Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineblackegg
...has left the building.
Male User Gallery

Re: overpopulation [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #8345007 - 04/30/08 04:52 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Imagine frogs slowly boiling in a pot.

--------------------
'Pain is meant to wake us up. People try to hide their pain. But they're wrong. Pain is something to carry, like a radio. You feel your strength in the experience of pain. It's all in how you carry it. That's what matters. Pain is a feeling. Your feelings are a part of you. Your own reality. If you feel ashamed of them, and hide them, you're letting society destroy your reality. You should stand up for your right to feel your pain and leave the Shroomery.' ~ Jim Morrison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineanyone420
mad buddah abuser
 User Gallery

Re: overpopulation [Re: blackegg]
    #8345017 - 04/30/08 05:08 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Overpopulation will be fixed by the earth i think.

Government getting involved... makes me absolutely sick.

The way i see it - the earth has gone through some crazy fucking shit as far as natural disasters, complete planetary destruction, whatever... So i don't think anything we humans can do will really make a difference in the long run. The threat of global warming is a threat to humanity, not to life in general or the earth.

That being said, i'm all about respecting the earth and animals. I find a reason within myself to prize these things, not for some long term benefit. I enjoy the companionship of an animal and the beauty of nature. I believe the highest learning is through the earth and ones self, not through a textbook.

--------------------
for all y’all niggaz out there that be puffin shit
when the music go on, y’all listen to this alright

Offlinerexmundi
Stranger

Re: overpopulation [Re: anyone420]
    #8345303 - 04/30/08 08:02 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I'd say we have an overpopulation problem. We didn't start off with a population of 6 billion. It's growing too, and along with food shortages, there's going to be problems.

There certainly is a distribution problem, but if it were to somehow get levelled, it wouldn't necessarily be a good thing. Here in the "developed world" we consume about 80% of the resources/wealth, while we represent about 20% of the population. If every person in the "underdeveloped world" were to consume the way that we consume the world's resources would be gone fast.

I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but I've read some numbers where they talk about how much space would be needed to collect the waste, how quickly the lumber would be harvested etc. It's pretty shocking.

Fortunately, as our population and resource consumption spirals out of control, humans have not gotten better at dealing with consequences. Environmental shifts, all kinds of deadly chemicals in everyday life, and emerging "superbugs"should be able to clean up some of the mess for us. Whether that will ultimately help or not who knows.

I don't think any of this will affect any of us any time soon, but It always shocks me when I hear people talk about how big the planet is, and that we human can't really have an impact.

100 years from now is going to be very interesting, of course, you could have said that 100 years ago. Life goes on.

--------------------
"I Love Democracy"
-Emporer Palpatine

Fuck the system.

Offlinefrisky_
don't panic.

Re: overpopulation [Re: leoside]
    #8346235 - 04/30/08 02:41 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

leoside said:
Quote:

frisky_ said:
Fucking humans, we just reproduce and reproduce.

We're destroying this beautiful place!

We hate you too, dipshit

And I hate you as well! :lol:

--------------------
:piggy:your horse is too tall:piggy:
:piggie:and your brain is too small:piggie:

Invisibleleoside
AKA cannon fodder
Re: overpopulation [Re: frisky_]
    #8346252 - 04/30/08 02:48 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

:grin:

--------------------
I watched with glee
While your kings and queens
Fought for ten decades
For the gods they made

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: overpopulation [Re: tak]
    #8346733 - 04/30/08 05:51 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

tak said:
Do you think world governments would work together at cutting some of the planets human fat?

oh yea i could see that happening any day now.........

Invisibleadrug

Re: overpopulation [Re: tak]
    #8346778 - 04/30/08 06:04 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

If every woman on earth only had one child throughout her life from now on, our population would start to reduce dramatically in just a few generations. Eventually it would be back down to the numbers it was at before the Industrial Revolution.

Unfortunately, you will never get every woman on earth to have only one child. For every woman that doesn't have a child, there's another one with 8 of them.

Offlineanyone420
mad buddah abuser
 User Gallery

Re: overpopulation [Re: adrug]
    #8346786 - 04/30/08 06:06 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

To be fair they can't make them on their own.

--------------------

Invisibleadrug

#8346845 - 04/30/08 06:21 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I was thinking though that a man could probably just go and have as many kids as he wants...as long as they each had different mothers, and each mother could only have one child. Or maybe my brain is not working properly...

Offlineanyone420
mad buddah abuser
 User Gallery

#8346860 - 04/30/08 06:24 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Sign me up

--------------------

InvisibleTheFakeSunRa
Bitch Splitter
 User Gallery

Loc: Dirdy SOUF Flag
    #8346862 - 04/30/08 06:24 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Overpopulation isn't only a problem it's really the only problem. People who deny that the world is overpopulated :macdre:... Christ, I cannot fathom how the fuck anyone on earth can't see that there's way way waaaay too many humans. When we measure our population in billions and every other large species is measured in the thousands (or fucking less) then, uh yeah, the balance is fucked. People who argue the world isn't overpopulated aren't even worth fucking talking too. It's so goddamn stupid.

About resources: It doesn't matter if they're renewable because we are consuming all of them way faster than they are being renewed. The fish in the sea are being depleted for fucks sake. It used to be that bison covered the land for as far as the eye can see in the area that is now Wyoming. Lewis and Clark said the rivers in America used to be so jumping with salmon that you couldn't even see the water. Crime, war, pollution, famine fucking all of it occurs because there are too many of us. What can we do? Be like me and don't breed. Shit, all you have to do is visit a school and you'll soon realize that only dipshit fucktards are having babies anyway. The world isn't only getting more crowded it's getting profoundly dumber as well. ADHD and all that bullshit, it's just bad genes getting together and acting like stupid monkeys. But at least monkeys have some sense of balance. Hopefully an asteroid will hit.

--------------------
[quote]Asante said:
You constantly make posts thatr fling middle school insults at people you don't like mixed in with maladjusted psychopathic comments about wanting to beat up the other poster with a crowbar.

You know how shit you are, you just don't give a fuck for precisely that reason.

I disendorse you.[/quote]

Offlineanyone420
mad buddah abuser
 User Gallery

Re: overpopulation [Re: TheFakeSunRa]
    #8346879 - 04/30/08 06:28 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

:thumbdown: to you.

--------------------

InvisibleTheFakeSunRa
Bitch Splitter
 User Gallery

#8346898 - 04/30/08 06:33 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Thumbs down?

--------------------
[quote]Asante said:
You constantly make posts thatr fling middle school insults at people you don't like mixed in with maladjusted psychopathic comments about wanting to beat up the other poster with a crowbar.

You know how shit you are, you just don't give a fuck for precisely that reason.

Offlinerobbyberto
Water Boy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Netherlands Flag
Re: overpopulation [Re: TheFakeSunRa]
    #8346914 - 04/30/08 06:37 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

We may not have the means to support the current population comfortably now, but we will be able to support perhaps a global population in the hundreds of billions in a few hundred years. Not that we'll be around then, but it seems to be the way things are heading with genetically modified food, advances in medicine, etc. It may not happen, either. There will probably be some pretty nasty pandemics which will help to limit the population.

--------------------
“People say having kids is life changing, well that doesn’t necessarily mean a good thing, does it? I could take one of my legs off. That would change my life.” -Karl Pilkington

Offlinetoastandjam
Tastes Grate, Lesh Philling
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: overpopulation [Re: zouden]
    #8346931 - 04/30/08 06:41 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

zouden said:
People have been saying overpopulation is a problem since the 1800s. I don't think it really is.... I mean, there's plenty of food in the world, and living space, and water. What else does humanity need?

But locally, these things are scarce. In many third-world countries there is a lack of food, or the cities are too crowded. In Australia we have plenty of food and space, but not enough water.

Overpopulation is not the problem. Distribution of resources is.

You've outfoxed yourself with you own logic.

Lets examine world population...

1800: 0.978 billion
1900: 1.65 billion (Note: Major development and modernization here-- ie resource usage per unit population begins increasing)
1950: 2.52 billion
1969: 3.63 billion (an increase in 20 years that took over 50 years in the previous step)

aaand all the way up to now

2008 est.: 6,664,092,450 (6.664 billion)

80% of farmable land on Earth is currently in use. 30% is livestock. A lot of this feeding machine depends heavily on fossil fuels.

More than half the people in the world suffer from the effects of contaminated drinking water supplies.

Generally, the world has been overpopulated for a while now.

To say that population isnt the problem, that if only these resources were more favorably allocated to our population things would be alright isnt even true anymore.

By 2050, barring massive catastrophe, you can reasonably expect the world population to be about 7.9 billion. Even with ideal distribution, these are diminishing systems and eventually everyone's in the shit.

--------------------
Q: We wanted to see if you had the ability to expand your mind and your horizons... and for one brief moment, you did.
PICARD: When I realized the paradox...
Q: Exactly. For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you'd never considered. That's the exploration that awaits you...not mapping stars and studying nebulae... but charting the unknowable possibilities of existence.

To carry yourself forward and experience myriad things is delusion. That myriad things come forth and experience themselves is awakening. -Dogen Zenji

InvisibleTheFakeSunRa
Bitch Splitter
 User Gallery

Re: overpopulation [Re: robbyberto]
    #8346938 - 04/30/08 06:42 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Next few hundred years... yeah who the fuck knows, maybe they'll make some kind of shrinking device

--------------------
[quote]Asante said:

Offlinerobbyberto
Water Boy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Netherlands Flag
Re: overpopulation [Re: toastandjam]
    #8346942 - 04/30/08 06:43 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

You're all underestimating the power of technology and the law of accelerating returns.

--------------------
“People say having kids is life changing, well that doesn’t necessarily mean a good thing, does it? I could take one of my legs off. That would change my life.” -Karl Pilkington

Invisibleadrug

Re: overpopulation [Re: toastandjam]
    #8346948 - 04/30/08 06:44 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

:congrats:

Well played!

InvisibleTheFakeSunRa
Bitch Splitter
 User Gallery

#8346949 - 04/30/08 06:44 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I'm the one who suggested they might build a shrinking device!

--------------------
[quote]Asante said:

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

Loc: Gondwana
    #8346960 - 04/30/08 06:46 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Nature will decide when over-population is a problem. When H5N1 (or some other thing) goes airborne and human-to-human, and kills half of Earth's population.. well, we'll know.

--------------------

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom