Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJimBoB
sucky sucky 10dollar

Loc: England.
A few questions
    #838437 - 08/23/02 03:54 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Aight, ive never been magic mushroom hunting before or even taken them, so I little knowledge of how to tell apart safe shrooms from deadlyones. I live in the UK so i'll mainly be looking for liberty caps and i forget the other ones name. Anyway i need to know will it just be enough for me to use collins, mushrooms and toadstool guide? Ive been told on some website that its fairly safe to tell the diffrence using a guide... just like to know from someons personal expirence. Also what time of year in england would it be best to go hunting? Is it best to go picking just after its rained? Can I just clean shrooms and eat them raw? Sorry for the mass amount ofquestions, but i dont know shit

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: A few questions [Re: JimBoB]
    #838617 - 08/23/02 05:43 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I'm unfamiliar with Collins guide, so I won't guess how good or bad it is. Photos are a way to start the ID of a mushroom, but you need then to compare the mushroom to the detailed description of the mushroom. If it doesn't agree entirely, then you've got the wrong ID. If you're considering putting the mushrooms you find in your mouth, you should also know (at least) all the deadly mushrooms which grow in your area so you can be certain what you have isn't one of them. In general, saprophytic mushrooms (all the psilocybin mushrooms are saprophytes) fruit 10 - 14 days after receiving moisture (if it has been dry). If you've had resonable rainfall, then they should be up in perhaps half that time (sometimes even less, but at least a couple days). The largest fruiting of mushrooms is around when the season starts to turn from summer to autumn. If there's a nearby mycological society they could tell you when the big season is. Most people eat the psilocybin mushrooms raw.

The biggest thing to remember about mushroom hunting when you're going to eat it (for whatever reason) is if in doubt, throw it out. Be very sure you have the correct ones before you eat them.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: A few questions [Re: JimBoB]
    #839222 - 08/23/02 09:46 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

To start, any site that tells you that it is safe for a biginning hunter to cunsume wild mushrooms based only on a handquide is going to get itself in trouble one way or the other. With semies (liberty caps) it is relatively safe but be carefull.
You might take a look at these resources:
P. semilancata:
safepic
MJ's id guide
I hope this has been helpfull.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleI_Stain_Blue
abominableshroomman

Loc: police state
Re: A few questions [Re: canid]
    #839306 - 08/23/02 10:22 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

where can i find a guide that tells the deadly shrooms in my area? that would be helpful

--------------------
Be Here Now

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: A few questions [Re: I_Stain_Blue]
    #839359 - 08/23/02 10:45 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I Stain Blue, this might give you a start:
here

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: A few questions [Re: I_Stain_Blue]
    #839778 - 08/24/02 06:12 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Most guide books include a section on mushroom poisoning. Read that section, and study the deadly mushrooms it mentions. You'll probably end up learning a few that you'll never see, but that doesn't hurt. Learn at least the overall characters of the deadly mushrooms. Then you can at least know that what you plan to eat is not one of them, or know that you'd better study the mushroom very closely before you eat it to be sure it's not deadly.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleI_Stain_Blue
abominableshroomman

Loc: police state
Re: A few questions [Re: ToxicMan]
    #839975 - 08/24/02 08:35 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

sweet, concrete feet..

i went camping in kisatchie natl forest last winter (winter is the only comfortable time to camp here), and of course i ate mushrooms!

--------------------
Be Here Now

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification