Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Loc: ON DA BLOCK
get rid of number of posts
    #838443 - 08/23/02 01:58 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

i think it would stop allota the whoring cause then who would know who has the most posts

--------------------
This place is gayer than when the balls touch

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMechanicalMan
Stranger

Re: get rid of number of posts [Re: Dobie]
    #838545 - 08/23/02 02:57 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

That is only a problem in OTD. OTD and the ?post whores? there are lame. But that is the point of OTD; to keep all of those idiots out of the ?real? forums. I don?t think anything needs to be changed just to accommodate people who spend a lot of time in OTD. If you don?t like all of the stupid shit that goes on in OTD, then stop spending so much time there. That?s just my opinion, not trying to flame. I don't think your solution would work anyway...at least not entirely.

BTW, 250 posts in a week? If you are so concerned with stopping all of the post whoring, maybe you should start with yourself.

OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Re: get rid of number of posts [Re: MechanicalMan]
    #838654 - 08/23/02 04:01 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

lol im not concerned with my number of post i knew someone was gonna say that im just a really bored guy with no friends besieds his bong and his cable modem

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #839620 - 08/24/02 01:33 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I think it's a good idea. I think the content of OTD would be a little better. You'd still have people posting about how their farts smell, but people would stop posting just to up their post count.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflineT0aD
Stranger

Re: get rid of number of posts [Re: Learyfan]
    #840032 - 08/24/02 07:24 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

thats stupid I think
We whore only in whore threadz and dont mess with the other ones

--------------------
Cuba Libre

InvisibleUFOz8MyGoat
The Governator Sayz Go Chagaz
Male

Loc: USA
Re: get rid of number of posts [Re: T0aD]
    #840039 - 08/24/02 07:27 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

deep down everyone is a whore.In a chat room you can type retarded shit and get away with it but in OTD everything must be usefull,meaningfull,enlightening that just isnt me sorry i'm retarded and sto0pid hehe people need to lighten the fuck up!!!!

Edited by ShroomlessInOkla (08/24/02 07:30 AM)

OfflineMechanicalMan
Stranger

#840186 - 08/24/02 08:48 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

>> in OTD everything must be usefull....that just isnt me sorry i'm retarded and sto0pid

Told you so, dobie.
People don't just post 200 times a day to get their post count up. Who the hell cares what their post count is anyway? People post that much because?well, he just told you why. Getting rid of the post count wouldn?t change OTD?at least not very much.

OfflineT0aD
Stranger

#840232 - 08/24/02 09:12 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

OriGGinO GuNN ClAPPAz

--------------------
Cuba Libre

OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Re: get rid of number of posts [Re: T0aD]
    #840416 - 08/24/02 11:06 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

yea it would stop people like ^^^^^ from postin shit like this

--------------------

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
    #840949 - 08/24/02 04:03 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I agree with getting rid of the posts. In my opinion the people in charge of this board have overlooked this for ages because of the secret OTD forum that some are privvy to. I mean if I was a member of that forum I certainly wouldn't give two hoots about the lesser OTD aswell.

InvisibleLittle Shroom
Resident Faerie
Female

Loc: Toronto, Canada
    #841042 - 08/24/02 05:03 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In reply to:

BTW, 250 posts in a week? If you are so concerned with stopping all of the post whoring, maybe you should start with yourself

Excellent point, my good man.

InvisibleLittle Shroom
Resident Faerie
Female

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Re: get rid of number of posts [Re: Little Shroom]
    #841052 - 08/24/02 05:07 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

BY THE WAY...

I don't think that deleting the post counts would be a very swell idea... it would raise shit with a lot of people. They would post, and post, and post some more about how the admins were wrong to do it.

MechanicalMan is right... OTD keeps the whores out of the forums that people give a shit about... OTD is already fucked, so why bother to try and change it? Cheers is open to people who are willing to put up a good conversation, and NOT spam, whore around, fight, flame, etc... etc...

Anonymous

Re: get rid of number of posts [Re: Little Shroom]
    #841083 - 08/24/02 05:22 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

What is this Cheers you so speak of?

In general, I think S&P has some pretty good conversation, but then there are the few who refuse to agree to disagree or have to insult people because they don't feel the same...quite sad at times, very sad.

*Edit* Oh yeah...if you try to look at my previous posts and wonder wtf, you can than Moe ...he doesn't know how to pay attention to the entire pm.

Edited by guitarguy (08/24/02 05:25 PM)

OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Re: get rid of number of posts [Re: ]
    #841123 - 08/24/02 05:45 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

there really is a cheers forum

--------------------

InvisibleSmack31
Stranger

#841216 - 08/24/02 06:55 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

i don't like this idea...

OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (523) 327-2836
    #841443 - 08/24/02 10:30 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Whoring will always be around...the only thing that might change by getting rid of the post count feature is the floods of pointlees trailing posts that are put in by people wanting to raise their status, but the general state of post whoredom will always be there. There still will be people creating pointless threads in OTD just to hear themselves speak (just like always) and there will still be plenty of people throwing in their two cents worth (or 1/2 cent's worth, depending on how you look at it) just like always. You can't do anything to get rid of whoredom all together, cause it's as much a part of the shroomery as the forums themselves. So getting rid of a post count isn't going to do a damn thing to stop it. The best you can hope to accomplish by doing something like that would be to cut back on some of it...but it will never be gotten rid of completely. (and that's not some lame ass threat or anything, it's just a simple fact...or rather, an assumption based off of personal observation which I choose to accept as fact)

Regardless...my two cents on the matter -
If you trying to stop whoredom then you're just wasting your time, and you might as well leave it in....cause obviously it's not going to 'solve' anything. But if all you're trying to do is reduce the number of completely pointles, utterly useless as posts flooding OTD...then I say "why the fuck not?" I mean, I personally value my post count, but I know damn well I can do without it. Sure I'd like to be able to have something to show for my countless number of hours spend here (sort of a trophy of lameness if you will) but I'm not going to cut back on my posts just because I can't keep track of how many I have anymore. I can live without that extra ego boost I get from knowing that my time wasted here is at leaste resulting in a bit of a post-whore scocial stature (e.g. by slowly moving up the list I don't feel so bad about wasting away my life on some internet message board) and if that's what it takes to not have to wade through hundreds of one word posts a day, then I'd consider it a noble sacrifice. So yeah, I guess I'm all for it.

/me shudders after previewing what I just said...perhaps I need a cat-scan

--------------------

:craven:  Ravings of a Madman  :craven:

OfflineMechanicalMan
Stranger

Re: get rid of number of posts [Re: Muppet]
    #841514 - 08/25/02 12:05 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In reply to:

Reged: 08/14/02

I personally value my post count

I know I'm impressed. Wish I had the skill (and the luxury) to sit on my ass all day posting in OTD. I know that whenever I see someone who has been a member for 10 days and already has 650 posts, I just automatically assume they are fucking Stephen Hawking or something.

Edited by MechanicalMan (08/25/02 12:07 AM)

Invisibleboxtop703
ThesaurusLinguae Graecae
 User Gallery

#841518 - 08/25/02 12:09 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

#841520 - 08/25/02 12:14 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I like the post counts, and I say we keep them even though cutting it probably would help discourage post whoring--eventually (after the initial backlash that LS mentioned).

In reply to:

I know I'm impressed. Wish I had the skill (and the luxury) to sit on my ass all day posting in OTD. I know that whenever I see someone who has been a member for 10 days and already has 650 posts, I just automatically assume they are fucking Stephen Hawking or something.

I hope Mr. Hawking doesn't see that... He is a Shroomerite, isn't he? I'm sure I've seen him perusing the boards; he gets around more than you'd think.

--------------------

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

Re: get rid of number of posts [Re: boxtop703]
    #841522 - 08/25/02 12:16 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

The numbers are accurate for the majority of posters.

--------------------

OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (523) 327-2836
    #841530 - 08/25/02 12:28 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

you're not too far off on that one MechanicalMan...I'm not as famous as Stephen Hawking though

--------------------

:craven:  Ravings of a Madman  :craven:

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #842197 - 08/25/02 12:13 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I say keep the post count. I don't think post whoring is driven by post count as much as it is driven by a general attitude of whorishness that some members possess.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
Re: get rid of number of posts [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #843128 - 08/25/02 09:08 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Post whoring is for no reason other than postcount.

It most definitely makes a lot of difference. All that is needed to do is make posts in the off topic discussion not count. It can't be an amazing amount of code.

It is a bit disconcerting to be talking to someone with 2000 posts and no idea as to how to do anything related to what this board is generally about, that is the acquisition of mushrooms.

When I was here a few years back under a different guise I must have posted about 250 times in about a year. Back then an amount like that was pretty good, most of the other guys including moe werent' very high either.

I'm not really all for this high post high status crap but I don't like the idea of these morons with 12000 posts with no idea what they are doing.

And it REALLY SUCKS that you cannot post anything really off the topic in off-topic because its all about a bunch of fools talking nothing but crap (there might be a few decent topics once in a blue moon).

InvisibleSmack31
Stranger

Re: get rid of number of posts [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #843136 - 08/25/02 09:14 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

>I don't think post whoring is driven by post count

amen...

for some people it is, but for most of the others it's just a matter of having fun on the board or adding their thoughts where ever they can.

InvisibleSmack31
Stranger

Re: get rid of number of posts [Re: utopianglory]
    #843151 - 08/25/02 09:38 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

>And it REALLY SUCKS that you cannot post anything really off the topic in off-topic because its all about a bunch of fools talking nothing but crap (there might be a few decent topics once in a blue moon).

maybe if the people that bitched about off topic all the time would post these good threads with substance, maybe things would be different. but instead you get a bunch of people starting threads about how much everything sucks and about how stupid all the people that post in otd are. What does that do to fix anything? jack shit... it only makes things worse. So then these people decide to make a private forum to get away from the stupid people. So now all the people that had the potential to start a good thread are posting somewhere else and all that's left in otd is the people that start the "stupid shit" and the new kids that are joining.

a forum is only going to be as good as the people and the topics that get posted in it. If you don't like OTD, do something to try and change it, and that would be to start making the type of posts that interest you. It's like moving into a basement that has that damp basement smell... the smell only goes away after you have lived in it for a while.

(ps, this post wasn't made directly at you)

InvisibleSmack31
Stranger

Re: get rid of number of posts [Re: Smack31]
    #843153 - 08/25/02 09:39 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

oh yeah, my main point was... getting rid of the post count isn't going to change ANYTHING. there are bigger issues to worry about.

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
    #843159 - 08/25/02 09:52 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Argh, I say let?s board this harrr thread and plunder her for her rich post-count bootie! Post Counts be a Thread-Pirate?s Gold!

Follow me mateys -- those who ate still awake anyway -- I say let?s plunder this thread! Argh!

--------------------

Edited by papaver (08/25/02 09:58 PM)

InvisibleSmack31
Stranger

Re: get rid of number of posts [Re: Papaver]
    #843168 - 08/25/02 10:00 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

raise the jolly roger! and make the captives walk the plank...

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

#843172 - 08/25/02 10:04 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Argh, save the pretty ones for the slave traders in the West Indies! Argh...

--------------------

InvisibleSmack31
Stranger

#843176 - 08/25/02 10:07 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

yarrrr! me thinks the little shroom would be a fine wench for my private quarters... take her below deck

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

#843178 - 08/25/02 10:10 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Arrr, hands of the merchandise me laddie. Don't eat the profits. We're trying to run a business here...

--------------------

InvisibleSmack31
Stranger

#843180 - 08/25/02 10:14 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

the wench is mine! if we must duel than so be it, but i'm warnin' ya, there will be a horrible bloodshed...

Offlinemr freedom
enthusiast
    #864229 - 09/04/02 06:31 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, get rid of post counts. The only backlash would be by those that consider post COUNT the only contributing factor to their existance here.
Um, I am sure that I don't have a post count high enough to qualify for including my opinion, but I have been around for some time.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom