Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinemirrorsaw
journeyman
Re: Merging science and spirituality.. [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #817281 - 08/14/02 09:12 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

...when they probably know very little about the technology

I know very little about the best ways to poison soneone, am I allowed an opinion on the ethics of doing it?

Don't forget that humans and all our technology are products of nature too

Good point, but we could still fuck ourselves with our own 'natural' technology.

I think that with genetic modification of human DNA, in a way we would have put ourselves outside if time.

It could still be seen as a 'natural' evolution, but it would be one hell of a Paradigm-Shift.

Would we still be human?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: Merging science and spirituality.. [Re: BrainNirvana]
    #817582 - 08/15/02 09:31 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

It's feels as though we relay on technology more then we do nature.

It may feel that way, but until technology can recreate the Earth's environment without direct help from nature, we are fundamentally relying on nature more than we are on technology. I'm not sure how the bio-dome experiments have gone so if we are able to re-create a living environment without the help of nature, please correct me.

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

OfflineTraveller
enthusiast
Re: Merging science and spirituality.. [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #818948 - 08/15/02 09:44 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

i'm glad we cleared up that little thing. too often i hear friends say things like "science is flawed", when really science - or the sciences - are very useful tools, beautiful in their own right. science is not flawed, scientists are flawed. i get quite upset sometimes when people start talking about science as being somehow bad, so apologies if i've been mean to anyone along the way and to anyone i'm mean to over this in the future as i'm sure i will be.

cyberchump i'm with you here! there is a whole lot of crazy shit happening and about to happen if we can stick around long enough to see it. i was recently at a festival organised as a protest, trying to get a nuclear power plant shut down (in hamaoka japan, near mt fuji, very near Tokyo, and also on a major fault line where a very serious earthquake is predicted to occur in 2004). a lot of the people giving speeches were saying things like nuclear power was not meant for humans to use...we don't need nucler power...no nukes...etc. bollocks! some fear for atomic energy but none of them can stop the times. nuclear power could be the clean energy of the future. genetic engineering could produce super strong intelligent super peaceful super loving compassionate super "humans". ramble ramble.

Invisibletak_old
Endo Smoke

Loc: State of confusion
Re: Merging science and spirituality.. [Re: Traveller]
    #820953 - 08/16/02 12:48 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

(R)evolution

InvisibleJared
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Merging science and spirituality.. [Re: ]
    #823575 - 08/17/02 12:14 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Medical science is going to be the downfall of mankind. This "every life is precious" attitude that we have has caused total stagnation of the human gene pool.. not only are we not improving our genetics, we're weakening them with each succesive generation. We don't even let our bodies fight illness anymore, we ensure that everyone survives them and doesn't have to fight them. We make it our mission to find ways to keep our bodies from having to deal with illnesses. Cancer is good.. if everyone who got cancer just died, then eventually the only people left would be those whose cells were strong against bad mutation and so the genetics of mankind would become stronger. But no. We have to go and fuck everything up... I've totaly forgotten the topic of this thread.. crap.

OfflineTraveller
enthusiast
Re: Merging science and spirituality.. [Re: Jared]
    #824317 - 08/17/02 05:35 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

western medical science is finally catching on to the chinese, indian and other "alternative" forms of medicine. this could very well be the deciding factor in changing global human civilisation since these forms of medicine deal with the entire human energy system - "mind, body, spirit" - and it's relationship with the environment. if you've ever been treated by a truly skillful acupuncturist (someone who's learned what i generally call "the real shit", as opposed to "all the other shit") you will understand what i'm talking about. if this knowledge and these various ancient systems are studied extensively using modern methods - as they are and surely will be even more in the future - we could go a long way towards peaceful consciousness-expanding societies through HEALING.

InvisiblePynchon
Slow Learner

Loc: New Zealand
Re: Merging science and spirituality.. [Re: Jared]
    #824893 - 08/18/02 04:09 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Jared,

Bullshit.

The gene pool is not weakened by medical science. If we can effectively treat an illness, then having a prediliction toward developing it becomes irrelevant.

Even where an illness can't be cured, it can still be worthwhile treating: a century ago, Stephen Hawking wouldn't have lived to see his balls drop. I don't know if he has kids or not, but it seems to me that his genetic "value" (ie his intelligence) is of greater benefit to mankind than his illness is a detriment.

Allowing people to die *unneccesarily* is worse than inhumane, it's stupid.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Merging science and spirituality.. [Re: Pynchon]
    #825737 - 08/18/02 01:16 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

The locus of selection shifted for humans once we gained the ability to think abstractly. Selection now works primarily on memes rather than only on genes (our genes are still selected upon, but much less).

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #826668 - 08/18/02 06:33 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Not too sure about chinese medicine. It's thanks to those bastards that there is still a demand for parts of rare and endangered animals to help in their "medicine"

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineTraveller
enthusiast
Re: Merging science and spirituality.. [Re: Xlea321]
    #826753 - 08/18/02 07:27 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

quack homeopathy is not chinese medicine. chinese medicine is a lot more than grinding up rhinocerous horns to make your dick hard.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #826758 - 08/18/02 07:31 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Please post a link where I can order some rhinocerous horn.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Anonymous

#826913 - 08/18/02 09:36 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah... what I'm talking about is say for example you have most new age belief of the chakra system and how they effect one spiritually as well as physically.. and say you also thought that aside from the 7 chakras most literature focuses on, there are also many other smaller ones all over the body. Then you have the ancient chinese art of accupuncture... which is basically inserting pins in these little pockets of energy in the body, which they call qi channels, or cavities.. and twisting them to stimulate the nerves and muscles in such a way that it effects parts of the body. This is basically a physical stimulation of a 'chakra'..or pocket of energy... while also taking into consideration the mental and spiritual aspects of the healing process.

And herbs that have a 'signature' dna code which react to the human body in unique ways oftentimes with healing properties. These effect not only the physical body but also have an effect on the spirit. If we were able to understand the effects of something in both the spiritual and material world, I think it would lead to more efficient and advanced levels of science and technology.

Like taking into consideration the planet which sustains us. Why does the oil industry continue pumping their earth unfriendly product to the masses when there are much less harmful and more efficient ways of producing power? Money, of course... But let's not get into that...

I'm talking about a magical place where technology is created that flows in harmony with nature, rather than against it. Where great medical advances are made because of a deeper look at the spiritual and how it effects the physical. A place where all the people are citizens of the planet, rather than belonging to a controlling dichotomy. Where all citizens of the Earth are provided for, elitist a word of the past. Science has made such great advances that we are now able to travel the universe readily. Cancer, viruses, sickness? We control our health through psychic senses. It's scientific fact.

Of course this world will never exist and is just my little fantasy land.

What of it?

taiji

Edited by Shroomism (08/18/02 09:50 PM)

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Merging science and spirituality.. [Re: ]
    #827336 - 08/19/02 04:34 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Nice post shroomism.

I think the problem is people expect to be able to apply concepts like this while living in a society that offers no support for such things. If we had years to spend thinking and concentrating in a quite peaceful place I'm sure we could all improve our health. But trying to apply such ideas while living in a society where you are forced to spend the vast majority of your life chasing money, not getting enough sleep, not having enough time to eat well etc isn't going to work.

It's like the buddhist monk who spent 20 years in a cave meditating and was considered the most enlightened person in India. Then his disciples took him to a busy town and the first person that bumped into him made the master erupt in rage. Being enlightened alone in a peaceful cave is a lot different to being enlightened in a city. You need lots of support in society for these ideas to come to fruition.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: Merging science and spirituality.. [Re: Xlea321]
    #829165 - 08/19/02 08:09 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Just to let you all know that we are natural creatures of earth. What we do is in some way still part of nature. I think it started with a break in the equilibrium of the species.

Think of it being like a list of randomized single-digit numbers going on for pages and pages- wouldn't there be a few of the same numbers in a row eventually? Nature isn't always equalized- but eventually things cycle and start things over again before things get too unbalanced.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order