Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
The Ad Hominem
    #839658 - 08/24/02 04:31 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

This tactic fortunately is used by only a few weak-minded, immature individuals here. These posters:

1. Violate the communal spirit.

2. Are unable to provide a logical counter point.

3. Have little ability to think or reason.

4. Have zero self-control and are subject to their emotional whims.

5. Are basically cowards, as they say something hiding faceless behind their computers, that they wouldn't have the courage to say to someone in person.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: The Ad Hominem [Re: Swami]
    #839709 - 08/24/02 05:33 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

There are two classes of ad hominem attack, one is valid and the other is not.

The valid one can occur in different settings. For example, if the setting is a legal courtroom the allocation of liar is certainly appropriate. On the other hand to malign a person's character in this setting might be inappropriate.

For the most part I agree with you. There is a certain amount of implicit decorum in a forum like this. Not only do personal attacks affect the content/substance ratio it often times derails a perfectly good thread while stirring up emotions that override a person's judgment. If people become overly wrought they are less apt to think clearly.

Cool heads think betterer.

Cheers,

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #839716 - 08/24/02 05:39 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

This tactic fortunately is used by only a few weak-minded, immature individuals here

Such as yourself.

I guess this thread is all because I asked you to explain what a "short circuit" of the brain was right? Did it hurt that much? Couldn't you just have been man enough to say "Sorry, I don't know, it's a meaningless term and I understand that now". I'd have just said "That's ok" and left it at that. No need to start waste of time threads about these mysterious un-named "posters" because you don't have the honesty to use my name.

Please stop wasting bandwidth with your childish insults. They are extremely tiresome and of no interest to anyone, least of all me. If you feel threatened by my posts try and respond intellectually instead of with insults.

btw, was number 5 implying that you would "beat me up" if we were face to face? How very communally spirited of you. Clearly you have the kind of spiritual nature we should all emulate.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Edited by Alex123 (08/24/02 05:49 AM)

Anonymous

Re: The Ad Hominem [Re: Xlea321]
    #839740 - 08/24/02 05:50 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I am curious.

Why do you find such replies to be necessary?

Are you feeling threatened? You make some interesting points at times but these kinds of responses from you leave me puzzled.

Did it occur to you that anyone's perception is a subjective matter? Even my interpretation of your remarks carries that distinction with it.

Again, why are these kinds of replies necessary?

Cheers,

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: The Ad Hominem [Re: ]
    #839750 - 08/24/02 05:55 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I think the question is more "was this entire thread necessary" and why swami feels the need to make these kinds of posts. Remember, he started the thread not me. Perhaps you could address the question to him?

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Anonymous

#839759 - 08/24/02 06:03 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

You are dodging the question. At this moment I am more interested in why you make such remarks. As is obvious there is no requirement that you answer the question but dodging it leaves me to ponder the answer without enough evidence to form a conclusion. There are mysteries I cannot fathom. This is but one.

Cheers,

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #839900 - 08/24/02 07:45 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Well, you see the problem i have taking you seriously on this Mr Mush. When swami or sclorch do exactly the same thing you never dream to ask them why they are doing it. You only feel the need to do that when I do it (in my gentler and more humourous fashion). Perhaps if you could ask a few questions of sclorch and swami I could attach more weight to your questions. Until then you can understand my doubts about how genuine you are on this.

Cheers.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #839911 - 08/24/02 07:51 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

btw, was number 5 implying that you would "beat me up" if we were face to face?

There was no mention of you, nor any threat, real or implied. Where do you come up with this paranoia?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Anonymous

#839916 - 08/24/02 07:53 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Such as yourself.

I guess this thread is all because I asked you to explain what a "short circuit" of the brain was right? Did it hurt that much? Couldn't you just have been man enough to say "Sorry, I don't know, it's a meaningless term and I understand that now". I'd have just said "That's ok" and left it at that. No need to start waste of time threads about these mysterious un-named "posters" because you don't have the honesty to use my name.

Please stop wasting bandwidth with your childish insults. They are extremely tiresome and of no interest to anyone, least of all me. If you feel threatened by my posts try and respond intellectually instead of with insults.

btw, was number 5 implying that you would "beat me up" if we were face to face? How very communally spirited of you. Clearly you have the kind of spiritual nature we should all emulate.

"... a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."
-- Shakespeare

Edited by Anonymous (08/24/02 08:15 AM)

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #839920 - 08/24/02 07:55 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

There was no mention of you, nor any threat, real or implied. Where do you come up with this paranoia?

Care to name the mysterious "posters" you had in mind then? Or are you too lilly-livered to even do that?

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #839929 - 08/24/02 08:01 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

"Like a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Get it right you silly old fart. "Like a tale". It sounds like you paid as much attention to shakespeare as you did to spirituality.

The qoute is actually "Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." - (Macbeth Act V, Scene V).

Stick to looking at those spoons in Burger King.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Edited by Alex123 (08/24/02 08:16 AM)

Anonymous

#839944 - 08/24/02 08:12 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Alex, you seem to have some issue with aggression, I suggest that you get it touch with your feminine side. By this I do not mean pulling on a penis the size of a clitoris.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #839947 - 08/24/02 08:13 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

No aggression son. I'm relaxed and laughing my ass off.

Cheers.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineGRTUD
INFP
Male

Loc: The Days Between
    #839960 - 08/24/02 08:22 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

"...relax Donnie, these men are cowards."

--------------------
"New shit has come to light..."

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
Re: The Ad Hominem [Re: GRTUD]
    #840283 - 08/24/02 11:44 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

"..how about we let this thread die now?"
-me

--------------------

Anonymous

#840445 - 08/24/02 01:26 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Get it right you silly old fart... Stick to looking at those spoons in Burger King.
Alex I want to thank you for correcting me, sometimes quoting from memory can be inaccurate.

Reading a post of yours is like reading "a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." (Macbeth Act V, Scene V).

Happy now? Keep licking those spoons of Gerber, if you scream loud enough maybe mommy will change your Huggies...

Edited by Anonymous (08/24/02 01:27 PM)

Anonymous

#840515 - 08/24/02 02:05 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Energy cannot be destroyed, only converted to matter, and vice versa.

Anonymous

#840522 - 08/24/02 02:11 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

Alex, you seem to have some issue with aggression, I suggest that you get it touch with your feminine side. By this I do not mean pulling on a penis the size of a clitoris.

lmao. Nice one.

OfflineDanimal
journeyman
    #840923 - 08/24/02 05:53 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I guess this thread is all because I asked you to explain what a "short circuit" of the brain was right? Did it hurt that much?

According to my definition(actually Webster's) of ad hominem, "did it hurt that much?" could be classified as an example, thus, according to your contention["such as yourself"], would put in the a same category as Swami.(The horror, the horror!).

I may be wrong, but I don't think I'm alone here when I say it's much easier[for some] to speak your mind freely over the internet than it is face to face. And it has nothing to do with getting your ass kicked, instead some people find security and comfort in the distance the internet provides you.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #841329 - 08/24/02 10:22 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

if you scream loud enough maybe mommy will change your Huggies...

Is all this hysteria because I pointed out that all the evidence shows you were wrong about humans making war for their entire 2 million year history? I didn't see a reply to that and thought you'd accepted it. Looks like it's been festering within you...

Keep your tongue wedged up swamis ass, he needs all the help he can get.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology