Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineCakes
some guy
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Arizonee
When and how to find a counselor/therapist
    #8330557 - 04/26/08 01:17 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

It seems like I've been going through these mental health issues for way to long.  I'm so so ready to get into the world and experience life as I should...but I can't seem to do it.  No matter how much awesome advice I gather from friends, family, and even the Anonymous forum here -- I cannot seem to change anything.

So I'm considering finding a counselor...but I don't know exactly how the whole counselor things works.  Do you have to go in with a specific problem?  I don't even know the first things about my issues -- but I would be able to easily spout off a bunch of "symptoms".

And are there different types of counselors for different types of problems?  I have a wide plethora of issues (a list of them all together would make me look like a wackjob), so I would need someone who could go through everything.  And I would need someone that would not judge...and even be very active in trying to get me to talk.  I feel self conscious about a lot of things and would have trouble just blurting everything out to a complete stranger.

So, I don't know.  If you know anything about this sort of things I would really appreciate it :smile:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: When and how to find a counselor/therapist [Re: Cakes]
    #8330914 - 04/26/08 02:54 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

idk about finding one, but in my case i saw my families doctor who's been tending us for over a dozen years, she saw i had problems and referred me to a therapist. the first session was free, you basically just talked. therapists don't give you a topic, well maybe ask "how are you doing?" and then from thereon you just talk, like a jug of water that's being poured out until you've said everything you wanted and then some. therapist listens and tells asks if you wish to come again at what rates and when.

i went there for half a year. therapist should give you feedback and not direct advice. you will have to find that by yourself with the therapists help.

--------------------

OfflineImperialCactus
Stranger

#8332450 - 04/26/08 10:03 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds like you want to see a psychologist, which is a good first step as I was in a similar situation not too long ago. Finding one you like is the hard part. As far as I know, you either pick one at random or you might even need a referral from your general doctor, depending on your insurance. That's what I did, your best bet is probably to talk to any doctor or other qualified medical professional that you can trust and ask for a referral.

The first psychologist I saw was really cool, very easy person to talk to because he was so damn funny. It wouldn't really get awkward like you might think because of that mainly, but also because he was honest and easy going. After a brief introduction and talk about why I was there he gave me this test to take, think it was abbreviated as MMPI or something like that, but basically a legal, multiple choice style test designed to help diagnose mental and personality disorders. As long as your honest it should be fairly accurate. After their initial diagnosis they will make their recommendations and you go from there.

The second psychologist I ended up seeing was a total asshole pretty much. He agreed with my original diagnosis and wanted me to just talk about whatever was on my mind during our sessions. That was pointless and since he thought otherwise and wouldn't try something else I gave up on that.

So, you really just need to find one that your comfortable with. And also keep in mind they can't prescribe you anything, that is what psychiatrists are for, so if you end up taking anything you will be seeing both of them most likely.

OfflineCakes
some guy
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Arizonee
Re: When and how to find a counselor/therapist [Re: ImperialCactus]
    #8333002 - 04/27/08 01:19 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Ok cool, thanks a ton man. I'll definitely look into seeing a psychologist. No worries about seeing a Psychiatrist though...taking meds would pretty much be a last resort.

So if I'm understanding correctly -- a therapist mostly gives feedback, while a psychologist actually helps analyze and work with problems actively?

Or maybe that's a little to black and white of a comparison.

--------------------

Edited by Cakes (04/27/08 01:36 AM)

OfflineImperialCactus
Stranger

#8334907 - 04/27/08 05:45 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Hmm... that's confusing, but here's my understanding of it. A therapist makes me think of a physical therapist sort of person, not mental... but maybe they are referred to that as well. Same with counselor, I guess you can call them that but am not sure it's the right word to use. A psychologist is the person your probably thinking of, the one that has you get comfortable in his office and talk for 45 minutes. They aren't real doctors, they're just supposed to have a better understanding of psychology and mental issues. It really depends on what your problems are as well, they should give feedback but some are more proactive than others. Some prefer for you to figure it out yourself with their guidance, others may try and spell everything out right in front you. They all have slightly different styles and ways of helping people, you just need to find one that you agree with. I'm not sure what else to say other than good luck at this point.

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #8336700 - 04/28/08 04:50 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

go to your homedoctor, he'll point you to a psychologist:thumbup:

another thumbup for stepping up for yourself

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale