Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: anybody build their own pressure cooker [Re: tchyted]
    #839602 - 08/24/02 12:40 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTripsAreForKids
addict

Loc: Not In The US
Re: anybody build their own pressure cooker [Re: ]
    #840082 - 08/24/02 07:55 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

lol

--------------------
Everything posted above was out of fun, none should be taken serious. I am currently under the influence so take that into consideration.

OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
Re: anybody build their own pressure cooker [Re: SixTango]
    #840263 - 08/24/02 09:35 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Indeed!
even a standard PC is like having a bomb in your kitchen, so care must be taken.

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: anybody build their own pressure cooker [Re: canid]
    #843206 - 08/25/02 11:01 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

"it would be safe as long as you knew the minimum pressure required to compromise the container and had an emergency valve that was forced open automaticly if the pressure got too high."
i have two of these and a pressure guage. the valves can be adjusted to what ever pressure i want.

"as far as the strength of glass - i once blew my still at about 17 psi."
glass is quite strong. look at any pressure boiler in a cafe and it will have a glass tube so you can see the water level. what it your still like anyway? how did it build up pressure?

as for Mr Mushrooms, thanks for the support (i think...) i might video it and send it into jackass

Offlineindianfarmer
man with cane

Loc: Lost in the dark,Missouri
Re: anybody build their own pressure cooker [Re: blackout]
    #845525 - 08/26/02 09:57 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I'm so glad you mentioned this. I have thought many hours about making my own huge pressure cooker. Heres my idea. Feel free to comment on it. Now 15 psi is dangerous no doubt about it. But thats where the over pressure plug comes in. To prevent your cooker from turning into a potential bomb. The design would probably be one of those pressure cookers with a metal to metal screw on seal. I would use pre exsisting parts off a real pressure cooker to go into the lid: overpressure plug, pressure regulator/vent pipe, air vent/cover lock, pressure gauge, etc. you would probably need an old pressure cooker to get all the parts. I have a presto 17 quart pressure cooker I could use parts. Something like a 55 gallon metal drum could be used make it. that's about it maybe some welding involved. its a crazy dream of mine.

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: anybody build their own pressure cooker [Re: indianfarmer]
    #845593 - 08/27/02 12:27 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

tchyted: 15psi is 15psi steam or not. the only difference is heat changing the properties of the container. so a coke bottle wont hold steam under pressure since the plastic suffers from stress and strain. metal doesnt change anywhere near as much as plastic when subjected to heats as low as 120C. i have seen catering pressure boilers subjected to 100psi of air when undergoing testing. the lid only flexed slightly on them (4mm thick steel radius about 400m).

francisco: any pics or extra info, technical difficulties?

Suntzu: "The nice thing about PC's is that they will tend to blow in one direction [up, possibly down if the bottom has worn away]. Couldn't the drums explode side-to-side as well?" you can build into the pc which will blow first. mine would be the pressure valves. ask yourself why a pc would blow up. answer is usually clogged up valves this is due to overcrowding in the pc, there are lots of ways to avoid this. do you guys really think a steel keg will be torn apart before a little rubber air eliminator (which can be puched out by your finger) is forced out.

BTW steam cleaners which can be bought in supermarkets can get up to 1500 psi, yes, 1500psi

indianfarmer: welding onto something thin walled may be a problem a keg is about 1.4mm thick maybe you can get a thick walled metal drum. i wouldnt recommend making one if you have no background in the subject. im considering a lid clamped down to the lid now. francisco said he built one but hasnt been back since... maybe it blew

Anonymous

#846549 - 08/27/02 09:34 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Offlinegoldtop
Wild Spore

Loc: Sydney, Australia
    #848149 - 08/27/02 09:36 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Just buy a cheap pressure cooker from eBay.

In Australia, I've seen them for going for $10 for a small one, and $20 for the muther of all pressure cookers.

--------------------
"I want it all, I want it all, I want it all, and I want it NOW!" - Queen

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
    #849160 - 08/28/02 11:42 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

TODAY IS STILL NOT A GOOD DAY TO DIE, neither is tommorrow.

i beg to differ about the properties of steam and pressurised air. please believe me i have an idea of what the fuck i am talking about here. why do you think they tested the pressure cooker with pressurised air?

it's because it's not nearly as dangerous.

when air pressure is released from a sealed container, only the energy of the air is released. when pressure of steam over licuid water is released, the water immidiatly boils to make up the pressure until the energy is gone.

if you remove the release weight off of a working pressure cooker, even with the burner turned off, it takes a considerable time to vent the energy. the more water you have in the pc, the longer it takes to vent. jars filled with moist stuff count as some water.

steam cleaners are engineered to withstand the pressure. small diameter pipe has a very high burst rate compared to a large diameter of the same wall thickness. steam cleaners usually have little or no licuid water in the heat exchanger, so there is little stored energy. the small diameter tubing in a steam cleaner acts to slow the release of pressure in the event of a rupture.

go to any store that sells plumbing supplies. on the side of valves there is often stamped into the side a number like 125 or 150 followed by the letters "W O G", which stands for water oil or gas. some higher priced valves will also have a steam rating stamped on them though most are NOT rated for steam at ANY pressure. usually the steam pressure rating of a valve is a small fraction of the W O G rating.

if any of you had the necessary engineering skills to build a pressure cooker, you would not be asking anyone about doing it.

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: anybody build their own pressure cooker [Re: tchyted]
    #850229 - 08/28/02 09:30 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

"why do you think they tested the pressure cooker with pressurised air?
it's because it's not nearly as dangerous." true, in case it does blow, but also because it is easier to. and because for insurance reasons it is considered equivalent to steam.

steam cleaners are engineered to withstand the pressure. yep i know how they are designed i was only pointing out the fact that pressure in these is huge and they can handle it yet some posters think 1.5mm thick steel will be ripped apart at 15psi.

as for steam approved valves. they usually cost more since the expensive polymer seals within should not deform when subjected to high temperatures. all the safety valves i have are designed for steam.

"if any of you had the necessary engineering skills to build a pressure cooker, you would not be asking anyone about doing it."

i was asking if anybody had done it to find out what problems they encountered or if they had any tips. one psoter did make one from a barrel which sounded less safe than using a keg designed to withsstand presssure

InvisibleShaw

Re: anybody build their own pressure cooker [Re: ]
    #853315 - 08/30/02 12:20 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

that's a pretty old dog. Mine are about 3 months old and still biting eachother.

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #853515 - 08/30/02 02:49 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

>BTW steam cleaners which can be bought in supermarkets can get up to 1500 psi, yes, 1500psi

Those are not steam cleaners, they are high pressure washers.

Steam cleaners operate at an pressure of around 60 PSI.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale