Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShroomial
Stranger

Quick questions for a casing.
    #8372522 - 05/07/08 10:17 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Ok well in a few days im going to be doing my first casing.
And I wanted to ask a few questions.

Ok so the proper moisture would be when you squeeze it an you get like a couple of drops correct?

And through the colinizing stage should I mist it any.(Ino its good to mist it while its in the fruiting chamber just incase it gets a little dry.)

Also when im going to check on the colinization im afraid when i take the foil off some type of contam will get on it. Should I worry or is there something I should do?

Also I was just going to take my casing substrate an put it in the microwave 5 min take it out mix it an 5 mins again.

And I was wondering if I should put a top on it or somthing while its in the microwave or just leave the plastic container topless while its in the microwave heating up?

And do you think it will get dry after 10 mins in the microwave?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShroomial
Stranger

Re: Quick questions for a casing. [Re: Shroomial]
    #8376908 - 05/08/08 10:08 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

Loc: In your Mind, Pedro! In y...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Quick questions for a casing. [Re: Shroomial]
    #8376924 - 05/08/08 10:16 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

The moisture content of the casing material is mostly a matter of feeling.

I never used to squeeze it to check it, but just waited 'till it felt right.

It shouldn't be too wet and it shouldn't be too dry.
Just like juicy flower soil, but with verm to make it more "fluffy".

Neither casing material nor substrates are supposed to be sterilized.
They're supposed to be pasteurized, which is done by heating it up to a 140 to 170 degrees for one and a half hour in a large pod.

This is done, because pasteurization kills plenty of molds spores etc. but keeps microorganisms alive, that benefit the mycelial growth and decrease the chances of contams.

As long as you can maintain a high rate of FAE, you actually don't need to pasteurize in the first place.

Offlinezero cool
I'm a bag kindaguy
Male

Re: Quick questions for a casing. [Re: Fahkface]
    #8377090 - 05/08/08 11:18 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

have you read Hyphae's Pinning Strategy? that is what got me started on casings.

i always use mgmc, i just use it straight out of the bag with out pasturizing it. you can def. put it in the microwave too tho. just mix a little water with it to form a thick paste and hit it for like 5 mins or whatever gets it really fucking hot. and you should def cover it with plastic wrap or a paper towel while in the microwave! that could get messy.

the pinning strategy really explains the amount of water that should be used during misting. mist it until you see the point at which the soil begins to glisten. dont let it get too dry or the mycelium will have a hard time taking over your casing layer.

you could use lysol b4 messing with your casings. just spray it in the room that you are going to be working in and, with all windows and doors shut, let it settle for 15 mins. i have had casings that contam so it is possible. you should generally be fine tho. i usually dont even use the lysol tho :crazy:

--------------------
git them mushrooms Mario! git em!

OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Quick questions for a casing. [Re: zero cool]
    #8377178 - 05/08/08 11:46 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

you can def. put it in the microwave too tho. just mix a little water with it to form a thick paste and hit it for like 5 mins or whatever gets it really fucking hot. and you should def cover it with plastic wrap or a paper towel while in the microwave! that could get messy.

BAD advise, my friend!

Microwaved layers and substrates contaminate way more often, then even unhandled ones.

Offlinezero cool
I'm a bag kindaguy
Male

Re: Quick questions for a casing. [Re: Fahkface]
    #8377366 - 05/08/08 12:31 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

im not sayin i would use the microwave. i use my mgmc right outta the bag, but some ppl have reasons of why they cant use the stove or oven to pasturize. so they have to use a microwave. there are lots of teks out there for doing so and it works. i am aware of RR statement about microwaves, but that certainly doesn't mean that they cannot by any means be used. there are always exceptions, my friend! if you are going to use the microwave you want to put it on a lower setting. super high temps(over 180 or so) will start to kill the good bacteria that is needed to sustain a healthy substrate.

--------------------
git them mushrooms Mario! git em!

OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Quick questions for a casing. [Re: zero cool]
    #8377737 - 05/08/08 01:54 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Sure there are exceptions.
Everything said or advised in these forums doesn't allow exceptions. It's just that the things that ain't advised normally don't work very well.
So if you try to achieve results, it would be a lot smarter to listen to what you're supposed to do, to get what you're looking for.
Experiments are a great way to gather experience yourself, though this isn't what most want.

You're statement:

Quote:

just mix a little water with it to form a thick paste and hit it for like 5 mins or whatever gets it really fucking hot. and you should def cover it with plastic wrap or a paper towel while in the microwave! that could get messy.

Everything over 170 will kill the beneficial organisms in the substrate/material.
I don't know what "really fucking hot" means, but 170 definitely isn't "really fucking hot".
In addition, covering things in the microwave is only necessary, when things start to boil, or at least are heated to a degree, where the microwaved substance expands dramatically.
Neither the one thing, nor the other would be achieved, when heating up to 170 degrees.

There are two major problems when using microwaves.
The first is, that the heat can't be really measured with normal supplies. So you don't know, how much you heat.
The second thing is, that the material in the MW isn't heated evenly, which increases the chance, that one part is overheated, while the other isn't heated at all, dramatically.

You'd be better on, with not treating the substrate/layer at all, but provide plenty of FAE.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract