Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineKarmatron
Kundalini Kid
 User Gallery

Loc: Planet Zuyua
<Vent: Fuck Academia>
    #8364587 - 05/05/08 10:57 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

So after working for a week incommunicado with my boss at my summer job (research for a prof.), he shows up this morning to inform me that he will be at CERN all summer and have no time to come back here and work with me. Therefore I am fired.

Dear "Professor": Thanks a lot buddy, you had a verbal contract with myself and my "Co-Operative Education" program adviser which you have decided to back out on causing me to be totally fucked in the ass for summer work because the four-month positions will have already been filled. Not to mention the fact that I needed this work term to finish my degree in a timely manner.

Part of this is my fault; I guess I shouldn't have ignored the warnings of the other students in the department, who all told me that this particular professor's grad students have quit on him within 6 months. And I shouldn't have ignored the warning signs when I worked for him all last semester and he was consistently sketchy with both his knowledge of the project I was working on and the way he kept pushing me to work more hours than I was hired for. And finally, I should have realized he was a fraud when he couldn't do basic calculations when he was teaching me particle physics, which I got 100% on the final exam for. Essentially, my problem was having faith in human beings in general.

</Vent>

I am considering legal recourse at this point. Anybody know anything about that? I picked the wrong week to quit smoking.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: <Vent: Fuck Academia> [Re: Karmatron]
    #8364720 - 05/05/08 11:36 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

As someone who's dealt with my share of doing hellish undergraduate research work for high and mighty scientists, I can only say good luck.

In your professors defense, would you really turn down a chance to go do work at CERN to stay home and help some kid with his research credits?

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale