Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleveggieM

Doctors link marijuana to mental illness
    #3637265 - 01/16/05 11:13 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Doctors link marijuana to mental illness
Monday 17th January, 2005
bignewsnetwork.com

British doctors have connected marijuana use with rising rates of depression, psychosis and schizophrenia.

The Royal College of General Practitioners said that acceptance of the drug and greater availability of stronger forms of it were leading to rising rates of depression, psychosis and schizophrenia, The Telegraph of London reported Sunday.

Health warnings are falling on deaf ears, drowned out by the cries of powerful liberal pro-legalization groups, said Dr. Clare Gerada of the college's drugs misuse unit.

There is clear evidence that high levels of use, especially among teenagers who are physically and mentally still developing, carries with it the increased risk of psychosis and respiratory conditions such as asthma, she said.

More worrying, Gerada said, was the increase in super-strong versions of the drug, known as skunk. The truth is, genetically modified forms of the drug are the norm, she said.

The British Medical Journal in its January 2005 issue revealed that smoking cannabis once or twice a week almost doubled the risk of developing psychotic symptoms later in life.

Robin Murray, a professor of psychiatry at King's College London, has said that since the 1980s doctors have begun to see a link between psychotic symptoms and cannabis.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Doctors link marijuana to mental illness [Re: veggie]
    #3637296 - 01/16/05 11:20 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

How do they differentiate whether depressed people are double as likely to smoke marijuana or marijuana increases your chances of becoming depressed by twofold? It could very easily be the first one, people with psychosis, depression and other problems would seem to be more likely to search out and use mind-altering substances to try to feel better and take their mind off of their difficulties than normal happy people.

If they want to prove this they should try showing how marijuana neurologically causes increased risks of psychosis or other problems, rather than assuming that correlation equals causation.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineDarcho
PhysicallyDetermined

Re: Doctors link marijuana to mental illness [Re: Ravus]
    #3637476 - 01/17/05 12:14 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

We must have empirical evidence!

Are the symptoms caused by marijuana, or is marijuana (the smoking of) caused by the symptoms?

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #3637819 - 01/17/05 05:20 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

>genetically modified forms of the drug are the norm

Now this is bullshit.

Other than that, I don't smoke and some points she has might be valid.

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: Doctors link marijuana to mental illness [Re: Anno]
    #3637839 - 01/17/05 05:46 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

maybe people with mental illness have a greater tendency to use marijuana

thats like saying aspirin use causes pain

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
    #3638124 - 01/17/05 09:00 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

"More worrying, Gerada said, was the increase in super-strong versions of the drug, known as skunk. The truth is, genetically modified forms of the drug are the norm, she said."

That line is bogus.

Somthing not talked about in this is that the people that a depressed and skitzo often lilke marijuana a whole lot more then people that do not. More research.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #3638266 - 01/17/05 10:00 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

British doctors have connected marijuana use with rising rates of depression, psychosis and schizophrenia.

I bet if they tried hard enough, the could connect drinking water with rising rates of depression, psychosis, and schizophrenia.

Quote:

The Royal College of General Practitioners said that acceptance of the drug and greater availability of stronger forms of it were leading to rising rates of depression, psychosis and schizophrenia, The Telegraph of London reported Sunday.

Ah, so when the drug was not accepted, such as when it was legal, there were no problems... but now that the drug is not acceptable, and is illegal, it is leading to problems.

Besides, I saw the movie Refer Madness (an old black and white propganda flick). They showed regular people under the influence of this horrid drug, called marijuana, doing all kinds of crazy and psychotic things. The movie was unscripted and a real representation of the actual truth of the horrors of marijuana smoking.

Quote:

Health warnings are falling on deaf ears, drowned out by the cries of powerful liberal pro-legalization groups, said Dr. Clare Gerada of the college's drugs misuse unit.

Even the boy that cried wolf finally learned that if you lie to the people long enough, the eventually stop believing the lies. The pro-legalization groups are not stating that cannabis is hamless, only that adults should be allowed to decide if the risks are worth the rewards for themselves.

Quote:

There is clear evidence that high levels of use, especially among teenagers who are physically and mentally still developing, carries with it the increased risk of psychosis and respiratory conditions such as asthma, she said.

Funny, it took millions upon millions of documented cases over many decades to show any kind of link between lung cancer and tobacco smoke. Lets see what the peer review process has to say before we go all anti-drug with the press. Oh wait, we did the research to begin with so we could go anti-drug with the press...

Quote:

More worrying, Gerada said, was the increase in super-strong versions of the drug, known as skunk. The truth is, genetically modified forms of the drug are the norm, she said.

Ah yes, the super potent plant argument. Anybody that smokes cannabis knows that one smokes to a certain 'high' and then stops. If ones continues to smoke beyond the stopping point, things tend to go downhill and the high becomes much less pleasurable. Therefore, if the plant is stronger, then the smoker must inhale less bad stuff to get the same good feeling. This is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Quote:

The British Medical Journal in its January 2005 issue revealed that smoking cannabis once or twice a week almost doubled the risk of developing psychotic symptoms later in life.

Everybody makes mistakes, even the BMJ. Forgive me if I am sceptical of this type of research. I have seen too many studies done that were in error to trust much of anything. Ooops, we gave meth instead of mdma to the monkey. Ooops, we gave a years worth of cannabis to the monkey in a single sitting, but he died; therefore cannabis is a killer! Ooops, we ...

Quote:

Robin Murray, a professor of psychiatry at King's College London, has said that since the 1980s doctors have begun to see a link between psychotic symptoms and cannabis.

Seeing a link and proving something are causal are two very different things. We don't trust doctors that see a link because of thinks like the placebo effect or personal feelings which can scew the results of any non-scientific observations.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Anonymous

#3643291 - 01/18/05 12:42 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Correlation does not imply causation!

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #3666913 - 01/23/05 06:18 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I think the connection is that people prone to mental illness are more likely to go against societal taboos and do things like smoking pot... or wearing lots of body jewelry, or getting tattoos, buying an Edsel, etc...

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Offlineheidegger
Stranger

Re: Doctors link marijuana to mental illness [Re: ]
    #3667045 - 01/23/05 08:38 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Correlation does not imply causation, that is correct. However: it has long been known that there is some correlation, the new thing is that some of the recent studies explicitly find a causative role of Cannabis.

Consumption of Cannabis raises the susceptibility for such diseases in healthy subjects (a bit) as well as in predisposed subjects (quite substantially).

Is this a reason not to take the frequent consumption of Cannabis lightly? Yes it is. Is it a reason for making Cannabis illegal and threatening consumer with jail? Of course it is not.

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 6' under pushin up shroom...
    #3671170 - 01/24/05 03:23 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Eating fast food from McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, and other chains like these when coupled with a lack of daily exercise is directly linked to obesity in America.

Maybe we should make these places illegal as well, because god knows the american public needs to be protected from these health risks by passing more legislation to imprison those who know of the risks and still continue to indulge themselves. /endsarcasm

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Doctors link marijuana to mental illness [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #3671391 - 01/24/05 05:28 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Eating fast food from McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, and other chains like these when coupled with a lack of daily exercise is directly linked to obesity in America.

Working around cruise ships, I have seen just as many, if not more, obese Europeans as I have Amerians.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: Doctors link marijuana to mental illness [Re: Seuss]
    #3673721 - 01/24/05 06:31 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I can understand these results. Which is one reason I am very against the practice of psychology as a whole. It is pseudoscience passing off as science, which can totally manipulate data, as in this case.

I can attended after 3 years of heavy use of marijuana, the chance of someone "losing it". Let's face it.. its a drug that sends your mind to different places. Often to places that aren't in total coherence with the real world. This is not necessarily bad or good, but heavily influenced on maturity and responsibility of the user.

That being said, when psychology tries to put their bullshit subjective influence on the HIGHLY COMPLEX consciousness of human beings, (which hasn't even begun to be unraveled using hard physical data) the psychologists can claim mastery of the mind and then relate it to very simple objects and subsequently pass off bullshit theories as truth.

Ok enough of that.

This is also another reason drug users should take the stance, "I have a right to put what I want into my body, and I take full responsibility for my actions".... instead of, "BAN CIGARETTES ITS EVIL, but marijuana is PERFECTLY OK". We are bound to lose the yelling game of what is bad and what is good, instead if we use the defensible, "its my right" argument, then we can accept studies like this without it putting a dent in our armor at all.

Phewww.......

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 6' under pushin up shroom...
    #3675607 - 01/24/05 11:30 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
Quote:

Working around cruise ships, I have seen just as many, if not more, obese Europeans as I have Amerians.

You're right, it's not just an American problem. It's something that's happening in a lot of highly industrial countries. The UK being right behind America. I lived in the UK for 2 years. London to be exact and I know that at least in that city obesity is lower than what I've seen throughout the united states. While in Europe I did a great deal of traveling throughout france, germanay, belgium, italy, spain, etc. I didn't notice it then but when I came back to the states is when it really hit me just how different America is from the rest of Europe in regards to clinical obesity. This is just one man's observation though and is in no way scientific. But in my mind I see it as clear as night and day. Here's a picture I came across which I find rather humorous.

--------------------

Invisiblelooner2
ABBA fan

Re: Doctors link marijuana to mental illness [Re: 13eetleJuice]
    #3676788 - 01/25/05 08:48 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

The weird thing about the U.S.... you either see an obese person or a really fit person. It seems the middle ground is disappearing. Country of the extremes...

--------------------
I am in love with Acidic_Sloth

Offlinemseerob
Stranger
 User Gallery

#8402952 - 05/14/08 10:11 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:

I bet if they tried hard enough, the could connect drinking water with rising rates of depression, psychosis, and schizophrenia.

What the fuck? Your are the dumbest user I have ever seen on a forum!! How could drinking water increase the rate of depression, psychosis or schizophrenia when our bodies need water to live? We don't need to smoke marijuana to survive (Let's be serious now I know some pothead will say I need to smoke weed to get by) but water we need it, our body is like 70% water.

OfflineCoaster
BaĘżal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: Doctors link marijuana to mental illness [Re: mseerob]
    #8402988 - 05/14/08 10:18 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

weed has actually proven beneficial to asthma peeps

--------------------

OfflineTHEBats
FuturePsychopharmacologist
Male

Loc: Florida
Re: Doctors link marijuana to mental illness [Re: Coaster]
    #8403203 - 05/14/08 10:53 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

The chance of someone from the general population having schizophrenia is less than 1 % so that throws that out.

Offlinemseerob
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Doctors link marijuana to mental illness [Re: Coaster]
    #8550189 - 06/22/08 09:39 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Coaster said:
weed has actually proven beneficial to asthma peeps

No its not. Thats a fucking lie. I know from experience trust me....lol

Offlinesinenomine
Stranger
Re: Doctors link marijuana to mental illness [Re: mseerob]
    #8550216 - 06/22/08 09:54 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

The chances of developing schizo in the general population is a little under 1%, say around .8%.  If using cannabis raises the risks "40%" as they always blather on about, then your chances of developing schizo still hover around the 1.12% mark, which is still ridiculously low.  Why don't they ever talk about the 98.88% of pot smokers without any mental problems?  Plus, these were all representative population studies.  It is very strange, you must admit, that countries' mental health stats stay almost completely the same all the time with regards to schizo, while at the same times their cannabis use rates go up and down all the time?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale