Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Gypsum, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Loc: Florida
Wheat Berries - Your Experiences?
    #837287 - 08/23/02 04:11 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

A friend has been using birdseed for a while, but recently started experimenting with rye and wheat grains. She hasn't had much success with rye yet - a few jars moving very slowly so far - she thinks her water content is off. Her first wheat berry jar nearly got tossed, because it wouldn't shake at ALL - not even fresh from the pc. It was like a big grain blob. She used 250ml soft pastry wheat grain & 220ml tap water (appx), put straight in the jar and pc'd. She had extra spawn & syringes, so she shot it up just for kicks. About 10 days later, she has about 75% colonization and it is the most beautiful, rhizo, WHITE mycellium she has ever seen - it's downright blinding!!! She did a couple more wheat test jars last night, one mixed with pasteurized straw juice she had saved a couple weeks ago, and one with distilled water. The one with distilled water looks slightly worse than the original jar, with a few busted kernels and slightly gooier look than before. The straw juice jar looks very nice, no apparent busted kernels. Again, neither jar was the least bit shakeable. The 2 jars were pc'd at the same time - not sure why they look noticeably different - would the TYPE of liquid make a difference in the number of busted kernels? As long as she achieves full colonization, should she be concerned with the appearance/consistency of the grain for any reason? Anyone have some experience with this particular type of grain, or any input that may help her? She really loves the way the mycellium looks in the wheat jar, and would love to work with this substrate regularly, if it does well spawned into straw. Thanks for any help/suggestions.

I don't really know anyone who grows mushrooms. I just come here for fun.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Dementia praecox
 User Gallery

Loc: Nowhere
Re: Wheat Berries - Your Experiences? [Re: babyshroom]
    #837297 - 08/23/02 04:28 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

My buddy just boils the grain for one hour on the stove in a big pot, then dump into a big collander/strainer and let it sit for about 30 min. to strain, then fill jars 3/4 up with this then PC.
This works well with both rye and wheat IME.

I've always had problems trying to do it all in the jar like you did.

Yet some people swear by it.:p

Good Luck

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson

It's always tea-time, and we've no time to wash the things between whiles.

Don't be a fool, this is a war on drugs. Act like. The government sure does!

Edited by MrMaddHatter (08/23/02 04:31 AM)

#837302 - 08/23/02 04:35 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I've used wheat berries with great success. However, I was using the hard wheat berries as opposed to the soft. Switching to the hard berries may help a little bit with your consistency. Although, as long as you're getting colonization you have no need to worry. I had problems getting the water ratio right as well. I finally started to preboil the grain and then pressure cook. If the grain was drained too much before loading the jars then some grain would dry out while pressure cooking. Shaking the grain after taking the jars out of the cooker helped to distribute those dry grains so that they didn't matter so much. If you can shake the grain while colonizing then it will speed up colonization, so I would try and end up with a shakeable substrate. A little over a week is not uncommon for full colonization after shaking a time or two. I hope that helps.. Good luck!

Loc: Florida
Re: Wheat Berries - Your Experiences? [Re: NeonBlack]
    #837372 - 08/23/02 05:47 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

She was hesitant to use the "mix in the jar" method, also - seeing others having success spurred her on. She does pre-simmer her birdseed, to remove the coating. But these wheat berries don't look like they'd hold up to much simmering without exploding. How about just soaking? She has some rye she's pre-soaking based on others' suggestions - 24 hours in 1:1 ratio with distilled water. This will be her first experience with soaking - she plans to pc that grain tonight. A previous attempt was left longer than 24 hours and sprouted little white things everywhere.
With her seed, she heats water to boiling, pours in seed, reduces to simmer for 30 minutes, then drains and load into jars. That has worked consistently for her, but she wants to move to a more nutritious spawn medium. Do you think this method would work with wheat grain? Do you think the grain lump she's currently getting is caused by too much water, too little, or a missing ingredient?
To anyone who hasn't used wheat, you should really see this jar - I'll ask her for a pic over the weekend. It looks like something I'd expect to see in a post from Workman or Anno...a sight to behold.

I don't really know anyone who grows mushrooms. I just come here for fun.

#837500 - 08/23/02 07:21 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

a little gypsum will aid in shakeable jars.

This is for the sole purpose of information only. Not intended for use in the actual manufacture of known drugs.

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #837513 - 08/23/02 07:30 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Wheat or Rye Berries. Simply soak overnight (or as much as 18 hours), rinse WELL & drain WELL (let them drain for 30 + minutes in a collander of strainer). Load jars 3/4 full, apply a lid w/2 holes & filter disk & add a double layer of coffee filter externaly to jar w/rubber band (stops contam crap from settling on lid) & PC @ 15 pounds for a little longer than the average recommend.

(hint -- if the loaded jars still look a little to wet -- nuke thenm a few minutes to steam out excess miosture -- then PC)

Remove jars from PC while still hot ( external coffee filters will dry out almost instantly) & shake jars like a sick puppy to break up any clumps (if any) inside jar. If you innoc with spore syringe? Simply remove coffeee filters & innoc through one lid hole, tape over that hole (swab tape & lid with alchol -- first) & reapply coffee filters.

If using G to G or S to S transfers? Remove lid, filter disk & coffee filters at the same time, spoon in whatever & reapply lid & filters & shake jar well. Your good to go.

The Raccoon prefers BS over wheat or rye berries for bulk substrate spawning. They give more innoc points & BS is cheap. Sometimes the Raccoon adds nutrients (dung/straw liquid from pasturization process) a little sterilized (nuked) diatomite to a soak. It adhears to the grain or seed & provides even more innoc points -- as myc will colonize it, as diatomite absorbs water & nutrients from the soak.

A little diatomite in casings also helps tons. You can find it at tropical fish stores and/or swimming pool supply places -- because it is used as a water filtration material.

~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

#20018722 - 05/21/14 07:29 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

I want consensual Tiger sex w/u

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Wheat Berries - Your Experiences? [Re: steelreserve]
    #20018828 - 05/21/14 08:31 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

This thread is 11 years old bud. I'm sure they appreciate your thanks though.

Your jars will be good for a while after you've pressure cooked them.

The Shmuvbox. All the Benefits of a flowhood for 1/10th the price

Afraid to Start Growing From Your Own Prints? Drop it Like a Tiger!
No Pouring. No Syringes. No Cutting. No flaming. No Contamination. No Bullshit.

"The best thing to do while your waiting is to start more stuff. I usually got so much happening that I have tossed projects simply because I didn't have time for them. -Pastywhite QFT

Pastywhite's Easy Agar Tek (PastyPlates)

Tiger Drop Video Demos By munchauzen

Van Gogh would’ve sold more than one painting if he’d put tigers in them.―Bill Watterson

User Gallery

Re: Wheat Berries - Your Experiences? [Re: elasticaltiger]
    #20019276 - 05/21/14 11:37 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

This info is heavily outdated... Roger Rabbit's rye prep is best for rye or wheat berries... Just make sure not to over boil... Here's the link to his vids www.mushroomvideoes.com Soooooo worth the 10 bucks.
here's a good lid making tek http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/14722818#14722818 just make sure to use no bigger than 1/4" holes... Also any 100% silicone will work. EDIT: (sorry ET forgot about you) ALSO i just saw elasticaltiger's lid tek ^^^: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19093900 and this http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18772632#18772632 ; Then check out this info

a lot of good stuff there.. Frank's wbs tek is very similar to rye prep except rye should be simmered slightly longer. i really recommend watching the rye prep video too

Edited by tombosley8 (05/21/14 11:50 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Gypsum, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation