Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejazzillion
Conscious
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Incubation of jars in a cooler question.
    #8339303 - 04/28/08 08:43 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Im just looking for verification on my incubation setup. I have a Rubbermaid cooler with a reptile heat mat in it that is plugged to a control gauge. I have two separate batches of jars that I have in separate bags (the jars are in black garbage bags put into brown paper shopping bags). I have the two batches stacked in the separate bags on top of each other, so that they are not too close to the heat mat. Is this okay? I heard of contamination jump. Should I check the jars more often? Is it just bad practice to stack? Can it cause heat build up?

Thanks.

--------------------
When it rains, it spores :shroompick:

"Consciousness is the Universe recognizing itself." Once we perceive that everything is conscious we can then ask, "How does consciousness take all these varied forms?" - The Primacy of Consciousness by Peter Russell

All works of poster are of absolute fiction to be used for no other purpose but amusement.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: Incubation of jars in a cooler question. [Re: jazzillion]
    #8339331 - 04/28/08 08:47 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

They will produce some of there own heat, so dont get them to hot...Room temp is just fine...

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Invisiblegrymmtymm
lostinthought
 User Gallery

Loc: inside your head
    #8339358 - 04/28/08 08:49 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

yes, keep them away from the heat pad

no, you can stack them if you want but i have never found it beneficial or harmful, probably best not to do so though..

yes, possibly heat could build up but worse is that you could block gas exchange..

yes, check jars often, especially the closer they get to full colonization..

really no need to put them into a garbage bag then a paper bag, no bags necessary....

--------------------
If you always do what you always did you always get what you always got.

InvisibleRickster
El Conquistador
Male User Gallery

Loc: Babylon
    #8339367 - 04/28/08 08:50 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

There is no need for an elaborate setup for incubating jars. I just put then in my oven or closet, wherever is most convenient. As far as contams jumping from jar to jar I have never heard of it. As long as they have proper filters for gas exchange and are dry you should be good! Usually my failure is due to lack of sterility!

Offlinejazzillion
Conscious
Male User Gallery

Re: Incubation of jars in a cooler question. [Re: Rickster]
    #8339421 - 04/28/08 09:02 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

The thing is where I live it's still pretty cold and our house stays about 65 degrees on average (cooler in the morning), so I didn't expect a good colonization process. I do have masking tape and foil over the jar lids. Should I remove them out of the bags, and just place them at the bottom of the cooler, no heat necessary? The lids are secured tightly. Do I need to take some venting measures?

Thanks for the advice.

--------------------

"Consciousness is the Universe recognizing itself." Once we perceive that everything is conscious we can then ask, "How does consciousness take all these varied forms?" - The Primacy of Consciousness by Peter Russell

All works of poster are of absolute fiction to be used for no other purpose but amusement.

Offlinejazzillion
Conscious
Male User Gallery

Re: Incubation of jars in a cooler question. [Re: Rickster]
    #8339505 - 04/28/08 09:16 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

What type of filters?

--------------------

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #8339531 - 04/28/08 09:20 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

If you need an incubator, I'd go with a TiT setup. Heat pads tend to get too hot and dry out jars that are in direct contact with them. The TiT setup provides gentle, even heat. The other thing it the garbage bags you're using may suffocate your jars by cutting off gas exchange.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

InvisibleDCRC184
Ganja Connosseiur
Male

Re: Incubation of jars in a cooler question. [Re: FooMan]
    #8339550 - 04/28/08 09:26 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I'm assuming that you have a layer of dry verm as a contaminant barrier so..
First, you should get rid of the garbage bags and remove the masking tape from the holes to allow for gas exchange. I would keep the foil on the lids as long as they are loose enough for gas exchange.
Then you should put them in a TiT setup like FooMan said.

Offlinejazzillion
Conscious
Male User Gallery

Re: Incubation of jars in a cooler question. [Re: DCRC184]
    #8339585 - 04/28/08 09:33 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I do have a layer of dry verm. So I'll remove masking tape, loosen the lids, but is it okay to keep them in the cooler? My first jars have been taking awhile, this might be the culprit. I have a heat mat regulator, so it has been a constant 75. I'm not pushing it. I just can't really deal with any new expenditures.

--------------------

InvisibleDCRC184
Ganja Connosseiur
Male

#8339628 - 04/28/08 09:43 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I would put the heat pad on the bottom of the cooler and rig up a way to keep the jars a few inches up off the pad.

Keep the lids tight. What i meant was for you to make sure the foil covering the lids is somewhat loose.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #8339661 - 04/28/08 09:50 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Let your jars colonize in the open. Sealing them up with plastic or in a container can cause the dry verm filter to get damp, ruining its effectiveness. I strongly dislike 'incubators'. I'd suggest a high bookshelf or on top of a cabinet. It's always warmer near the ceiling.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinejazzillion
Conscious
Male User Gallery

Re: Incubation of jars in a cooler question. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8339702 - 04/28/08 09:58 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Do you just store your jars in a bin of some sort with the lids (covered with foil) fully exposed to the room's atmosphere? I have cats and thought that recipe was just asking for contamination. Not to mention the temp in my house varies between night and day pretty drastically. It appears that some of the dry verm on top of my first set of jars has become a little moist as it is. Any advice?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #8339736 - 04/28/08 10:04 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Leave them in the open and get the foil off. The foil is to prevent water that drips off the top of the boiling pot from getting into the jars. Once you remove jars from the sterilizer, you're supposed to remove the foil. Here's how I colonize jars.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleDCRC184
Ganja Connosseiur
Male

#8339753 - 04/28/08 10:08 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

65 degrees (out in the open) isn't ideal. Instead you should shoot for around 80 degrees (in the cooler).

RR knows his stuff, but i think it would be best to keep the jars in the cooler (maybe open the cooler a little bit)
As long as they are undisturbed, some moisture in the verm layer shouldn't be a major problem.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom