Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRectul Threat
Pint of cum(warm)
Male

Loc: London
What's the pros / cons of storring mushrooms in freezer?
    #8318655 - 04/23/08 12:46 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Keeping them in a fridge chilled is a good way i know but if you want to store a large amount for a while to come do you think it's a good idea to freeze them?

--------------------
Weed is shit.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledysphoria
lost soul

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What's the pros / cons of storring mushrooms in freezer? [Re: Rectul Threat]
    #8318670 - 04/23/08 12:49 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

100% dry and vacuum sealed is about the only way id store long term.

i need my fridge/freezer space for food.

--------------------

OfflineDick535
Stranger

Re: What's the pros / cons of storring mushrooms in freezer? [Re: dysphoria]
    #8318701 - 04/23/08 12:58 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I believe freezing them destroys the psilocybin.

--------------------
"The poor [peyote using] Indian, on the other hand, has had the wit to protect his rear by supplementing the fig leaf of a theology with the breechclout of transcendental experience" - Aldous Huxley

Offlinewolfiexiii
Oddity
Male

Re: What's the pros / cons of storring mushrooms in freezer? [Re: dysphoria]
    #8318704 - 04/23/08 12:59 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I freeze, but when you do you need to use the shrooms as powdered addition to a drink as it otherwise changes the texture and most people find it unpleasant.

Offlinewolfiexiii
Oddity
Male

Re: What's the pros / cons of storring mushrooms in freezer? [Re: Dick535]
    #8318707 - 04/23/08 01:00 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

No it does not destroy the active ingredients, in fact it can make your shrooms more potent by releasing more of the active ingredients from the cells, which you can absorb faster.

Offlinetheorganicdomino
Psychedelic ZenBuddhist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Here & Now
    #8318714 - 04/23/08 01:02 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Dick535 said:
I believe freezing them destroys the psilocybin.

Utterly incorrect! It preserves it - slows the process of it breaking down.

I've tripped really intensely off dried & powdered shrooms kept in the freezer for at least a year.

--------------------
"You've got to get hold of the thread of marching time, pull the fuck thing down, get on the end of it and pang yourself to the infinitude of absolute mind"
Ken Campbell - Furtive Nudist

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced" - Aart van der Leeuw

OfflineDick535
Stranger

Re: What's the pros / cons of storring mushrooms in freezer? [Re: theorganicdomino]
    #8318944 - 04/23/08 02:06 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Hmm I know it fucks up fresh shrooms though. Must be something to do with ice crystals forming then...

--------------------
"The poor [peyote using] Indian, on the other hand, has had the wit to protect his rear by supplementing the fig leaf of a theology with the breechclout of transcendental experience" - Aldous Huxley

Invisible04281969
Hobbyist
Male User Gallery

#8319198 - 04/23/08 03:04 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I don't think freezing destroys fresh psilocybin either. (Or psilocin.) But, I think it turns the mushrooms themselves into a black, slick, mushy, nastiness.

If you fan them dry and then put them into a small tupperware container with a DampRid bucket, they should last for a good year at least. They get so dry that you don't need a grinder to get it down to a powder, either.

But, after they are cracker-dry, I suppose you could put them into a canning jar and throw that into the freezer. If you need to sit on them for a decade or something.

OfflineNunbuh_Chrubble
I'm just a kittycat
Male User Gallery

Re: What's the pros / cons of storring mushrooms in freezer? [Re: 04281969]
    #8319241 - 04/23/08 03:14 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Freezing is a good idea. but you gotta go about it the right way.

First make sure they are cracker dry (follow above post).

Second, immediately put them in an air tight container like a sealed mason jar (you should have plenty of those around if you are growing). Cracker dry shrooms will absorb moisture from the air after a while, and this will prevent that.

Third. Freeze. Although it is unneccessary to freeze them, you can store like this in a cool dry place indefinitely, freezing probably helps. Freezing will prevent the destruction or degrading of the active chemicals in the fungus.

Do NOT freeze your fresh shrooms though... it's just gross unless you're trying to make a tea or some kind of extraction.

--------------------

"This day is a lover..."

~Rumi

OfflineNineStorms
The Dragon
Male

Loc: Existing between Heaven a...
Re: What's the pros / cons of storring mushrooms in freezer? [Re: Nunbuh_Chrubble]
    #8319512 - 04/23/08 04:15 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Hmm... this thread popped up at an appropriate time. I have a question myself. Is there any process which one should use when removing mushrooms from the freezer to consume? Should one wait several hours before eating them? Or just take them straight and cold? Probably doesn't matter that much, but I'd appreciate the info. Thanks.

OfflineNunbuh_Chrubble
I'm just a kittycat
Male User Gallery

Re: What's the pros / cons of storring mushrooms in freezer? [Re: NineStorms]
    #8319566 - 04/23/08 04:28 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

shouldn't really matter... you may want to let them thaw for a bit. But if they are dry this won't take very long or really matter at all. I'd imagine that chewing ice cold shrooms may be a little weird.

--------------------

"This day is a lover..."

~Rumi

Offlineraceandsmoke
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: What's the pros / cons of storing mushrooms in freezer? [Re: Nunbuh_Chrubble]
    #8320547 - 04/23/08 07:40 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

since were on the topic of drying say i had a ounce 100% dry, then bagged them and i left them sit for 2 months or so, and they became moist again( but no mold luckily). will this cause a potency loss. i ate 2 grams last night for the first time in a month and barley tripped.

OfflineNunbuh_Chrubble
I'm just a kittycat
Male User Gallery

Re: What's the pros / cons of storing mushrooms in freezer? [Re: raceandsmoke]
    #8320568 - 04/23/08 07:47 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

It may cause some loss in potency. What I'd really worry about is the musty taste that they develop when that happens.

You should really store your shrooms in air-tight containers like mason jars. At least for the long term

--------------------

"This day is a lover..."

~Rumi

Offlineraceandsmoke
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: What's the pros / cons of storing mushrooms in freezer? [Re: Nunbuh_Chrubble]
    #8320609 - 04/23/08 07:56 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

they still had that dry shroom taste, could i re dry them and vacum seal, or hurry and eat them all before they taste shity

Invisiblelavod
Seal Whisperer
 User Gallery

Loc: Over the rainbow
    #8320638 - 04/23/08 08:02 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Keep 'em dry and dark and they'll last a very long time before breaking down. My current stash is over 3 years old with no noted potency loss. Ye olde plastic bag, room temperature, dry, no light, kept in standard dried form(not powder).
93 93/93

--------------------

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Re: What's the pros / cons of storing mushrooms in freezer? [Re: lavod]
    #8320832 - 04/23/08 08:46 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

the risk of moisture in the freezer outweighs the benefits of the lower temp imo. Unless you can be absolutely sure that no air whatsoever will get in there, you'll get condensation which is a potency killer.

If you do freeze, be careful when you take the shrooms out of the freezer... when you open the container you'll get mad condensation, make sure you wait till the container warms all the way up and is completely dry before re-sealing and re-freezing.

Way easier and better to just throw em in a bag, suck out the excess air, throw the bag in a jar, put em in the back of your closet, bingo.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies