Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegjm6syn6
Stranger

fruit bodies and humidity
    #8316018 - 04/22/08 07:56 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Do the fruit bodies themselves require high humidity, as in, could you only humidify the myc and produce the same results?

-gjm6syn6

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePooter
Shroom Mongler
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: With waldo.
Re: fruit bodies and humidity [Re: gjm6syn6]
    #8316969 - 04/22/08 11:27 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

If the fruit bodies don't get enough humidity, they will become dehydrated and shrivel. What are you thinking about doing?

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: fruit bodies and humidity [Re: Pooter]
    #8317520 - 04/23/08 02:36 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I think I read somewhere that the fruiting bodies can only absorb water from the air, ie, they lack a root system like plants.

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

Offlinenerotheavenger
turd that won'tflush
Re: fruit bodies and humidity [Re: zouden]
    #8317806 - 04/23/08 06:41 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

if your room humidity is too low the myc won't fruit properly. i.e. short stunted or deformed fruits. too high room humidity and you have a myc explosion.

the fruit bodies will draw water from the air and the substrate, that is why ppl dunk their cakes or add resevoirs to their cakes and that is part of the reason your substrate shrinks after each flush.

--------------------
Compulsive liar and fiction writer. Please treat all posts as hearsay and do not construe posts as truthful or construe the poster as having any firsthand knowledge of actual persons, events, or actions.

InvisibleSterben
Female User Gallery

Loc: Netherlands
Re: fruit bodies and humidity [Re: nerotheavenger]
    #8317828 - 04/23/08 07:00 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

So if you have to high of humidity it could destroy your cakes?

--------------------
:alert: All posts by Sterben should be considered fictional and are for entertainment use only.
Anyone reading these posts should consider them all fictional.
:alert:

:awesketch: :awetongue: Trade List :tardpig: :datass:

Offlinenerotheavenger
turd that won'tflush
Re: fruit bodies and humidity [Re: Sterben]
    #8317833 - 04/23/08 07:04 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

destroy? no. when i say myc explosion i don't mean your cakes will pop. i mean that the mycelium will fluff and fluff and fluff and cover any pins.

--------------------
Compulsive liar and fiction writer. Please treat all posts as hearsay and do not construe posts as truthful or construe the poster as having any firsthand knowledge of actual persons, events, or actions.

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

#8317891 - 04/23/08 07:57 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

But too high humidity can destroy your cakes. It happened to me on my first grow. They went limp and fuzzy and I thought they were dehydrated so I kept spraying them but that just made them worse. Later I read about the symptoms of too-high RH and they matched what I saw.

--------------------

Offlinenerotheavenger
turd that won'tflush
    #8317911 - 04/23/08 08:09 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

letting water pool on your cakes will do that.

RH is different than spraying your cakes. spray over your cakes to increase RH. spray your cakes directly and you will harm them. too high RH can be corrected before you destroy your grow.

get yourself a decent hygrometer. next time that happens open your FC a crack and increase FAE which will, in turn, increase evaporation and lower RH.

i'm disinclined to believe that you did not notice water droplets on your cakes and somewhat amazed that if you did notice water standing on your cakes that you kept directly misting them.

c'est la vie. live and learn, right?

--------------------

Offlinenerotheavenger
turd that won'tflush
Re: fruit bodies and humidity [Re: gjm6syn6]
    #8317914 - 04/23/08 08:11 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

gjm6syn6 said:
Do the fruit bodies themselves require high humidity, as in, could you only humidify the myc and produce the same results?

-gjm6syn6

don't directly mist your mycelium.

--------------------

Offlineamanitavirosa
absurdlyoptimistic
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cold places
    #8317919 - 04/23/08 08:16 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Those who have chronic humidity issues should seriously consider adapting an ultrasonic humidifier to their grow.

As an example, those "bubbling cauldrons" or "misty lights" that you see at trinket stores have a little ultrasonic disc that generates water vapor. This is a perfect low-key solution. I'll post my setup this afternoon (if I remember) to highlight what I am saying.

--------------------
-AV-

Offlinenerotheavenger
turd that won'tflush
Re: fruit bodies and humidity [Re: amanitavirosa]
    #8317946 - 04/23/08 08:27 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

amanitavirosa said:
Those who have chronic humidity issues should seriously consider adapting an ultrasonic humidifier to their grow.

doesn't matter if you can't measure your RH accurately.

--------------------

Offlineamanitavirosa
absurdlyoptimistic
Male User Gallery

#8317950 - 04/23/08 08:30 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

nerotheavenger said:
doesn't matter if you can't measure your RH accurately.

Yes it does.

Low RH is still low RH regardless of whether you can measure it accurately or not. I never bother to use a hygrometer unless I am really worried that my RH is low (due to other evidence) which is extremely rare.

--------------------
-AV-

Offlinenerotheavenger
turd that won'tflush
    #8317969 - 04/23/08 08:37 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

if a noob does not know what proper humidity looks like and they follow your advice and add a humidifier they are not going to magically get proper humidity without a way to measure how much humidity they are putting into their FC (which is to say how long does the humidifier have to run to raise the humidity 15%?) without oversaturating everything.

--------------------

Offlineamanitavirosa
absurdlyoptimistic
Male User Gallery

#8317978 - 04/23/08 08:42 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

They can do a little reading to determine the signs of a properly humidified fruiting chamber.

Hell, if they know that their FC is too low in RH then they probably know enough not to saturate their grow :smirk:. Give people -some- credit!

--------------------
-AV-

Offlinenerotheavenger
turd that won'tflush
    #8317986 - 04/23/08 08:47 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

can't do it.

from zouden on this very thread: ... I thought they were dehydrated so I kept spraying them but that just made them worse. Later I read about the symptoms of too-high RH and they matched what I saw.

--------------------

Invisibleshroober
Myco Junkie

#8318046 - 04/23/08 09:11 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

zouden said:
I think I read somewhere that the fruiting bodies can only absorb water from the air, ie, they lack a root system like plants.

not true, the mycelium is the root system, havent you ever picked a mushroom to find a root like structure coming up with it? that is mycelium

fruits get their moisture from both the substrate and the surrounding air. it is important to keep the fruits in high humidity to attain the best possible results

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: fruit bodies and humidity [Re: shroober]
    #8318113 - 04/23/08 09:48 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

But too high humidity can destroy your cakes.

Wrong.

The disinformation in this thread is amazing. There is no such thing as "too much humidity" as mushrooms absolutely thrive in 100% humidity.

Get your humidity as high as you can, and provide plenty of fresh air exchange. Get an analog hygrometer and properly calibrate it per hundreds of posts I've already made explaining how. Mist daily, and don't listen to those who would say not to mist the cake. Good luck.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineBrainSalad
Stranger
Re: fruit bodies and humidity [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8318604 - 04/23/08 12:29 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

But too high humidity can destroy your cakes.

Wrong.

The disinformation in this thread is amazing. There is no such thing as "too much humidity" as mushrooms absolutely thrive in 100% humidity.

Get your humidity as high as you can, and provide plenty of fresh air exchange. Get an analog hygrometer and properly calibrate it per hundreds of posts I've already made explaining how. Mist daily, and don't listen to those who would say not to mist the cake. Good luck.
RR

Cool, thanks for this post. I was a little worried when my hygrometer read HI% (>98%, yeah it's a crappy digital) that I might do some harm, but as long as high humidity is not harmful I'm happy. I'm using perlite + water (which I add h2o2 to every few days so nothing nasty pops up down there) under two trays in a bin-type fruiting chamber.

My first cultivation is under way and they're coming along nicely, but I was a bit paranoid about trying to get the humidity/environmental parameters down properly.

I've been fanning 3-4 times a day maybe, is that adequate? I have seen a wide range of posts on here from people that fan a ton to those that don't except a few times.

Anyway, thanks for the information!

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Re: fruit bodies and humidity [Re: BrainSalad]
    #8319634 - 04/23/08 04:47 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

When I said that I lost a cake to too-high humidity, it was because I was misting it directly. I think Tahoe told me it was a good idea? Now I don't think it is...

Re: mycelia being roots, that's what I thought too, but after reading otherwise on this forum I got the idea that maybe the 'roots' are simply to provide support, and to draw up nutrients perhaps, but otherwise the water comes from the atmosphere. I don't really know what to believe now.

--------------------

OfflineLennyk
D-O-L-E Dole
Male

Loc: Near the Ground
    #8319764 - 04/23/08 05:13 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

I think i read this yesterday, that if you don't see water droplets on the side of your chamber, than it could be one indication that the RH is not high enough. My chamber doesn't have rolling droplets, but the sides are completely covered in moisture if i touch it.

Also to help prevent droplets you can always use some Vaseline on the top, that's what i tried (read it on the forums) and it works very well.

--------------------
Stealth Lighting 
Cubensis benefits beyond cluster headaches
Mush Extract! (You can even use Vinegar!)
Flame your needle in style with a sexy mini butane torch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What happens in the Romper Room, stays in the Romper Room.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts are written by the sex deprived helper monkey Curious George.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates