Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8  [ show all ]
OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

Re: Obama To Rural Pennsylvanians: Vote For Me, You Corncob-Smokin', Banjo-Strokin' Chicken-Chokin' [Re: johnm214]
    #8289488 - 04/16/08 12:56 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

johnm214 said:
Quote:

Mushmonkey said:
Quote:

Yossarian22 said:
Or, alternatively: the only people who took offense were the people who didn't like Obama to begin with and who were looking for an excuse to bash him. By the way, he didn't denigrate anyone in his comments, so stop referring to them as "he people he was denigrating".

..  except he did, and that's how it's being interpreted so even if he didn't, he did.

Tell me, did or did not someone get fired for saying the word "Niggardly" in front of a black man?  Is that word denigrating?  No?  But it was TAKEN to be insulting, and there were consequences.
What you say is less important than how others interpret what you say.

..  and all that is moot, since he was being condescending.

who got fired?

Irregardless,no, the intent of the speaker or actor is what we should recognize, as well as logic.

Saying niggardly isn't per se an intent to cause harm, and it shouldn't be interpreted as such

http://www.adversity.net/special/niggardly.htm
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/daily/jan99/district27.htm
Memory:  I has it.

Quote:

Yossarian22 said:
No, he wasn't. He was trying to explain to people from across the country the reason why the political atmosphere in Pennsylvania is the way it is. The attitude he was trying to dispel was that they're just stupid hicks, so forget about them. He said, no, they've got a right to be cynical and angry and this cynicism and anger has political consequences; if we want to get their support, we've got to earn it by showing that the government can help them.  He worded it awkwardly, but you can still tell what he meant, and if that's not enough, he even clarified it and stated point blank what he meant.

I don't know what "niggardly" has to do with it- if somebody got fired for using that word, that's bullshit but I don't see the connection. I realize that perception matters and that Clinton and McCain are spinning like crazy, but it doesn't seem to be working since it hasn't hurt him either nationally or locally. So if perception's everything, it's pretty clear that it's not really being perceived as condescending, is it?

Perception IS everything.

And yes, he was being condescending.  He was saying that there are serious problems in those areas that have made the people turn bitter, and rather than concentrating on that serious problem they are instead focusing on unimportant drivel like religion, guns, hating black people or mexicans or free trade.  It's an insight into his -- and the liberal-at-large -- mindset:  if you disagree, you obviously are being blinded or distracted, because they HAVE the correct answer.  It's not a matter of debate, it's not a matter of differing opinions.  There is right, and there is wrong, and HE has a firm grasp of what is right.  Any discussion otherwise is pointless, since he is right -- if you can't see that he's right, well there's something wrong with you.  You must be bitter.  That's why you keep clinging to your guns, or your religion, or don't exactly trust the black people livin across town (never mind it's a fucking ghetto and you're RIGHT not to trust them, not because they're black but because they're fucking awful people), or why you don't want to keep letting mexicans walk into our country unchecked while we get fucking anally probed for flying into canada with proper documentation, or why you think completely unchecked free trade could be a disaster (which it can be, but welcome to globalization:  there IS no right answer, all answers lead to somebody getting screwed).

Quote:

Icelander said:
I also don't understand how he has "insulted" these people.

From my experience growing up in the Bible belt it's always been true. Guns and fucking religion. Oh and lots of alcohol.:thumbup: America the beautiful.

You never stepped down out of your ivory tower long enough to realize they're people too, apparently.

I'm completely devoid of any faith, yet somehow I've got along JUST FINE with "those people" my entire life.  And hey, I'm pro-choice, I'm for drug legalization, half my family's black and I (gasp) READ BOOKS!  But somehow I can survive among "those people" and actually talk to them and have a good time?  Huh, must be because I'm not constantly telling myself how much better I am than they are or something, who knows.

--------------------
i finally got around to making a sig
revel in its glory and quake in fear at its might
grar.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAhronZombi
AhronZombi

Re: Obama To Rural Pennsylvanians: Vote For Me, You Corncob-Smokin', Banjo-Strokin' Chicken-Chokin' [Re: Mushmonkey]
    #8289525 - 04/16/08 01:04 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

RedNecks Fuck em. I personally want a intelligent president that those people would feel comfortable around. Growing up in KY you dont have to be very smart to relies that allot of rednecks hate people smarter than them.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Obama To Rural Pennsylvanians: Vote For Me, You Corncob-Smokin', Banjo-Strokin' Chicken-Chokin' [Re: AhronZombi]
    #8290406 - 04/16/08 07:19 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

> I personally want a intelligent president

I want an effective president that protects my freedom and defends the constitution.  Intelligence (in a president) is overrated; look at Jimmy Carter, one of the most intelligent presidents we have ever had, yet one of the most ineffective presidents we have ever had.

> in KY you dont (sic) have to be very smart to relies (sic) that allot (sic) of

Nice example.  :grin:

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Obama To Rural Pennsylvanians: Vote For Me, You Corncob-Smokin', Banjo-Strokin' Chicken-Chokin' [Re: AhronZombi]
    #8290743 - 04/16/08 11:08 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

AhronZombi said:
RedNecks Fuck em.

I personally want a intelligent president that those people would feel comfortable around.

Growing up in KY you dont have to be very smart to relies that allot of rednecks hate people smarter than them.

are "those people" Typical White People?

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Obama To Rural Pennsylvanians: Vote For Me, You Corncob-Smokin', Banjo-Strokin' Chicken-Chokin' [Re: Mushmonkey]
    #8291191 - 04/16/08 01:35 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

You never stepped down out of your ivory tower long enough to realize they're people too, apparently.

I'm completely devoid of any faith, yet somehow I've got along JUST FINE with "those people" my entire life. And hey, I'm pro-choice, I'm for drug legalization, half my family's black and I (gasp) READ BOOKS! But somehow I can survive among "those people" and actually talk to them and have a good time? Huh, must be because I'm not constantly telling myself how much better I am than they are or something, who knows.

What a joke. I lived with and like these people for much of my life and never even glimpsed an ivory tower. And Hitler was people too dude but I don't have to get along with that bullshit, but maybe we just have different standards for human behavior. I can find something to like in anyone just like you but I'm still able to call someone on acting like an idiot too. Frankly IMO most of these folk act this way most of the time. When they vote they vote for ideas I personally consider ugly and self destructive but that's just me. In the end we're all just humans, all the same. I just enjoy and respect some more than others.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion