Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineperosiste
Overcomplicates shit for fun
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Wild Texas - fatass pin [Re: nonlinear]
    #8433141 - 05/22/08 02:17 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

nonlinear said:
oh wow, fertilizer

i did some experiments with a bunch of different substrate mixes about 1.5 weeks ago.  mixtures of bulgur, brown rice, ground flours of each, verm, and fertilizer.  it was pretty crazy and i had like 12 1/2 p[ints and 5 pint jars.  people on the chat (maybe it was ohmatic or someone like that) were being MAJOR pessimistic and telling me i wouldn't find anything out and it's a waste of money, blah balh

anyhow... i wrote on the outside of the jars in sharpie the contents of each substrate.  unfortunately, it all pressure cooked off except for on a couple of jars.  that SUCKED because I was taking detailed notes and was planning on measuring percent cover time series for each substrate, and then writing the experiments up for this site. 

ANYHOW, i can read the marker on a couple of jars, and I have one that is just about fully colonized, and it was a "ground bulgur flour, tomato fert (maybe 15-20-15), and vermiculite (very fine).  That jar colonized SUPER quick, and its way farther along than all the other jars.  unfortunately, i had another of it, but i can't tell which one it is

but anyhow, i plan to experiment more with substrates supplements in the future.  i just need to fix my jar labeling tek first :smile:

but yea, in my expereince adding fertilizer helps colonization a ton.

i have the fertilizer mass i added at home in my log.  its just what the can suggests.  same concentration in water that I added to the jar.

what I do is number the inside of the jar lid with a marker or a sticker and then keep notes on what each number corresponds to.

--------------------
Risk Management will be the downfall of western civilization

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenonlinear
armour plated farmer
Male

Re: Wild Texas - fatass pin [Re: nonlinear]
    #8433155 - 05/22/08 02:23 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

but aside from this ancedotal evidence in favor of fertilizer, to answer this question all we need to do is see if our fertilizers provide nitrogen and phosphorous and whatever in forms that can be metabolized by fungi. i'll maybe look into that tonight.

mycorhizae that grow on plant roots, e.g. can convert amino acids, nucleotides, and other organic stuff into nitgrogen usable by plants. but i don't know if they can take in the nitrates in the fertilizer.

anyhow, i got a couple staments books i'll look at when i get home

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag