Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Estonia
Re: Shroom Hunt Log - The Trinidadian Purple Skirt [Re: canid]
    #828323 - 08/19/02 01:30 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I for one hope you do not decide to stop this thread, I think it is great. I am always curious to find out more about new or rare mushrooms and genuinely hope that you do find it, not to prove yourself to anyone, just to find it.

Cheers

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineOrchidman
enthusiast
Loc: Toronto
Re: Hunt Log - The Trinidadian Purple Skirt Updated! [Re: mushroomaniac]
    #829318 - 08/19/02 11:25 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

You are hunting mushrooms in one of the most beautiful places in the entire world. That waterfall is absolutely spectacular.

My comment is that just because it is not documented does not mean it does not exist. Psilocybe cyanescens has been found in Ottawa growing wild. Yes someone brought it there but it now has naturalized itself. At -35c degrees, this is outside the growth perameters but it has somehow adapted to these conditions. Perhaps some careless tourist dropped a piece of azurescens while looking at the waterfall. The conditions are ideal for growth there. Maybe after waiting 7 years to get cold temperatures it decided to fruit anyway. Mr G claims B+ was a mutated azurescens. Maybe it was a B+ that the tourist dropped. Some of them look a lot like azurescens. In the periphery of the waterfall any mushroom could survive if it could eat wood.

I think you are a bit early for your hunt but close. At the end of the rainy season as the temperatures cool a bit is when you will find them I think.

--------------------
I've been having psilly dreams lately

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Hunt Log - The Trinidadian Purple Skirt Updated! [Re: Orchidman]
    #829520 - 08/20/02 04:37 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Did you know that Dr. Ricahrd Evans Schultes was the leading expert on Orchidss in the world, having also discovered numerous speices of orchids including many which bear his name.

Orchidman, you said that"this is outside the growth perameters but it has somehow adapted to these conditions.

It is not outside of the growth parameters for P. cyanescens, it is a cold weather species which grows in northern teperate climates

Its range of growth is from San Francisco (38 degrees North to 58 degrees north (on parts of northern Russia and China). It is also common in many Baltic countries at those degrees north of the equator.

Ottawa is 46 dgrees north of the equator as is British Colombia where it thrives in man made enviornments. So there is nothing unusual about it being in Ottawa, Canada. It occurs there naturally and is not an introduced species. It grows rarely in the wild and only in small fruitings

It is also common in England which happens to be 52 degerees north of the equator and that is 6 degrees north of Otttawa on the globe.

It is also very common in Germany and its range is way north of Berlin which is 58 degrees north of the equator being 12 degrees even north of Ottawa.

It is also common in Russia and China at those ranges.

And it does not grow in A tropical climate such as Trinidad and Tobago as you imply in your note above. Trinidad and Tobaggo are 10 degrees north of the equator.

Again Mr. G's does not know what he talks about saying P. cubensis is a azurescens hybred and or a cross between P. cubensis and/or P. azurescens. That is full of shit. His B+ is a cubensis, nothing more and that is all there is too it and P. cubensis does not resemble P. azurescens in any way form or shape. Although they both have characteristics which dominate the genus Psilocybe of which there are nor w over 192 species known.

And then you claim: " Maybe it was a B+ that the tourist dropped. Some of them look a lot like azurescens."

No Psilocybe cubensis looks anything like Psilocye azurescens. The color of P. cubensis is golden copper brown at the toip to creamy off-white and eventually straw yellow in drying.

The Cubes sometimes have an umbo but it is barely noticible while the P. azurescens cap color is chestnut to ochreaceos cinnamon to straw yellow in drying.

Here are two comparison photos fpor you to look at.

and P. cubensis:

And as you can see they do notr look anything like each oterh ever.

I will be posting some new papers on several newly named species in a week or so before i take off for SE Asia.

And by the way orchidman,

And again, Trinidad and Tobago is aprox 10 degrees north of the equator, A very tropical climate where no cold weather mushroom exists. P. azurescens is a cold weather mushroom found only basically along the Coastal region of Hammond and Astoria Oregon.

Yes some have made transplants of P. azurescens into other cold weather regions but they only grow for a year and have to be remulched into a new area. Gartz has planted them in Germany since he and I collected specimens in the early 1990s. And every year they did not return. He then replanted more from his lab at the university of Leipzig. And later implanted the growths into new mulch areas which he has had to replant every season to get growth.

Regarding B+ growing on woodchips. If it has a manured compost below the layer of the chips. That would be indoors not outdoors. The cubensis are coprophilac shrooms growing from the manure compost not from decay wood byproducts

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (08/20/02 07:46 AM)

OfflineOrchidman
enthusiast
Re: Hunt Log - The Trinidadian Purple Skirt Updated! [Re: mjshroomer]
    #830601 - 08/20/02 02:01 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

One of the nice things about mountains in the tropics is that the higher up one goes, the cooler it is. I have seen street children in Bogata freezing in the nights although it is equatorial. In Trinidad there are mountains and snow has been documented on the mountain tops, although it is a very rare occurrance. However, between October and January there is a definite cooling in the climate. The ocean becomes uncomfortably cold at times due to the ocean currents. I don't find it hard to believe that there are many cool days and colder nights in the mountains of Trinidad. Below 60 degrees for a few weeks is very possible, especially at night. With orchids it is the colder night temperatures that stimulate some species to bloom. I have even experienced cold nights in Cartagena which is at sea level and is about 10 degrees North.
My friend Kamala was raised on the mountain in the photograph very close to this waterfall. She said her uncle grazed 25 head of cattle very close to the waterfall. Her brother studies bats for the government on this mountain. She says there are lots and lots of bats there of different varieties, even Vampires. A colony of bats can spread a lot of dung over a wide area. Perhaps the Trinidadian Purple Skirt is a dung eater. I use fossilized fruit bat guano as fertilizer for my orchids and it is extremely nutritious. The nutrients from the dung could wash down the mountain from the farms above the falls into the forest.

I refuse to close my mind to any possibility until I see the mushrooms.

--------------------

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Estonia
    #831205 - 08/20/02 06:34 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Bravo orchid...like I always say...mushrooms like all other living creatures, refuse to live by the rules...I often find exceptions when going hunting...I really don;t think I will ever come accross a cubie in Ottawa...but I would like to find those cyans...which could but are not supposed to grow here. The other thing I was thinking, is that this purple skirt could be a type of cubie...hence the name "puple skirt"or perhaps something similar to a warmer.. wood loving mushroom like subaeuruginosa or something...which resemble azures more than cubs ...but of course are usually easy to distinguish...man I hope you find these purple sjirts...cheers.

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

OfflineOrchidman
enthusiast
Re: Hunt Log - The Trinidadian Purple Skirt Updated! [Re: StInvetroThomas]
    #831730 - 08/20/02 11:13 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

There are over 50,000 known species of orchids and every year new ones are discovered as territories are opened up to exploration. The most curious ones are the Asian orchids that are discovered along the west coast of South America. How did they get there? Certainly the spores can travel hundreds of miles on the air currents, but thousands of miles across the Pacific is almost unbelievable. Like mushroom spores, orchid spores can travel in the gullet of a bird, or the intestine of an animal. However it seems hard to believe a bird would fly 5000 miles across the ocean when all he had to do was stay put and dig for fish. They might have floated across on the coconuts as they floated on the ocean currents, but the salt would surely kill the spores. Nobody can figure out how they got there, but they are there. New species are discovered every year that confound imagination. Mutations are frequent and natural hybrids are formed. I don't find it hard to believe that a new species of mushroom exists, just waiting to be discovered. Lets hope the Trinidadian Purple Skirt is the Zinger we've all been waiting for.

--------------------

OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Loc: ON DA BLOCK
    #832514 - 08/21/02 08:39 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

dude this is totally interesting i hope he finds them that would be totally kick ass

--------------------
This place is gayer than when the balls touch

OfflineShroomSkin
Liberty or Death

Loc: Don't Tread on Me
Re: Hunt Log - The Trinidadian Purple Skirt Updated! [Re: Dobie]
    #832624 - 08/21/02 09:07 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I know! Keep the thread goin! PLEASE?? I'm interested no matter what you find, its kinda like watching a movie hehe

--------------------
---
Stay gold.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #832878 - 08/21/02 10:08 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Hey Orchidman, While I am in SE Asia I will try to take my crew to one of the many orchid farms here. The Thais grow some of the most beautiful orchids in the world. I have pictures somewhere to show you. I remember on one of my early trips from Honolulu to Thailand there swere several botanists form hawaii onthe plane going to Thailand to study how the Thais grow the orchis which they grow.

mj

OfflineOrchidman
enthusiast
Re: Hunt Log - The Trinidadian Purple Skirt Updated! [Re: mjshroomer]
    #833561 - 08/21/02 01:58 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Mjshroomer,
The Thais are the largest producers of orchids in the world. They have the climate and they have very cheap labour. Now they will really be a force as they have discovered how profitable the ladies' slippers are and have switched their focus to them using the techniques they had previously used on Phalaenopsis. I think this time when you get there you will really have a show. Ladies' slippers are my favorite and I have hundreds. They are very expensive as they take a long time to mature. The Thai's however, will be able to do it cheaper and better than anyone. You really should investigate their labs when you are there. They start the spores in sterile flasks of agar just like mushrooms, but their technique must be flawless as they keep the flasks sealed for several years. Some of their techniques might be useful for mushrooms.
I really hope you have a nice trip to Asia this time. I'd love to see some photos of orchids if you can get them. They are the most highly evolved of all plants, but I consider them a sort of combination mushroom/plant because of the spores.

--------------------

Offlinejjbigbuds
Mountain Hermit
Male User Gallery

Loc: on the move
    #833888 - 08/21/02 03:57 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Props to you for the retraction--this is a great thread, and I'm looking forward to seeing the result of The Hunt for the Trinidadian Purple Skirt. In the continuing vein of goodwill on this thread, I thought I might point out that your sig line is in error from the quote I believe you wish to present-- that is, the quote is: "If you are NOT living on the edge, then you are taking up too much space." I hope I do not offend...jjbb

--------------------
Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.
- Jules de Gautier

Hey Noobs: Afraid of agar? Don't be. Read No-Pour Agar Tek

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Shroom Hunt Log - The Trinidadian Purple Skirt [Re: jjbigbuds]
    #834103 - 08/21/02 05:26 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

jjbigbuds, none taken, I am not sure on the origin of the quote but the variation in my signature is, i believe, intended to express that even living on the edge is not enough.
...and mushroommaniac, I hope you will continue this thread, if not for my sake, then for that of those who have done nothing to offend you. I hope also that you can forgive my hasteful and undeserved judgement. This realy is a good thread.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinemushroomaniac
Cattle Lover

Loc: Coconut tree #323, in the...
    #838429 - 08/23/02 01:53 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Just an update, found many 'Panaeolus cyanescens' in a sort of 'hidden cow field'. It was a magical experience, and I have never seen this field before. It is located on the North Eastern Coast of Trinidad, a place called Sally Bay. Two friends and I were driving in the area to hit the surf 'great ocen break on a reef' and came across this Huge plot of land, it was surrounded by tall grasses and bush, we noticed a small covered path on the side, we got out of the car, walked through the rough path, and to our suprise it was the most beautiful cow field in the worls, it was almost like a hidden valley. Must of had 20-30 cows and 10-15 Water Buffalo. Every two steps had a pile of shit, it was great, anyway the field is riddled with Panaeolus cyanescens, since I was planning on going surfing and not shroom hunting I did'nt have my camera, but I got a few prints, if any one is interested in some wild Panaeolus cyanescens PM me, I'll post this in the exchange forum. They were loike nothing I had ever seen, when making the prints, within basically 15 mins the caps were almost full blue. I am going back hopefully sunday to my secret field, with a camera, it has been raining allot for the past 4 or 5 days, so the fields should be nice and saturated.

About the forum closing, I'll have to give it more thought

--------------------
We're all our father's fastest swimmers!

Edited by mushroomaniac (08/23/02 01:59 PM)

OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Re: Shroom Hunt Log - The Trinidadian Purple Skirt [Re: mushroomaniac]
    #838453 - 08/23/02 02:02 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

dude totally post some pics man

--------------------

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Hunt Log - The Trinidadian Purple Skirt Updated! [Re: mushroomaniac]
    #838589 - 08/23/02 03:25 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Hello - let me just add a few facts into this...

Panaeolus papilionaceus (non-active) is known from;
Bahamas
Cuba
Puerto Rico
San Vincent Island

--------------------------
Your best bets throughout most of the Caribbean is in fact;
Psilocybe Cubensis
&
Copelandia (Panaeolus) cyanescens
--------------------------

The Pan. papilionaceus could, to the untrained individual, throw a curve on the identification of the sought after "blue meanies" or Panaeolus (Copelandia) cyanescens.
Panaeolus cyan's are psychoactive and yes they will stain a very obvious blue when handled.
Pan. papilionaceus grows on dung, and is not psychoactive and never stains blue.

--------------------------------

Other more obscurely sought after Shrooms throughout the Carribean are;

Cuba
Psilocybe plutonia

Guadalupe
Panaeolus subbalteatus
Psilocybe plutonia

Jamaica
Panaeolus fimicola
Psilocybe fuliginosa
Psilocybe mammilata

Martinique
Psilocybe caerulescens variation caerulescens*
Psilocybe plutonia
Psilocybe yungensis

Puerto Rico
Psilocybe guilartensis
Psilocybe portoricensis
Psilocybe subcubensis (basically identical to P. cubensis, only smaller spores dimensions when seen under microscope)

----------------------------------
Hope this helps a little bit,
Have great travels dude,
GG

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
    #838944 - 08/23/02 06:02 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I hope to see more pics on your quest to find the 'Trinidad Purple Skirt' be it an azure a cub. a cyan. or whatever the fuck it is. The journey is more important then the destination, and so far you have shown us some beautiful countryside. As for all this "this species doesn't ever grow there" rhetoric, you cannot definitively exclude any species from a region. Nature has an odd way of fooling man.

Keep up the search and the pictures Mushroommaniac!!!

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #839314 - 08/23/02 08:25 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I totally respect your adventure and cool head when dealing with the constructive feedback in regards to your thread. Like I said I am not aware of azures growing in your climate. I am open to new ideas and finds. Keep up your accurate reporting in an attept to elucidate the species you are looking for. I think I will swim to your local if you give me a place to sleep. Please do not take my comments as an attack in any way. I don't think MJ meant it in that way either.

Shroom on bro'!!

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Re: Shroom Hunt Log - The Trinidadian Purple Skirt [Re: Joshua]
    #943402 - 10/08/02 03:57 PM (21 years, 5 months ago)

what ever happened to this i wanted to see these mushies

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate