Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Anonymous #1

I'm astonished at how cold 'shroomerites' can be
    #8328883 - 04/25/08 10:37 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I see a lot of posts about sensitive issues in all kinds of forums, such as deaths of loved ones or someone working out painful issues, and it's almost expected to see someone write the equivalent of the proverbial punch in the gut.

What the fuck? Are people really such assholes or do people somehow forget that there is a living being behind the post and just decide to write as if they were insulting a computer?

Also most of the "condolences" are shit like "really sorry to hear that. At least your friend was having fun before he died. let that be a lesson to us all not to drink and drive". Like that is really any condolence at all. It's bullshit. There's nothing you can really say to make someone feel better but why would they pretend that their little "tip" or viewpoint does the trick? At least it isn't the insurmountable "that was dumb of your friend to fuck up. i'm wasted right now and i'm going to drive right now and not be so stupid and crash". :shakehead:

It hurts me to see these posts, I feel like this community should be so much better than this.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCompass
Ancient Light

Loc: The Border of Reality
Re: I'm astonished at how cold 'shroomerites' can be [Re: Anonymous #1]
    #8328920 - 04/25/08 10:45 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

You can't get those kinds of posts in this forum.

You are guaranteed kind people with good responses here.

If those replies were in this forum, they are in violation of the rules.

Anonymous #1

Re: I'm astonished at how cold 'shroomerites' can be [Re: Compass]
    #8328946 - 04/25/08 10:55 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

It shouldn't have to be a RULE. You can't make people care about each other with RULES.

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
Re: I'm astonished at how cold 'shroomerites' can be [Re: Compass]
    #8328947 - 04/25/08 10:56 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

i wouldnt say guaranteed.........

but to anonymous, i completely agree, i would say that nearly once a day i see someone post a seriously sensitive topic and there is always someone willing to be the douchebag and hit as low as possible, its very sad.

--------------------

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#8328950 - 04/25/08 10:57 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

As much as you have a fair point, it's also difficult to extend sincere and thoughtful condolences over an internet forum to a person you've never met. Sometimes I say things that fall short, but it's not a matter of being cold, it's more a matter of not really knowing what to say. In real life, sincere condolences usually involve hugs, spending time with the bereaved person, and the ability to communicate more fully through gestures and facial expressions.

Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

Loc: Denver Colorado
Re: I'm astonished at how cold 'shroomerites' can be [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #8329433 - 04/26/08 03:02 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Don't sweat them. People who are lacking in love end up, well, lacking love. Even if they're just striving to get noticed, it shows where they're at in life.

Nobody who is loved and feels secure makes remarks such as those you've mentioned. So in an ironies twist, the biggest jerks are the saddest examples of our race.

Don't let it get you down.

--------------------
A society whose whole idea is to eliminate suffering and bring it's members the greatest amount of comfort and pleasure is doomed to be destroyed -Thomas Merton

Anonymous #2

#8329563 - 04/26/08 05:18 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Anonymous said:
It hurts me to see these posts, I feel like this community should be so much better than this.

It seems like you're the one forgetting that it's just people on the other side the screen. We are not protagonists in a novel not sensitive superheroes, nor figments of your imagination. We are fallible humans just like you, with opinions that may differ from yours and tact is not always our strong point. "better" is a value judgment out of your own personal morality as is saying what this community should or should not be.

I for one find it impossible to praise the life of someone who has died because of his or her own stupidity. The typical Anglosaxon reflex of turning the recently dead into saints, instantly forgetting all the crap they pulled while being alive sickens me to the very core of my being.

When posting about sensitive issues, especially in the anonymous forum I value the honest responses most of all even if they are crass and may hurt me while reading them.

The one thing I find more frustrating that continuous criticism is uncritical praise and support. The latter feels like an insult to me, the opposite of communication.

Anonymous #1

Re: I'm astonished at how cold 'shroomerites' can be [Re: Anonymous #2]
    #8329595 - 04/26/08 06:19 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

It seems like you're the one forgetting that it's just people on the other side the screen. We are not protagonists in a novel not sensitive superheroes, nor figments of your imagination. We are fallible humans just like you, with opinions that may differ from yours and tact is not always our strong point. "better" is a value judgment out of your own personal morality as is saying what this community should or should not be.

I don't expect every single response to be a beautiful piece of writing that sooths the soul, or even to see 100% compassionate remarks. It is shear number of crappy, either mean-spirited responses, or insincere responses that just go through the motions. I expect people to be this bad towards each other in a novel but not in honest communication.

I for one find it impossible to praise the life of someone who has died because of his or her own stupidity. The typical Anglosaxon reflex of turning the recently dead into saints, instantly forgetting all the crap they pulled while being alive sickens me to the very core of my being.

It isn't anyone's place to judge the sibling, parent, friend, or lover of a bereaved person as sinner or saint. People don't make these posts to read judgements, they want help dealing with their feelings.

When posting about sensitive issues, especially in the anonymous forum I value the honest responses most of all even if they are crass and may hurt me while reading them.

The one thing I find more frustrating that continuous criticism is uncritical praise and support. The latter feels like an insult to me, the opposite of communication.

Ok, but if these responses help you, they are probably sincere. It is the insincere responses people only write to amuse themselves that I criticize. Also I see no reason to be crass, someone can just as easily present a viewpoint in a gentle manner as in a crass manner.

Anonymous #1

Re: I'm astonished at how cold 'shroomerites' can be [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #8329602 - 04/26/08 06:27 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

NiamhNyx said:
As much as you have a fair point, it's also difficult to extend sincere and thoughtful condolences over an internet forum to a person you've never met. Sometimes I say things that fall short, but it's not a matter of being cold, it's more a matter of not really knowing what to say. In real life, sincere condolences usually involve hugs, spending time with the bereaved person, and the ability to communicate more fully through gestures and facial expressions.

It is hard to extend sincere compassion over a computer screen, which honestly is why I usually don't try. I figure it is better to have a couple responses from a couple people who really care than from 20 strangers who can't relate. If I do say anything I don't try to make it seem like my response is any sort of solution, I just briefly feel the pain of that person and let them know yea, it hurts. :sad:

OfflinePupenhause
Toughguy
Male User Gallery

Loc: over here
    #8330192 - 04/26/08 11:11 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

those are the people that cry their asses off when that stuff happens to their friends.

OfflineHyper_Panda_GO
Team Action!

#8330466 - 04/26/08 12:52 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

That's humanity for you, it'll sound jackassy, but I don't know why you'd expect anything different from this specific online community

--------------------
There is no valid reason you should be reading this

InvisibleCameron
Too Many Words
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #8330513 - 04/26/08 01:04 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

If anything, I would expect less heartfelt replies from a community of young adults than an older community (most people here seem to be in their late teens or early twenties). Also, I don't think drug use has much of an effect on emotional sensitivity and empathy.

Edited by Cameron (04/27/08 10:18 PM)

Invisiblespud
I'm so fly.

#8330864 - 04/26/08 02:43 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Invisiblemushbaby
woodswalker
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: in my own lil world
    #8333692 - 04/27/08 10:43 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

That's the thing about the internet, everybody uses it.

Immature and mature alike.

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #8333715 - 04/27/08 10:59 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

If someone dies from driving drunk, it sure should teach people not to do it and whoever says so isn't in the wrong. The world doesn't exist to make sure you aren't offended.

Offlinebiggysmall
Stranger
Male

Loc: your moms bedroom
Re: I'm astonished at how cold 'shroomerites' can be [Re: Redstorm]
    #8333720 - 04/27/08 11:01 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

THe majority of the population on earth is heartless.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #8334220 - 04/27/08 01:58 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

By far, most posts here are well-meaning.

Negative posts are easy to deal with. Just scroll down to the next post. Don't stop to give them meaning, don't let them into your head. No need to curse them, no need to even roll your eyes. That is unless you enjoy having something upset you.

There are imperfections in everything; they don't have to spoil the good parts.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

OfflineCompass
Ancient Light

Loc: The Border of Reality
Re: I'm astonished at how cold 'shroomerites' can be [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #8335461 - 04/27/08 08:09 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

You could even ignore the person (this website will not show any posts from that person).

Anonymous #1

Re: I'm astonished at how cold 'shroomerites' can be [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #8336037 - 04/27/08 10:17 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

in hindsight its true most of the posts are good natured

at least right now it seems so

i tend to have mixed impressions of this community

OfflineTangerines
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: woodwork Flag
    #8336368 - 04/28/08 12:42 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

It's the internet dude. Don't take it so seriously. Why do you care if people say mean things about shit like that? Don't post personal stories if you are going to get all butthurt over simple text on an internet forum. :shrug:

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie

Re: I'm astonished at how cold 'shroomerites' can be [Re: Redstorm]
    #8336528 - 04/28/08 01:54 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
The world doesn't exist to make sure you aren't offended.

QFMFT

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

InvisibleCalifornia
A E S T H E T I C S A T A N
 User Gallery

Loc: H A U N T E D H O U S E Flag
    #8336584 - 04/28/08 02:30 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Anonymous said:

you are hurt, and you feel that this community should be so much better than human?:rofl2:

you appear to be a pessimist.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals