Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinephi1618
old hand

Economists Criticize Clinton, McCain Gas-Tax Plans
    #8368024 - 05/06/08 07:41 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aTzCmqCNyLho&refer=home
Quote:

By Brian Faler

May 5 (Bloomberg) -- More than 200 economists, including four Nobel prize winners, signed a letter rejecting proposals by presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and John McCain to offer a summertime gas-tax holiday.

Columbia University economist Joseph Stiglitz, former Congressional Budget Office Director Alice Rivlin and 2007 Nobel winner Roger Myerson are among those who signed the letter calling proposals to temporarily lift the tax a bad idea. Another is Richard Schmalensee of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, who was member of President George H.W. Bush's Council of Economic Advisers.

The moratorium would mostly benefit oil companies while increasing the federal budget deficit and reducing funding for the government highway maintenance trust fund, the economists said.

``Suspending the federal tax on gasoline this summer is a bad idea, and we oppose it,'' the letter says. Economist Henry Aaron of the Brookings Institution is among those circulating the letter. Aaron said that while he supports Obama, the list includes Republicans and Clinton supporters.

The gas-tax suspension has become a flashpoint in the race for the Democrat presidential nomination between New York Senator Clinton and Illinois Senator Barack Obama. Clinton and Republican McCain tout the proposal as an example of their concern for struggling middle-class families. Obama, who estimated it would save the average driver less than $30, calls the idea a ``gimmick,'' rejecting it on similar grounds as the economists.

Dismiss the Objections

McCain and Clinton dismissed the objections.

``I find people who are the wealthiest who are most dismissive of a plan to give low-income Americans a little holiday'' so they have ``a little more to give to their children and enjoy the summer a little more,'' McCain said today. ``Thirty dollars means nothing to a lot of economists -- I understand that. It means a lot to some low-income Americans.''

Clinton said yesterday on ABC's This Week with George Stephanopoulos that ``I'm not going to put my lot in with economists'' because ``we would design it in such a way that it would be implemented effectively.''

The proposal has been rebuffed by House Democratic leaders including Speaker Nancy Pelosi of California and Financial Services Chairman Barney Frank of Massachusetts.

The environmental group Friends of the Earth endorsed Obama over the weekend and called Clinton and McCain's moratorium proposals ``sham solutions that won't ease the pain at the pump.''

Rivlin, who headed the CBO before running the White House budget office during the Clinton administration, was among the Clinton backers signing the letter.

``I don't have to agree with everything she says, and I think she was wrong on this one,'' Rivlin said in an interview today. ``If anything, we need higher gas taxes.''

The most interesting aspect of this story is that Obama has the balls to reject a stupid, pandering idea for what it is.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinephi1618
old hand

Re: Economists Criticize Clinton, McCain Gas-Tax Plans [Re: phi1618]
    #8368029 - 05/06/08 07:45 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

On the other hand, Obama's been a big supporter of the stupidity of ethanol:
http://factcheck.barackobama.com/factcheck/2008/01/08/fact_check_obamas_strong_recor.php
Quote:

Obama Helped Lead Efforts To Pass Amendments That Improved The Bill's Renewable Energy Provisions And Was Singled Out For His Work As A Negotiator On The Energy Bill's Ethanol Provisions. In 2005, Obama passed amendments to the 2005 Energy Policy Act which would double the amount of ethanol used in our gasoline supply by 2012 (from 2 billion to 8 billion gallons); provide a tax credit for the retail purchase of E-85 fuel; and established an applied research program to improve technologies for the commercialization of a combination hybrid/flexible fuel vehicle; or a plug-in hybrid/flexible fuel vehicle. The Chicago Sun-Times reported, "Hastert, meeting with reporters on Friday, praised the "incredible teamwork" of the delegation, singling out freshman Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) for his work on the House-Senate committee, which cut the final deals on the transit bill and ethanol tax breaks. The energy bill included an incentive for the use of what is called E-85, a blend of 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent gas that can be used in "flexible fueled" cars and is supposed to be cheaper than conventional fuel. The bill calls for gas companies to get a tax credit to cover 30 percent of the cost to install E-85 pumps at service stations, up to $30,000." [Chicago Sun-Times, 7/30/05; AP, 7/27/05; H.R. 6, Became Public Law No: 109-58; S. 918, 109th Congress; SA 670 agreed to, 5/12/05; H.R. 6, Became Public Law No: 109-58; S. 918, Referred to the Committee On Environment and Public Works; SA 851 to HR 6, Passed by Unanimous Consent, 6/23/05; H.R. 6, Became Public Law No: 109-58; S. 650, 109th Congress; HR 6, Vote 139, 6/15/06, Passed 70-26, D:32-12, R:38-14, I:0-0]

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #8368050 - 05/06/08 08:11 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Hillary: "We will pay for it by imposing a windfall profits tax on the big oil companies."

Thus the price of gas will increase to cover the windfall profit tax. Brilliant.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
Re: Economists Criticize Clinton, McCain Gas-Tax Plans [Re: Seuss]
    #8368125 - 05/06/08 08:53 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

stupid politics. Always making horrible choices at the top level to slightly increase their image in the minds of the bottom.

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #8368426 - 05/06/08 11:07 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

phi1618 said:

The most interesting aspect of this story is that Obama has the balls to reject a stupid, pandering idea for what it is.

I LOVE TAX CUTS! ( I'm sure Obama hates them.)

Its such a good idea we should make the tax cut PERMANENT!:grin:

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: Economists Criticize Clinton, McCain Gas-Tax Plans [Re: lonestar2004]
    #8368857 - 05/06/08 01:34 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

lonestar2004 said:
Quote:

phi1618 said:

I LOVE TAX CUTS! ( I'm sure Obama hates them.)

Its such a good idea we should make the tax cut PERMANENT!:grin:

So the top economists don't know what they are talking about? You got a PhD in economics or something?

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Economists Criticize Clinton, McCain Gas-Tax Plans [Re: downforpot]
    #8369170 - 05/06/08 02:47 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

downforpot said:

So the top economists don't know what they are talking about? You got a PhD in economics or something?

No, i just feel cutting any tax, any time is a good idea!:thumbup:

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Economists Criticize Clinton, McCain Gas-Tax Plans [Re: lonestar2004]
    #8369251 - 05/06/08 03:05 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

lonestar2004 said:
Quote:

downforpot said:

:thumbup:  "Top economists", as a group, tend to be about as unified as a herd of cats.  Douchebag journalists with an agenda can always find an economist to support any idea they wish.  Marx was a "top economist".  How'd that work out?

--------------------

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: Economists Criticize Clinton, McCain Gas-Tax Plans [Re: zappaisgod]
    #8369953 - 05/06/08 06:07 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

lonestar2004 said:
Quote:

downforpot said:

:thumbup:  "Top economists", as a group, tend to be about as unified as a herd of cats.  Douchebag journalists with an agenda can always find an economist to support any idea they wish.  Marx was a "top economist".  How'd that work out?

And there are scientists that don't support evolution... a few of them. They don't matter. Fact still remains that the top economists think it's a bad idea.

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

Jump to top Pages: 1