Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Reasons to be a Philosophy Major [Re: dorkus]
    #8288252 - 04/15/08 06:52 PM (16 years, 4 days ago)

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Edited by deCypher (01/19/09 06:55 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Reasons to be a Philosophy Major [Re: blewmeanie]
    #8288965 - 04/15/08 09:16 PM (16 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

blewmeanie said:
Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
Well, I'm a baby boomer and I made that decision in 1973. Fortunately, things turned out OK. If my current counseling position which is partly federally funded is done away with, I am going to inquire about teaching philosophy at one of the local universities. Philosophy can set the groundwork for graduate programs of all kinds from law to psychology to human resources to medicine.

Being a philosophy major is a great way to learn the fine are of begging for change as well..hehe sorry couldnt help it.

Right. Then I could be like Diogenes of Sinope, living in a drainpipe with stray dogs, carrying a lantern about in the daytime, seeking an honest man, although, in Miami, I'd probably keel over with shock if I found one! Fortunately, I have found an honest woman already, and I like women better than I like men anyway. It's a funny thing...I have a thing for interesting lamps and lanterns. I just purchased a few Moroccan-style candle lantern to place on an Indian carpet at night by the pool, and a couple to hang from the house for ambience. They sort of look like the lamps in the pics. If I where my 'Museum Replica' monk robe, grow back a beard, and carry a lantern around, I could sort of look like one of my archetypal alter-egos:

Edited by MarkostheGnostic (04/15/08 09:23 PM)

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: Reasons to be a Philosophy Major [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #8288989 - 04/15/08 09:20 PM (16 years, 4 days ago)

I've never understood how a guy like you could live in a town like Miami. :confused:

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #8289000 - 04/15/08 09:22 PM (16 years, 4 days ago)

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: Reasons to be a Philosophy Major [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #8289095 - 04/15/08 09:39 PM (16 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

NiamhNyx said:
I've never understood how a guy like you could live in a town like Miami. :confused:

Hey, I'm survival-oriented and stuck here. I have a great Lady, a nice home that's paid for, free health care til now at least, and lots of vacation time. It's just that we're social isolates with few acquaintances, zero family, and no real friendships down here. I have no interest in Latin or Haitian culture, and as for the beach, I haven't even been in the ocean for 12 years (since I got and survived malignant melanoma and avoid the sun)!I've got 8 years left til retirememnt unless my funding runs out. I'd have to wait out the recession and sell when Miami property values come up again, but we're over 'cold rain and snow.' Where to go where it's warm, but the people are cool? Been here 25 years. My Great Uncle Herman might still be alive if his daughter didn't move him from Florida to Michigan where he died at age 106. At 103 he'd take himself to Michigan by himself to visit. He only needed a cane! Shoot...he told me about meeting Leon Trotsky just before starting glorious revolution in 1917.

I think the Fountain of Youth in Florida has more to do with 'lunar' mushrooms than with 'solar' weather. My own aging might accelerate if I leave like that character on the original Star Trek who left Earth after centuries of life and began to die. You're right though...I never felt that Florida was home. I simply followed my ex-wife down here. She was a very attractive, tall, bottle-blonde whose father was quite famous. Perhaps you've heard of him. His name is Satan. That's why I'm here (Demiurgically speaking).

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Offlinebackfromthedead
Activated

#8289528 - 04/15/08 11:05 PM (16 years, 4 days ago)

'I think the Fountain of Youth in Florida has more to do with 'lunar' mushrooms than with 'solar' weather.'

Now yous talkin.:thumbup:

'His name is Satan.'

Sis??

--------------------

OfflinexFrockx
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast
Re: Reasons to be a Philosophy Major [Re: backfromthedead]
    #8289599 - 04/15/08 11:29 PM (16 years, 4 days ago)

I'm dual majoring in psych and philosophy with the intention of going to grad school for theoretical psychology and eventually becoming a professor.

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#8289649 - 04/15/08 11:44 PM (16 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
Where to go where it's warm, but the people are cool?

San Francisco? Ah, what a wonderful fantasy land of urban perfection...

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: Reasons to be a Philosophy Major [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #8290419 - 04/16/08 05:35 AM (16 years, 4 days ago)

A million dollars for 1/2 of a 'painted lady.' Sorry, I've got to sell high, buy low when I retire.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order