Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblematits
Percocet Pirate
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Midwest USA
No good pictures left.... But I need some help identifying them...
    #8380659 - 05/09/08 04:44 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Hello. Today my buddy and I went for a massive trek though the woods. We couldn't get the truck down into the field where we normally enter. So we had to drive the truck down the road and park off to the side of the road and walk to tree line. Well I looked into the woods and thought fuck I know there has to be something in here. It looks and feels like how the ambient humidity and the same look and feel of the area where we found them before. It had the same foliage as well. So we started humping the trail or lack there of. I started seeing tons of animal tracks. So on our journey in, we started seeing morels on the other side of the creek. So my buddy shimmied across pipes that are probably gas lines and downed trees. On our trek their we amassed a bunch of morels 4 inches or larger. It was great.

Then we found these 2 mushrooms at my aunts house in her forest. It used to be tons of deciduous and conifers. They have had several storms from Ice to the recent tornado going through their yard and through the forests and fields.

I don't have a picture since my camera had just died right before my buddy spotted them. They were off by themselves but were probably 20 feet apart. They were the only ones we saw. The were like an elongated egg with a white stalk. It has a white veil that when the cap gets taller the veil is broken free. These were just broken. The shrooms had a tint of pink through the white as they were younger, and as the got older it looked more purple. Then as they bruised they bruised dark gray or blackish. I found several more specimens when we went to another spot and as they were more mature they were darker.

I am sorry for the whole no picture thing but I think you can help me by my description.

We are in Kansas in mostly deciduous forests but the occasional conifer isn't out of the question.

I am thinking that it is the Shaggy Mane. But from all of the pictures that I see. The shaggy mane exhibits "flakey" texture on the exterior skin. These were smooth. I think that it could be due to the maturity. They weren't that mature. But that is the only thing that is bothering me. I am pretty sure, about 97% sure that that is what they are.

Thanks for all the help!

Matits.

--------------------
---        ---
    Matits
---        ---
--------------------

Anything Matits says or insinuates is a lie and is totally constructed of lies. It is a fairy tale and should be taken at face value. Matits makes things up that are untrue. Any picture or statements made by Matits are made up or fabricated... like Trump's wig.

My favorite NSFW shirt company I buy a ton of shirts from.
http://tiny.cc/myfavshirtsite

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: No good pictures left.... But I need some help identifying them... [Re: matits]
    #8380783 - 05/09/08 06:27 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Hmmm... so were they deilquescing (turning to black inky goo) as they aged??

If so, then try typing Coprinellus or Coprinopsis into google image search, and see if anything looks similar.

--------------------

InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

Loc: north eastern kansas
Trusted Identifier
Re: No good pictures left.... But I need some help identifying them... [Re: matits]
    #8381342 - 05/09/08 01:01 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

The might very well have been C. comatas, I did see one in Franklin County Kansas yesterday however the process of deliquescing had nearly finished melting the cap... so they should be out and about in your area as well.

Often the flaky texture on the cap will wash off leaving a nearly smooth surface, particularly toward the top of the cap, based on my observation of the species, there will remain some texture on lower portions of the cap even after a rain.

You didn't mention the size, shaggy manes are usually fairly large compared to other inky cap species. Last year there was a Coprinus comatus stem in my front yard that measured 14 inches believe it or not! I think the stems might continue to elongate after the caps melt off, really wish I could have seen that mushroom intact.

If you aren't 100% sure it's probably best to avoid eating them, however you should use the experience to assist in developing your identification skills. Once you get the hang of it C. comatus is unmistakable. The main thing you need to do is familiarize yourself with the deadly umbrella shaped mushrooms.

Though it isn't terribly poisonous Coprinopsis variegata (Coprinus quadrifidus) can look very similar to comatus.

Edited by georgeM (05/09/08 01:04 PM)

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: No good pictures left.... But I need some help identifying them... [Re: georgeM]
    #8381405 - 05/09/08 01:23 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Interesting, I've never seen a smooth C. comatus

Sound advice. :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: No good pictures left.... But I need some help identifying them... [Re: CureCat]
    #8381421 - 05/09/08 01:26 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: No good pictures left.... But I need some help identifying them... [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8381430 - 05/09/08 01:28 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

He didn't really describe the substrate.... Hmm, matits, what were they growing out of?

--------------------

Invisiblematits
Percocet Pirate
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: No good pictures left.... But I need some help identifying them... [Re: CureCat]
    #8383089 - 05/09/08 10:15 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

CureCat said:
Hmmm... so were they deilquescing (turning to black inky goo) as they aged??

If so, then try typing Coprinellus or Coprinopsis into google image search, and see if anything looks similar.

Yes sir. They did. They turned black pretty quickly. Like a few hours. Today I looked at the again in the cardboard box and they had "melted" into this black tar looking stuff, but was soft. Almost like a block of black ink.

--------------------
---        ---
    Matits
---        ---
--------------------

Anything Matits says or insinuates is a lie and is totally constructed of lies. It is a fairy tale and should be taken at face value. Matits makes things up that are untrue. Any picture or statements made by Matits are made up or fabricated... like Trump's wig.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8383107 - 05/09/08 10:21 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, okay so either Coprinus, Coprinopsis, or Coprinellus. You'll have to do some searching and comparing if you want to know which genus or specific species, since we don't have any photos.

--------------------

Invisiblematits
Percocet Pirate
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8383151 - 05/09/08 10:33 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Ok. They were fruiting in a clearing strait from the ground. I didn't see any sold twigs or anything that it was attached to or anything. My buddy picked the 2 bigger ones. Then we saw the same thing in the other spot.

They were under trees of elm and oak. There was grass and weeds all around it, but the grass wasn't even 4 inches tall. It was weird. Almost like it was mowed. But nothing has been back there in years. just how it grew.

They were about 5 inches tall from the base to the top. They do resemble the shaggy mane but I didn't think they had any ruffles on it though. WE did have crazy ass rains and my aunt had a tornado go through the woods. Actually, about 15 - 20 ft away from where we found those is where the twister hit and it just strait twisted the trees about 3 feet above the ground and you can see where it twisted and laid over. So I guess they could have easily came off since it was just a few days before,

--------------------
---        ---
    Matits
---        ---
--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification