Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesollie
psilosopher
Male

Loc: south oz
cardboard/otudoor mycelium cloning: a newbe.
    #8395240 - 05/13/08 01:21 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

hi all, im looking for comments, advice, anything people can share about the following.

after reading nearly every thread on here about cardboard cloning and outdoor cultivation, i decided to give it a go. i went to a local patch of woodlovers and collected a glad bag of woodchips. the patch hasnt started fruiting this year yet, but the chips are noticably myceliated.

ive done three things with the funkified chips:

1) i soaked some cardboard in a plastic tub (which was washed with bleach and rinsed), peeled off the top layer to expose the corrugations, spread a fistful of chips on that and covered it with the top layer again. it is now in my cellar which is cool, humid and dark, and i will keep it moist with water.

2) i put some into a large plant pot full of woody potting mix and will keep it watered (except when it rains). this is outside and gets probably 4-5 hours of morning sun.

3) i put some into a garden patch at home which consists of 10cm of garden loam as a base and 15cm of shredded pine bark mulch on top. the patch has a grid arrangement of agapanthas all spaced about a foot apart. the patch gets about 3-4 hours of direct midday sunlight.

so i have a few questions:

firstly, if and when my cardboard becomes colonised, at what point should i transfer it to outdoor patches? AND what can i do or what factors do i need to consider to ensure an effective transplant?

secondly, what are the chances of the second two methods working, i.e. direct woodchip to woodchip colonisation? and how can i help things along?

thirdly, does the cardboard need to be at a certain temperature to be colonised? the cellar stays consistently around the 18degC mark.

fourthly, am i on the right track with any of this?

cheers

--------------------
SPORE WATER
IN USE

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesollie
psilosopher
Male

Re: cardboard/otudoor mycelium cloning: a newbe. [Re: sollie]
    #8398384 - 05/13/08 08:36 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

bump. one more time around.

--------------------
SPORE WATER
IN USE

OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

Loc: In your Mind, Pedro! In y...
Trusted Cultivator
    #8399138 - 05/13/08 11:06 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Even wood lover mycelium likes to grow at around 25 degrees C.
So at 18°C it will grow I guess, but rather slow.

For the other two ways: Well, their mycelium is quiet resistant and hard to kill and as long as you provide enough moisture and fresh air, you have good chances to succeed, at least in ways of colonizing, the yet uncolonized wood chips.

However, you should do nature and yourself a favor and don't take any "bags" full of mycelium with you, for it's a) not necessary, since you can make a lot of mycelium from very few colonized wood chips in a very short period of time and b) you're harming the mycelium of the patch you took the wood chips from.

I know it's spring and I know, you probably didn't have any spores to work with, but for the future just go for VERY few wood chips and let them do what they do best: Colonize more wood chips :wink:

Offlinesollie
psilosopher
Male

Re: cardboard/otudoor mycelium cloning: a newbe. [Re: Fahkface]
    #8399598 - 05/14/08 02:34 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

thanks for the tips fahkface. i'll put my cardboard in a warmer place.

just to clarify, i'm from south australia so its autumn here, and you might not be familiar with gladbags...

there's about a palm full of chips from quite a large mulched garden. sorry for the miscommunication.

so if i end up with a big piece of colonised cardboard, whats the best way to transplant it into new mulch patches? just bury it and let nature do what it does?

and what are the chances of 2) and 3) fruiting? what can i do to help fruiting?

thanks for your time.

--------------------
SPORE WATER
IN USE

Offlinelearysprotoge
Stranger
    #8399863 - 05/14/08 06:54 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I know im about to do somthing allong these lines in CA

Offlineshroomyshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: cardboard/otudoor mycelium cloning: a newbe. [Re: learysprotoge]
    #8399870 - 05/14/08 06:58 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

very interested to see how this turns out... please keep us updated

--------------------
Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time around, but always time to fix up the mistakes you made in your rush to get the job done...

Offlinesollie
psilosopher
Male

Re: cardboard/otudoor mycelium cloning: a newbe. [Re: shroomyshroom]
    #8403932 - 05/15/08 02:45 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

shroomyshroom said:
very interested to see how this turns out... please keep us updated

certainly. thanks for the interest.

after two days, the mycelium in the cardboard has grown noticably. i've got pics from when i first set it up. i'l post the whole lot if and when my project is a success.

i still need tips on how best to transfer the colonised cardboard to outdoor mulch patches. do i just bury it? how deep under the chips? do i water them in? etc etc.

and also i'm still wondering if there's anything i can do to help the outdoor woodchip to woodchip colonies along, as per 2) and 3) in my OP.

and finally, is there a chance of any of these fruiting this season, i.e. in the next 3 months? or does the myc need longer than that to establish itself?

please if you're reading this and experienced in these methods at all, any advice would be massively appreciated.

--------------------
SPORE WATER
IN USE

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags