Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: Satanists and Satan worshipers (PSA for people who dont know muh on it) [Re: Viveka]
    #8361250 - 05/04/08 03:00 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Viveka said:
Subverts Christianity? It seems to me that it feeds energy into the surface drama of Christianity, which is the level most religious people operate at, thusly increasing the influence of Christianity overall.

Just more bullshit, self-limiting dogma.

I didn't say that it succeeds at subverting Christianity, but rather that is has the potential to do so, more for the individual exploring the myths in an alternative way than for the culture as a whole.

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Satanists and Satan worshipers (PSA for people who dont know muh on it) [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #8362513 - 05/04/08 09:24 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

This is the fallacy inherent in hedonism—in any variant of ethical hedonism, personal or social, individual or collective. “Happiness” can properly be the purpose of ethics, but not the standard. The task of ethics is to define man’s proper code of values and thus to give him the means of achieving happiness. To declare, as the ethical hedonists do, that “the proper value is whatever gives you pleasure” is to declare that “the proper value is whatever you happen to value”—which is an act of intellectual and philosophical abdication, an act which merely proclaims the futility of ethics and invites all men to play it deuces wild.

-Ayn Rand

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Satanists and Satan worshipers (PSA for people who dont know muh on it) [Re: Redstorm]
    #8363178 - 05/04/08 11:58 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Poor sad, frustrated, unhappy Ann Rand. She had a hard lot. Of course hedonism is only workable for the skillful. Those that know what really increases joy. Few and far between unfortunately, but that does not negate a workable concept.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Edited by Icelander (05/05/08 12:00 AM)

OfflineBoots
Disenchanted
Male

Loc: Northwood, Ohio, U.S.A.
Re: Satanists and Satan worshipers (PSA for people who dont know muh on it) [Re: backfromthedead]
    #8364137 - 05/05/08 08:56 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Warning: these are generalized statements.

I think LaVeyan Satanism is a very interesting concept. Definitely so when you consider its ties with nihilism. he only problem I see is that Satanism seems to have a much more negative light as opposed to nihilism. While a nihilist doesn't care about God, a Satanist thinks it's something specifically to rebel against. On the other hand, Theistic Satanists (Luciferians) are no better than any other religion that believes in a mystical being.

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Satanists and Satan worshipers (PSA for people who dont know muh on it) [Re: Redstorm]
    #8364618 - 05/05/08 01:08 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
Quote:

This is the fallacy inherent in hedonism—in any variant of ethical hedonism, personal or social, individual or collective. “Happiness” can properly be the purpose of ethics, but not the standard. The task of ethics is to define man’s proper code of values and thus to give him the means of achieving happiness. To declare, as the ethical hedonists do, that “the proper value is whatever gives you pleasure” is to declare that “the proper value is whatever you happen to value”—which is an act of intellectual and philosophical abdication, an act which merely proclaims the futility of ethics and invites all men to play it deuces wild.

-Ayn Rand

What's wrong with playing it deuces wild?

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Offlinebackfromthedead
Activated

Re: Satanists and Satan worshipers (PSA for people who dont know muh on it) [Re: deCypher]
    #8365773 - 05/05/08 07:05 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

'On the other hand, Theistic Satanists (Luciferians) are no better than any other religion that believes in a mystical being.'

Not half bad.  :uptosomething:

'What's wrong with playing it deuces wild?'

Seriously, there are systems in place that will force you to keep your poker face.

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Satanists and Satan worshipers (PSA for people who dont know muh on it) [Re: Boots]
    #8365973 - 05/05/08 08:13 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Boots said:
Warning: these are generalized statements.

I think LaVeyan Satanism is a very interesting concept. Definitely so when you consider its ties with nihilism. he only problem I see is that Satanism seems to have a much more negative light as opposed to nihilism. While a nihilist doesn't care about God, a Satanist thinks it's something specifically to rebel against. On the other hand, Theistic Satanists (Luciferians) are no better than any other religion that believes in a mystical being.

:thumbup:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]