Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineLimes
fellowsopher
Male

Loc: Canada
Selfish.
    #8363873 - 05/05/08 01:46 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/life/

When you look at nasa's website, where they mention the possibility of life on mars..they don't make it look very exciting:
"If "Martians" ever existed, they wouldn't be the "little green men" of our imagination. Water probably didn't exist on the surface of Mars long enough for anything other than very small, bacteria-like life forms to develop. Even the prospect of finding the tiniest life forms, however, is extremely exciting. To our knowledge, life has only developed on one planet: Earth.".

all on a plain white background, doesn't really stimulate the minds of aspiring young scientists, does it?

sometimes I wonder if they make it seem so boring just so we aren't excited about space and the universe so that nasa can be the ones to see all of the greatest sights and discover the most amazing facts of the universe, without society making a big deal (which it should be) about all that good stuff and going on about contacting other life forms and such.

just an opinion, anyone who wishes to discuss, feel free. :rasta:
:peace:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePsilobuds

Loc: Flag
Re: Selfish. [Re: Limes]
    #8363965 - 05/05/08 03:23 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#8363982 - 05/05/08 03:42 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

lets just put it this way, the average american is NOT somebody an alien should meet for the first time

so if that is what they are doing then they are prob on the right tract somewhat

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
    #8364118 - 05/05/08 06:40 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

NASA just the media front.

The military agencies have highly advanced spacecraft nothing like the little firecrackers NASA still use.

The triangle shaped UFO craft often seen by the public are often military technology. It utilizes a mercury based plasma to achieve lift. Other methods of lift where invented years ago by Tesla (all his info was taken by the US government) and T.T. Brown.

I honestly think theres two main reasons for this
1. To give the military a secret advantage
2. To keep the existing structure of society together

Imagine we found out tomorrow that we are already in contact with several highly advanced alien species and they can penetrate our defenses at will. We are at their complete mercy. People would fucking freak. We civilians are here to do our menial jobs and keep the pyramid structure together while those who have the power (those with the money) continue to act like the megalomaniacs they are.

OfflineBrugman
antisobrietarian
Male

Loc: the land up over Flag
    #8364202 - 05/05/08 07:53 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Limes said:
nasa can be the ones to see all of the greatest sights and discover the most amazing facts of the universe, without society making a big deal (which it should be)

o rly?

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #8364213 - 05/05/08 08:01 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

The Universe is an endless expanse of diversity and life and we as a species should be enthralled and united to explore it together, in peace and wonder. To my knowledge, life has developed on millions of planets in this galaxy alone.. and there are thousands of trillions of trillions of galaxies at least. One could spend hundreds of lifetimes exploring the vastness of space and it would just be a drop in the ocean. We are really quite primitive as a civilization and actually know very very little. We would be wise to remain humble and stay civil towards each other and other lifeforms we may encounter, some of whom may be millions of years more developed as a species than us, whom we could learn a lot from.

I don't think weaponizing space is a smart idea.

--------------------

OfflineBrugman
antisobrietarian
Male

Loc: the land up over Flag
Re: Selfish. [Re: Shroomism]
    #8364227 - 05/05/08 08:07 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Seems like life is so fucked up on this planet that we shouldn't even give a shit about what's out there in space. Humans are funny that way, I suppose.

Our world collapses while we look to the heavens.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Selfish. [Re: Brugman]
    #8364233 - 05/05/08 08:09 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Very very true. Which is why aliens have no interest in making open contact. We are not spiritually prepared as a species.
We cannot embrace the Universe, and other.. foreign lifeforms.. if we cannot even embrace our own planet and our own species.
It's logic 101.

We have no business whatsoever in space at this current time. Not until we get shit sorted out on Earth first.

Look at it from their point of view... we destroy each other, in cruel and inhumane ways... we pollute and ravage our own planet that supports our own existence... and we are going to be peaceful towards them? outsiders? As if.
What do highly evolved sentient beings want anything to do with a warlike race of ignorant savages anyway?

--------------------

Offlinecircularvortex
Bass Head
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Selfish. [Re: Shroomism]
    #8364241 - 05/05/08 08:14 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Where did you acquire this knowledge of millions of planets with life when scientists haven't been able to find one?

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, federal, or fashion police laws. All posts are works of fiction.

For well you know that its a fool who plays it cool
By making his world a little colder.

Under closer inspection I realised it was a funky ball of tits from outer space.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Selfish. [Re: circularvortex]
    #8364265 - 05/05/08 08:24 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

What do Earth scientists know? They think the odds of life in the universe are slim. HA! We don't even understand gravity, and haven't even traveled outside of our own solar system. We are hardly qualified to be called experts in the field. It's all based on biased speculation and flawed theories.

More like, the odds of no life is slim. The Universe is teeming with life.

I learned a long time ago (relatively speaking). In a different body. It's common knowledge in most of the rest of the Universe. We just happen to live in the sticks of this galaxy.

And now I expect some scientists to come in here and tell me I am insane. As if I want to be considered sane by this world's standards.
Nah, I'll stick to being "crazy".

--------------------

InvisibleScratcher
Stranger

Loc: eH
    #8364299 - 05/05/08 08:49 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

nasa is a giant scam. it is a PR front to hide everything of importance that has ever been discovered about our universe from us lowly peasants.

Dark Mission

OfflineSnape
Eternal Chaos
Male

Loc: Montreal, Quebec
    #8364355 - 05/05/08 09:11 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Aliens should meet the Dalai Lama first.

Then martial artists.

Then musicians.

Then Shroomism.

Then the rest of the Shroomery.

Then my dealer.

--------------------
I'm floating in the sea of stars,
I'm drifting away from the shore
I will be lost in the dream when the dark days come
But I will make the time run backwards and
I'll make the stars shine again

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #8364388 - 05/05/08 09:26 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Limes said:

all on a plain white background, doesn't really stimulate the minds of aspiring young scientists, does it?

The MARS missions are largely coordinated by Nasa's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (as evidenced by the URL you have linked us to). JPL is within walking distance of where I currently live and this last weekend was their annual open house, where the public can come to freely discuss matters with their engineers and scientists, and view breakthrough technology, taking tours of some of their interior facilities, watching live presentations of their new (and old) Mars rover prototypes, 3D landscapes of the red planet, simulated space environments and 800 lb satellite telescope arrays, etc...

My point is this, after speaking with quite a few of the scientists at the open house on Saturday, and listening to presentations many of which were done by young (18 - 20 year old) CalTech students involved with the various ongoing projects... I don't think these scientists and students need or even want flashy, colorful, and entrancing stories to "stimulate their minds" and motivate their ambition. The type of people who are working on these Nasa/JPL projects are of such extreme intelligence and dedication that they pine most for the raw data, fastest access to information and calculation, without any bells and whistles that could otherwise distract from the core study at hand. There is no need for sensationalism, because the simple nature of what they are doing is sensational enough! These people are all business, not there to entertain or convince, but full of passion for their study and truthful knowledge.

As for the quote about "little green men" never existing, and likely only "small, bacteria-like life forms" having ever existed on Mars, I think that just goes to show the no bullshit attitude these genius minds take to their workplace. With the millions of dollars they spend on each individual project, they don't have time to dream up fanciful hypothesis that may advertise more than they can deliver. Their job is to scientifically study and implement experiments to gain accurate data. I believe it is healthy to take a conservative stance on such topics as life on mars. It's the most realistic position to take given the data we have already collected from orbiters and existing rovers that have visited the red planet. And if Nasa were to speculate by producing wonderful and entertaining stories about their studies, they may end up losing (even more) funding from Congress once their wild speculation never materializes.

Just my few cents...

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order