Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerev 766
gum flappin' scallywag
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: $tate of Inebriation, Pat...
potency difference/WBS question
    #8297993 - 04/17/08 08:14 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

i read the post about growing z-strain on minute rice and how the fruits werent very potent, due to low nutrient content. while i realize most of you favor poo (that rhymes!!), besides that is there any noticeable difference in potency between common substrates from anyones experience? particularly using WBS as substrate. i have heard much about WBS being less than optimum, but for a beginner, will WBS at least yield more than BRF cakes and be as potent?

--------------------
praise "Bob"
did you mean shmooed-R.I.P.

"drought besets the mind, decay besets the man"-me

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDJYoshaBYD
Male

Re: potency difference/WBS question [Re: rev 766]
    #8298025 - 04/17/08 08:20 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

nope.. that will not cause low potency.. bad strain.. isolate a strain.. read into it a lil bit more, and you will find that when you are not using spores for everything, you will get more consistent results...

I have grown on alot of different substrates, and they all can be potent... from what I understand, its almost completely related to sub-strain

Offlinerev 766
gum flappin' scallywag
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: potency difference/WBS question [Re: DJYoshaBYD]
    #8298057 - 04/17/08 08:25 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

yeah, i read up on cloning, and after my friend gets his first flush i will instruct him on the process. finals are ending around the time fruiting should occur, so there should be plenty of opportunity to isolate a big and strong strain. it's good to know about the WBS working ok. thanks

--------------------
praise "Bob"

Invisiblegrymmtymm
lostinthought
 User Gallery

Loc: inside your head
    #8298129 - 04/17/08 08:35 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

there is a book i read once, titled pyschedelic monographs and essays vol. 6 wherein one of the chapters the author states that he conducted experiments himself, with chromotography to back it up, that adding dextrose to your grain jars would definitely add potency. he states 1 g per pint jar.

i am trying this myself right now but am only using 1 g per quart jar of rye grain. right off the bat i have noticed that the added dextrose will increase chance of contam, because i have never had a bad jar of grain in the past year of growing until i added dextrose to them. i used dextrose from a brew shop (malto-dextrin).

--------------------
If you always do what you always did you always get what you always got.

Offlinerev 766
gum flappin' scallywag
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: potency difference/WBS question [Re: grymmtymm]
    #8298150 - 04/17/08 08:40 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

that seems odd :confused:. i don't seem to understand contamination potential. from what i have seen when everything is done right, and in a glovebox or whatever, the risk seems slim. yet i continually read reports of experienced growers getting the occasional contam. did all of the jars get contaminated?

--------------------
praise "Bob"

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#8299669 - 04/18/08 02:58 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

It is inevitable to get some contamination at least every now and than regardless of experience or how careful,its just part of the game,chock it up as a loss and make up some more

O and to keep the thread actually on topic potency is related it genetics more than substrate,different substrates may give you more or bigger mushrooms than others but that doesn't mean they will be any more potent

Offlinerev 766
gum flappin' scallywag
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: potency difference/WBS question [Re: Blutjager]
    #8300379 - 04/18/08 10:17 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

well, the thing that made me think about it was this report. thinking about it though, if a substrate is pretty widely used it must do something right. i have just been hearing alot about WBS being crappy as a stand-alone substrate for casing. i suppose anything would be if compared to yield from going bulk. can't see poo in the near future, though. my friend has a small apartment and very clean girlfriend.

--------------------
praise "Bob"

Offlinerev 766
gum flappin' scallywag
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8300388 - 04/18/08 10:21 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

one other thing related to my concern, not necessarily to the potency question, is will WBS at least yield more than cakes or cased cakes? i know it's subjective and depends on many factors, but i mean on average is it worth even messing with if those are your two options?

--------------------
praise "Bob"

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#8300465 - 04/18/08 10:39 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

As a stand alone substrate bird seed is not a great choice due to its inability to hold enough moisture to support growth,spawn it to bulk and that is all you will ever want to do again and you will be mad that you ever did anything else before,Don't worry about finding poo,you don't need it,you can use straw or coir.I myself could have a yard full of poo and still be driving to the store for coir,coir is my favorite by far,its cheap,its cleaner and less messy,its easy,its easy to get and most importantly it works :thumbup:

Go to the pet store and clean every brick off of the shelf,than go back again the next day and do it again after they restock it,you will be glad you did

Invisiblegrymmtymm
lostinthought
 User Gallery

Loc: inside your head
    #8301680 - 04/18/08 04:48 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

no, oddly enough only one, and that was the first and only rye jar in the past year i have had contam. and i did use a glovebox.

--------------------
If you always do what you always did you always get what you always got.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates