Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblevitadura
Dream Seeker

Loc: Here, Now Flag
Moral Dilemma (with pet)
    #8364509 - 05/05/08 10:22 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

As I grow older, I find that my morals are developing stronger and consequently, when an issue arises, it effects my sleep. Like every other human being, I definitely need my sleep. Which is why I turn to you all for advice.

About a year ago, Andrea, my close friend from high school had me take Viktor, her pet bearded dragon (to whom I had grown incredibly attached). She was going to school and would not be able to take Viktor with her, so I gladly took on the responsibility. Her house is not the best place for pets (there are at least three chainsmokers living there, and lots of people visit them simply because they know they can smoke in the house; there are always tons of party-people in the house; there is dog and cat hair and dust all over the house; etc.) and at one point during our senior year, Viktor got depressed. Andrea denies it still to this day, she believes that lizards can't get depressed, that they don't have feelings. Now, she could be right, but I think it is more accurate that she is the apathetic, emotionless one. So when I noticed Viktor had stopped eating and moving around, I made it a habit to visit the house once or twice daily just to get Viktor out of his cage for a little while. I told her and everyone else in the house to stop feeding him and giving him water (not that they did it very often, anyway, but if Andrea's dad would give him worms one day, it would end up being the same day Andrea would, and then he would get sick from overeating since they both overfed him). I took care of him, and with the changing of the season and daily attention, Viktor started to move around a little more and eat regularly and became more alert, and just looked all-around healthier. I had been attached to Viktor before this point, but when he got sick and I "nursed" him back to health, I really felt that we had made a special bond (yea, corny or whatever, go ahead and make fun of me).

So he's been doing really well here at my house. He gets fed the same amount everyday and he sleeps a regular amount of hours and has a timer so his light is on for the same amount of hourse every day, he's got a clean cage (his cage was probably changed twice in the three years Andrea owned him), he gets to run around my room just about everyday, and he just seems a lot happier than I ever remember seeing him. However, the roles have switched. Now that I have taken time off from school and am ready to go back, Andrea is home again (she got kicked out of school). Originally, I had planned on having my brother take Viktor, because I know he will take care of him (although he lives in a party house, he is a lot more responsible and in touch than Andrea). However, Andrea and her boyfriend recently broke up and suddenly after 9 months or a year, she is trying to befriend all her old friends she basically ditched before. She always blows people off and doesn't seem to care about much more than pot, sex, and booze. I saw her recently and she told me she wants Viktor back and she asked me not to give him to my brother (she dated my brother for a little while and I think she is just jealous and lonely - although she'd never admit that). I am afraid for Viktor's well-being with Andrea, but in the same respect, he belonged to her for the first three years of his life (and he's still alive!), and he is rightfully her lizard. I've said, "You have to take care good of him," but I don't think that's enough to get through to her. I don't think she understands Viktor can get sick and he actually needs love and attention, and that he is a living, breathing creature (she doesn't even realize that her friends and family need love, encouragement, and loyalty).

So if you were in my position and you absolutely could not take him with you to school, what would you do? And if you decided not to let her have him back, how would you break the news to her? (She left me a voicemail saying she's been calling me for weeks trying to get him [even though I have no missed calls from her], and she has been known to randomly show up at my house uninvited.)

--------------------
"You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here." -Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAtheist
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Moral Dilemma (with pet) [Re: vitadura]
    #8364528 - 05/05/08 10:32 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Wow that is a kind of sad. You really need to sit down with your friend and be like: "OK, the lizard needs to be taken care of. He needs *this* *this* and *that* and if he doesnt get those things he can get sick and possibly die."

OfflineGastronomicus
3-0-G
Male User Gallery

#8364534 - 05/05/08 10:34 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds like she already blew her shot man, if she's just gotten kicked out of school then it's unlikely she's changed her ways too much. Sounds like you really care for Viktor and you gotta do what you think is right for him, even if that means keeping him from his original owner.

--------------------
Make my Funk the P Funk, I wants to get Funked up

LAGM2024

Invisiblenalyudi
he runs about
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Oak Savanna Region
Re: Moral Dilemma (with pet) [Re: Gastronomicus]
    #8364547 - 05/05/08 10:38 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

sticky situation. i thought most school allowed animals that could fit in an aquarium. maybe its a large lizard idk i guess. if your leaving for school check the policies of dorms or whatever youre moving into and tell the chick you have become too attached and cant bare to let vic go

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: Moral Dilemma (with pet) [Re: nalyudi]
    #8364590 - 05/05/08 10:58 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Moral Dilemma (with pet) [Re: Brainiac]
    #8364611 - 05/05/08 11:06 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

No way would I give him back to her. :discorex:

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

OfflineDragonChaser
Ice in Her Ass and Pussy
Male User Gallery

#8365220 - 05/05/08 02:26 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

There is no way in hell I'd give him back to her. If I couldn't bring him with me, I'd find the most responsible person I could think of to take care of him, and hide him in secret there. Tell her he choked on a grape and died, or he escaped when he learned that he was going to have to live with her again.

--------------------
My name is Mud

OfflinePupenhause
Toughguy
Male User Gallery

Loc: over here
Re: Moral Dilemma (with pet) [Re: DragonChaser]
    #8365237 - 05/05/08 02:30 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

DragonChaser said:
There is no way in hell I'd give him back to her. If I couldn't bring him with me, I'd find the most responsible person I could think of to take care of him, and hide him in secret there. Tell her he choked on a grape and died, or he escaped when he learned that he was going to have to live with her again.

im going with this guys idea. and i think you should too.

Offlinemisterdogman
Educationalresearcher ofthe Shroom
Male

Loc: International Waters in a...
    #8365324 - 05/05/08 02:57 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

vitadura said:
As I grow older, I find that my morals are developing stronger and consequently, when an issue arises, it effects my sleep. Like every other human being, I definitely need my sleep. Which is why I turn to you all for advice.

About a year ago, Andrea, my close friend from high school had me take Viktor, her pet bearded dragon (to whom I had grown incredibly attached). She was going to school and would not be able to take Viktor with her, so I gladly took on the responsibility. Her house is not the best place for pets (there are at least three chainsmokers living there, and lots of people visit them simply because they know they can smoke in the house; there are always tons of party-people in the house; there is dog and cat hair and dust all over the house; etc.) and at one point during our senior year, Viktor got depressed. Andrea denies it still to this day, she believes that lizards can't get depressed, that they don't have feelings. Now, she could be right, but I think it is more accurate that she is the apathetic, emotionless one. So when I noticed Viktor had stopped eating and moving around, I made it a habit to visit the house once or twice daily just to get Viktor out of his cage for a little while. I told her and everyone else in the house to stop feeding him and giving him water (not that they did it very often, anyway, but if Andrea's dad would give him worms one day, it would end up being the same day Andrea would, and then he would get sick from overeating since they both overfed him). I took care of him, and with the changing of the season and daily attention, Viktor started to move around a little more and eat regularly and became more alert, and just looked all-around healthier. I had been attached to Viktor before this point, but when he got sick and I "nursed" him back to health, I really felt that we had made a special bond (yea, corny or whatever, go ahead and make fun of me).

So he's been doing really well here at my house. He gets fed the same amount everyday and he sleeps a regular amount of hours and has a timer so his light is on for the same amount of hourse every day, he's got a clean cage (his cage was probably changed twice in the three years Andrea owned him), he gets to run around my room just about everyday, and he just seems a lot happier than I ever remember seeing him. However, the roles have switched. Now that I have taken time off from school and am ready to go back, Andrea is home again (she got kicked out of school). Originally, I had planned on having my brother take Viktor, because I know he will take care of him (although he lives in a party house, he is a lot more responsible and in touch than Andrea). However, Andrea and her boyfriend recently broke up and suddenly after 9 months or a year, she is trying to befriend all her old friends she basically ditched before. She always blows people off and doesn't seem to care about much more than pot, sex, and booze. I saw her recently and she told me she wants Viktor back and she asked me not to give him to my brother (she dated my brother for a little while and I think she is just jealous and lonely - although she'd never admit that). I am afraid for Viktor's well-being with Andrea, but in the same respect, he belonged to her for the first three years of his life (and he's still alive!), and he is rightfully her lizard. I've said, "You have to take care good of him," but I don't think that's enough to get through to her. I don't think she understands Viktor can get sick and he actually needs love and attention, and that he is a living, breathing creature (she doesn't even realize that her friends and family need love, encouragement, and loyalty).

So if you were in my position and you absolutely could not take him with you to school, what would you do? And if you decided not to let her have him back, how would you break the news to her? (She left me a voicemail saying she's been calling me for weeks trying to get him [even though I have no missed calls from her], and she has been known to randomly show up at my house uninvited.)

Dont feel corny for loving a animal. No matter how sentient the animal is a human is capable of loving even a animal that has no capacity to love back. Its one of our virtues. I cried when my Managuense died. It was a mean ass fish that would jump out of the tank to bite you but I had him since he was dime sized and after 6 -7 years I left town for a typical weekend jaunt and while gone we had bad T-Storms back home and my power went out. When I got back the fiter was grinding and he was floating. I broke apart because theyre suppose to live for 50 years and I had plans of watching everyone go by. He was 17 inches when he died.

I would personally not give him back and I would tell her why. The animal deserves someone like you. BUT after all it was her lizard so heres a option, take your timer and a printed out feeding regimen and call her everytime your schedule dictates a cage cleaning etc. Pretend your just calling her to tell her to take care of your lizard in your absence. Once the timer etc in plugged in his schedule wont change and if you totally "stress" the feeding regimen with her hell get fed properly.

Tell her they can get sick if over fed and being a reptile he doesnt even really have to eat everyday. Once you ride the issues for a month or so it will hopefully become a habit and she will begin doing those things on her own out of her own valition.

Other than that you can just write it off and give it back and forget, or give it to your bro anyway and make up a lie about it, or actually tell her no because she sucks at caring for him. Those are your only real options and all 3 of them would really be hard since lying and being too blunt can be very stressing...

Hope it all works though, For Viktor mainly but also for your emotions and concerns for the little guy...it sucks how much animals and kids can get a grip on us but love is funny like that, it can exist for any reason.

--------------------
While driving my overpowered car around tight corners like a maniac all my friends yell out. Hey man slow down, we might Wreck. I reply, Shut up, I drive like Dale Earnhardt. They all look around at each other and laugh. Then one asks me. Hey wait, isnt he dead? Well yeah he is I said. Then I drive like Junior I mumble, while I promptly slow down.
"Everyday is opposite day. Everything I say is opposite of what you think I am saying. So if I say something and you think I mean one thing it is the opposite of what I am really trying to say. I actually mean another thing other than what you are thinking I am saying. Get it? Good because that's what I meant".
"You may defeat me, you may even destroy me, But you will never CONQUER me"!

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #8366136 - 05/05/08 07:11 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Hey girl,

My opinion is that Andrea has typically not been the best friend for you (from what I heard), and Viktor has been your baby for a long time now.  You've nurtured and loved that lizard; I've seen it with my own eyes, and I see such affection in your eyes when you speak of him. 

In my opinion, you should tell Andrea that you've bonded with the lizard and that you worry for his safety in her hands.  Just be completely honest.  I don't know; it's tricky, but in the end, Viktor has been there for you, and she hasn't.  :shrug:  He deserves a loving home where his needs will be considered. 

Good luck...let me know how it turns out.  :heart:

Offlinefrisky_
don't panic.

Re: Moral Dilemma (with pet) [Re: MOTH]
    #8366306 - 05/05/08 07:56 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Don't give Viktor back to her. Find someone who will take care of him.

--------------------
:piggy:your horse is too tall:piggy:
:piggie:and your brain is too small:piggie:

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

#8368194 - 05/06/08 09:36 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

MOTH said:
Hey girl,

My opinion is that Andrea has typically not been the best friend for you (from what I heard), and Viktor has been your baby for a long time now.  You've nurtured and loved that lizard; I've seen it with my own eyes, and I see such affection in your eyes when you speak of him. 

In my opinion, you should tell Andrea that you've bonded with the lizard and that you worry for his safety in her hands.  Just be completely honest.  I don't know; it's tricky, but in the end, Viktor has been there for you, and she hasn't.  :shrug:  He deserves a loving home where his needs will be considered. 

I agree.

And as far as lizards having personalities, they totally do. I've been keeping reptiles and amphibians for over 10 years and each one definitely has a personality. Beardies in particular have some of the most pronounced personalities of any herp I've ever kept. I've been contemplating getting a beardie now that I have a place for one. Hrmmmm :strokebeard:

Viktor needs to be kept by someone who is passionate about him. If you can't take him, let the next most responsible person take him, not Andrea.

I had to leave my frog (Pyxie frog, aka African Bullfrog) at home with my parents when I moved into dorms. I felt so guilty about it. When he lived with me I cleaned his cage at least once a month and gave him new plants to hide in and whatnot. Once I left, my parents fed him and scooped the duckweed out of his cage, thats it. They were afraid he would bite them, and he probably would, and they might need stitches if he did.

Now I am getting my own place. As soon as finals are done I'm driving home and bringing him back up here. He always seems to perk up when he hears my voice. He'll finally be living the good life again :smile:

Do you have any pictures of Viktor?

Offlinemisterdogman
Educationalresearcher ofthe Shroom
Male

Loc: International Waters in a...
Re: Moral Dilemma (with pet) [Re: Gumby]
    #8368412 - 05/06/08 11:03 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Gumby said:
Quote:

MOTH said:
Hey girl,

I agree.

And as far as lizards having personalities, they totally do. I've been keeping reptiles and amphibians for over 10 years and each one definitely has a personality. Beardies in particular have some of the most pronounced personalities of any herp I've ever kept. I've been contemplating getting a beardie now that I have a place for one. Hrmmmm :strokebeard:

Viktor needs to be kept by someone who is passionate about him. If you can't take him, let the next most responsible person take him, not Andrea.

I had to leave my frog (Pyxie frog, aka African Bullfrog) at home with my parents when I moved into dorms. I felt so guilty about it. When he lived with me I cleaned his cage at least once a month and gave him new plants to hide in and whatnot. Once I left, my parents fed him and scooped the duckweed out of his cage, thats it. They were afraid he would bite them, and he probably would, and they might need stitches if he did.

Now I am getting my own place. As soon as finals are done I'm driving home and bringing him back up here. He always seems to perk up when he hears my voice. He'll finally be living the good life again :smile:

Do you have any pictures of Viktor?

I had a pac man frog from Argentina but a African would eat one of them.... even though my Pac would eat a small rat. You ever feed your AB mice or do u stick to smaller critters? Frogs are so cool, I got a nice ranarium with some whites tree frogs in it now...I once had a beardie and its true, theyre all different, this one i had didnt like anyone near him until he got use to you then hed come to you...talk about personalities..He fell in love with a girlfriend of mine and wouldnt leave her lap, they are still together today since she wanted him so bad and I had just adopted him from a friend I let her her have him.

--------------------
While driving my overpowered car around tight corners like a maniac all my friends yell out. Hey man slow down, we might Wreck. I reply, Shut up, I drive like Dale Earnhardt. They all look around at each other and laugh. Then one asks me. Hey wait, isnt he dead? Well yeah he is I said. Then I drive like Junior I mumble, while I promptly slow down.
"Everyday is opposite day. Everything I say is opposite of what you think I am saying. So if I say something and you think I mean one thing it is the opposite of what I am really trying to say. I actually mean another thing other than what you are thinking I am saying. Get it? Good because that's what I meant".
"You may defeat me, you may even destroy me, But you will never CONQUER me"!

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: Moral Dilemma (with pet) [Re: misterdogman]
    #8369288 - 05/06/08 03:11 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I feed him mice. If I fed Pierre crickets, he'd probably eat about 2 dozen at a time. He's about 4 inches long and about 3.5 inches wide. He still has a lot more growing to do too. They're the second largest frog in the world and can weigh up to 5 lbs!

I'd post pics, but I don't want to hijack the thread.

OfflineKamek
Male User Gallery

Re: Moral Dilemma (with pet) [Re: Gumby]
    #8369671 - 05/06/08 04:48 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Tell her he died and give him to your brother.
It's not like she is likely to find out about it, right?

InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Massachusetts
    #8369873 - 05/06/08 05:45 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

MOTH said:
Hey girl,

I agree with MOTH 100%  If you don't feel like he will be well cared for, then find someone to take him.  I wouldn't suggest your brother though, since she knows that you have considered going that route - that would put him in a sticky situation, and he might end up giving the lil guy back to her anyways.

--------------------
Remember, remember the fifth of November
The gunpowder treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

OfflineAScannerDarkly
On StrangerTides
Male

Re: Moral Dilemma (with pet) [Re: Liz]
    #8369961 - 05/06/08 06:10 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Offer to pay her for the thing. I bet shell take the money

--------------------
[quote]Voido said:
[quote]drken said:
Dont get me wrong he is a funny guy, just not a great actor. Smoke some bud and watch the movie, weed helps me pick out shitty acting. [/quote]

no your just stoned. stop smoking pot [/quote]

Invisiblevitadura
Dream Seeker

Loc: Here, Now Flag
Re: Moral Dilemma (with pet) [Re: AScannerDarkly]
    #8371915 - 05/07/08 04:46 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for all your input, shroomerites. I haven't decided how to break the news to Andrea yet, but I know I am not giving him back to her for sure.

In response to:
Quote:

AScannerDarkly said:
Offer to pay her for the thing. I bet shell take the money

My initial reaction was, "Yeah, she probably would." But after a few minutes of pondering on the idea, I realize that she would make some kind of fus about it since she is so pushy, argumentative, and one-sided (and ALWAYS right, even when she knows she's obviously wrong).

Gumby, you can hijack my thread all you want. I'd love to see pictures of your little buddy, too.

Here's a bunch of Viktor:

Sometimes he likes to get comfy in weird places.

--------------------
"You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here." -Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Moral Dilemma (with pet) [Re: Atheist]
    #8371937 - 05/07/08 05:14 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Atheist said:
Wow that is a kind of sad. You really need to sit down with your friend and be like: "OK, the lizard needs to be taken care of. He needs *this* *this* and *that* and if he doesnt get those things he can get sick and possibly die."

:wink: :thumbup:

Kinda hard to tell her you're not gonna give her pet back.
I'd be pissed, if you were to tell me, you're not gonna give me my pet back.

Shitty situation regardless.

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

Offlineanyone420
mad buddah abuser
 User Gallery

Re: Moral Dilemma (with pet) [Re: niteowl]
    #8371942 - 05/07/08 05:17 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

animal shelter

--------------------
for all y’all niggaz out there that be puffin shit
when the music go on, y’all listen to this alright

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds