Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
anybody build their own pressure cooker
    #831985 - 08/21/02 03:25 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

anybody build one eg from a keg. i was wondering about just cutting the bottom off a standard pc and welding it onto the top of a keg with a hole in it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAlkaloids
3,4,5-trimethoxyphenethylamine
Male

Loc: pubis mons
Re: anybody build their own pressure cooker [Re: blackout]
    #832043 - 08/21/02 04:17 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

What would be the purpose of building your own pressure cooker when there are many cheap ones available? Just to have a larger one?
I would recommend against using the keg unless you are _very_ knowledgeable about high pressure containment systems and welding. But if you really want to do it go ahead, just make sure no one you like is around when you test it.
good luck (might need it)

--------------------

Offlinevader
journeyman
    #833685 - 08/21/02 02:37 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I am assuming you are looking for a monster size pressure cooker.

It would be great to be able to drop 20 bags in a big ole cooker and do em all at once.

Sounds like a great idea. I would not recommend using a keg though. I have seen them burst open when being thrown around (when full). 15psi is a tremendous amount of pressure. The bigger the vessel, the more pressure. I do not think anything besides a round piece of steel like used in a pipeline would work.

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: anybody build their own pressure cooker [Re: vader]
    #834629 - 08/21/02 09:11 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

actually 15psi is not very much relatively speaking. champagne is about 90psi. soda bottles are 150psi in the manufacturing process.

OfflineMacey Howard
Formally MOE HOWARD
Female

Loc: Georgia
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: blackout]
    #834918 - 08/22/02 03:06 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
Hugs and Kisses!

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: anybody build their own pressure cooker [Re: Macey Howard]
    #835032 - 08/22/02 04:10 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

3 words...

you will die...

thanks for the vote of confidence

if i did make one it would have several safety valves on it and would be housed in a large metal drum for extra safety. i know how dangerous they can be, pressure vessels are in my line of work. 15psi could be nasty if exploding but a welded metal keg would easily handle it, a thin walled glass bottle can handle it

Offlinefrancisco
Richman Sporeman
Loc: USA
    #835388 - 08/22/02 07:00 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I built one from a standard 55 gallon drum.I could cook 80 qt jars at once.I ran it at 10 psi with no trouble.At 12 psi the tops and bottoms would bulge.I am getting ready to build one from the industial grade 55 drums.It should hold 15 psi easy.

--------------------
Well...Maybe just a little.

Anonymous

#835461 - 08/22/02 07:48 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

InvisibleShaw

#835602 - 08/22/02 09:18 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

definatly add that latge metal drum. You can always use more shrapnel. You are planning on blowing up a federal building right?

--------------------

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: anybody build their own pressure cooker [Re: francisco]
    #837172 - 08/22/02 10:52 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

80 qt jars at once, that would be sweet. i am thinking of autoclave bags packed to the brim with rice for lots of sclerotia. how did you get the jars in. big hole and a gasket? did you do much welding? any safety valves? how was it heated?

InvisibleMrMaddHatter
Dementia praecox
 User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
    #837227 - 08/23/02 12:36 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

IMHO I would just invest into a large walk-in autoclave. They're expesive as hell, but they're built for that purpose, should last a long time, and no worrys about "is it gonna blow".
Just my 2 cents.

InvisibleZepplin
journeyman
 User Gallery

#837501 - 08/23/02 05:21 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Sounds like a recipe for a disaster!
But good luck all the same.

Edited by Zepplin (08/23/02 05:23 AM)

OfflineMacey Howard
Formally MOE HOWARD
Female

Loc: Georgia
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: Zepplin]
    #837523 - 08/23/02 05:37 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
Hugs and Kisses!

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: anybody build their own pressure cooker [Re: Macey Howard]
    #837574 - 08/23/02 06:04 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

You can build a large PC. But it is not really cost effective, as it requires shedule 40 or 80 large bore pipe, some heavy gauge flat steel, big bore drill press & the skill of a certified welder. Then the bastard weighs a lot.

The racoon fooled with the idea of using a large (about 50 gallon) high pressure air commpessor holding tank, that had an inspection plate bolted on one end. But, again heating that sucker & the BS involved in opening & closing it ended up to be a PITA.

Just buy an AA 941. It is big & built for bulk. Well worth the investment.

SixTango

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: anybody build their own pressure cooker [Re: ]
    #837583 - 08/23/02 06:11 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Encouraging a bit of Darwinism, Mr. Mush?

Depending on how it blows, even 2-3 PSI can do bodily damage. My dad was telling me about a guy on his ship who broke his ulna opening a pressure cooker before it had cooled. . .according to the guy, the gauge was under 5 PSI.

The nice thing about PC's is that they will tend to blow in one direction [up, possibly down if the bottom has worn away]. Couldn't the drums explode side-to-side as well?

Best of luck, would love to see pics of that setup.

Anonymous

Re: anybody build their own pressure cooker [Re: Suntzu]
    #838001 - 08/23/02 09:28 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Invisibleshroomophile
ShroomitusFidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #838447 - 08/23/02 01:59 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Scaredy Cats.

--------------------
Once the mighty oak,was a nut who held his ground.

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
    #838781 - 08/23/02 04:43 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

TODAY IS NOT A GOOD DAY TO DIE! ! ! ! ! ! !

i have a poster on my wall to remind me of this whilst tripping above level 3.

are you tripping?

kegs are designed for holding the pressure of CO2 disolved in beer. this is a whole nuther world from the world of pressurised steam!

15psi steam is sufficient to rip a keg open and make it relativly flat like a sheet of paper. same goes for old water heaters, barrels, schedule 40 pipe etc. yes i once presurised an old water heater to 15 psi and yes it compleatly flattened it, and yes it's a miracle that i am able to tell you about it.

steam represents stored energy. in a pressure cooker, there is licuid water that would turn to vapor if only the currant vapor wasn't pushing down on it. when you release the pressure, the remaining water begins to vaporise and make up the differance. in a ruptured vessel, this all happens at once and the resulting explosion could easily level the average home.

pressure cookers are designed by engineers with numerous safety features, i'm not just talking about the relief valve on the lid. as mentioned, above, they are designed to explode in one direction, in the hopes that you are not standing over it.

15 psi is a great deal of pressure when it is steam!

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: anybody build their own pressure cooker [Re: tchyted]
    #838932 - 08/23/02 05:57 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

After the Raccoon tinkered with the idea of building a large PC, he came to the realization that it would belike building your own submarine. Odds are ... your going to drown in it. So that put and end to that. Shapnel at high speed is not a nice thing -- either. SixTango

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #839229 - 08/23/02 07:54 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

it would be safe as long as you knew the minimum pressure required to compromise the container and had an emergency valve that was forced open automaticly if the pressure got too high. as far as the strength of glass - i once blew my still at about 17 psi. and it forced shards of glass through my closet door and into my bed.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Edited by concretefeet (08/23/02 07:54 PM)

Anonymous

#839602 - 08/24/02 12:40 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

InvisibleTripsAreForKids
addict

Loc: Not In The US
    #840082 - 08/24/02 07:55 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

lol

--------------------
Everything posted above was out of fun, none should be taken serious. I am currently under the influence so take that into consideration.

OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
Re: anybody build their own pressure cooker [Re: SixTango]
    #840263 - 08/24/02 09:35 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Indeed!
even a standard PC is like having a bomb in your kitchen, so care must be taken.

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: anybody build their own pressure cooker [Re: canid]
    #843206 - 08/25/02 11:01 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

"it would be safe as long as you knew the minimum pressure required to compromise the container and had an emergency valve that was forced open automaticly if the pressure got too high."
i have two of these and a pressure guage. the valves can be adjusted to what ever pressure i want.

"as far as the strength of glass - i once blew my still at about 17 psi."
glass is quite strong. look at any pressure boiler in a cafe and it will have a glass tube so you can see the water level. what it your still like anyway? how did it build up pressure?

as for Mr Mushrooms, thanks for the support (i think...) i might video it and send it into jackass

Offlineindianfarmer
man with cane

Loc: Lost in the dark,Missouri
    #845525 - 08/26/02 09:57 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I'm so glad you mentioned this. I have thought many hours about making my own huge pressure cooker. Heres my idea. Feel free to comment on it. Now 15 psi is dangerous no doubt about it. But thats where the over pressure plug comes in. To prevent your cooker from turning into a potential bomb. The design would probably be one of those pressure cookers with a metal to metal screw on seal. I would use pre exsisting parts off a real pressure cooker to go into the lid: overpressure plug, pressure regulator/vent pipe, air vent/cover lock, pressure gauge, etc. you would probably need an old pressure cooker to get all the parts. I have a presto 17 quart pressure cooker I could use parts. Something like a 55 gallon metal drum could be used make it. that's about it maybe some welding involved. its a crazy dream of mine.

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: anybody build their own pressure cooker [Re: indianfarmer]
    #845593 - 08/27/02 12:27 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

tchyted: 15psi is 15psi steam or not. the only difference is heat changing the properties of the container. so a coke bottle wont hold steam under pressure since the plastic suffers from stress and strain. metal doesnt change anywhere near as much as plastic when subjected to heats as low as 120C. i have seen catering pressure boilers subjected to 100psi of air when undergoing testing. the lid only flexed slightly on them (4mm thick steel radius about 400m).

francisco: any pics or extra info, technical difficulties?

Suntzu: "The nice thing about PC's is that they will tend to blow in one direction [up, possibly down if the bottom has worn away]. Couldn't the drums explode side-to-side as well?" you can build into the pc which will blow first. mine would be the pressure valves. ask yourself why a pc would blow up. answer is usually clogged up valves this is due to overcrowding in the pc, there are lots of ways to avoid this. do you guys really think a steel keg will be torn apart before a little rubber air eliminator (which can be puched out by your finger) is forced out.

BTW steam cleaners which can be bought in supermarkets can get up to 1500 psi, yes, 1500psi

indianfarmer: welding onto something thin walled may be a problem a keg is about 1.4mm thick maybe you can get a thick walled metal drum. i wouldnt recommend making one if you have no background in the subject. im considering a lid clamped down to the lid now. francisco said he built one but hasnt been back since... maybe it blew

Anonymous

#846549 - 08/27/02 09:34 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Offlinegoldtop
Wild Spore

Loc: Sydney, Australia
    #848149 - 08/27/02 09:36 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Just buy a cheap pressure cooker from eBay.

In Australia, I've seen them for going for $10 for a small one, and $20 for the muther of all pressure cookers.

--------------------
"I want it all, I want it all, I want it all, and I want it NOW!" - Queen

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
    #849160 - 08/28/02 11:42 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

TODAY IS STILL NOT A GOOD DAY TO DIE, neither is tommorrow.

i beg to differ about the properties of steam and pressurised air. please believe me i have an idea of what the fuck i am talking about here. why do you think they tested the pressure cooker with pressurised air?

it's because it's not nearly as dangerous.

when air pressure is released from a sealed container, only the energy of the air is released. when pressure of steam over licuid water is released, the water immidiatly boils to make up the pressure until the energy is gone.

if you remove the release weight off of a working pressure cooker, even with the burner turned off, it takes a considerable time to vent the energy. the more water you have in the pc, the longer it takes to vent. jars filled with moist stuff count as some water.

steam cleaners are engineered to withstand the pressure. small diameter pipe has a very high burst rate compared to a large diameter of the same wall thickness. steam cleaners usually have little or no licuid water in the heat exchanger, so there is little stored energy. the small diameter tubing in a steam cleaner acts to slow the release of pressure in the event of a rupture.

go to any store that sells plumbing supplies. on the side of valves there is often stamped into the side a number like 125 or 150 followed by the letters "W O G", which stands for water oil or gas. some higher priced valves will also have a steam rating stamped on them though most are NOT rated for steam at ANY pressure. usually the steam pressure rating of a valve is a small fraction of the W O G rating.

if any of you had the necessary engineering skills to build a pressure cooker, you would not be asking anyone about doing it.

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #850229 - 08/28/02 09:30 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

"why do you think they tested the pressure cooker with pressurised air?
it's because it's not nearly as dangerous." true, in case it does blow, but also because it is easier to. and because for insurance reasons it is considered equivalent to steam.

steam cleaners are engineered to withstand the pressure. yep i know how they are designed i was only pointing out the fact that pressure in these is huge and they can handle it yet some posters think 1.5mm thick steel will be ripped apart at 15psi.

as for steam approved valves. they usually cost more since the expensive polymer seals within should not deform when subjected to high temperatures. all the safety valves i have are designed for steam.

"if any of you had the necessary engineering skills to build a pressure cooker, you would not be asking anyone about doing it."

i was asking if anybody had done it to find out what problems they encountered or if they had any tips. one psoter did make one from a barrel which sounded less safe than using a keg designed to withsstand presssure

InvisibleShaw

#853315 - 08/30/02 12:20 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

that's a pretty old dog. Mine are about 3 months old and still biting eachother.

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #853515 - 08/30/02 02:49 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

>BTW steam cleaners which can be bought in supermarkets can get up to 1500 psi, yes, 1500psi

Those are not steam cleaners, they are high pressure washers.

Steam cleaners operate at an pressure of around 60 PSI.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom