Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedanlennon3
LivingIsEasyWithEyesClosed.....
Male User Gallery

Loc: usa Flag
trouble germinating cacti seeds
    #8278566 - 04/13/08 05:00 PM (16 years, 6 days ago)

Im trying to germinate 12 seeds. I followed the directions for germinatig them, such as keeping them in a hot and humid place but nothing has sprouted. It has been over 2 months and still no sign at all. I know it takes a while so I dont plan on giving up. At first I was using a normal light bulb. Then I switched to a halogen, full spectrum bulb. I could also use a flourescant bulb but it does not seem to produce as much light and heat. So what am I doin wrong?

--------------------
"Psychedelics should be used not to escape reality, but to embrace it"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblelayzdapipe
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: trouble germinating cacti seeds [Re: danlennon3]
    #8278609 - 04/13/08 05:14 PM (16 years, 6 days ago)

2 months? I like to mix a little sand in with my cacti soil that way I use less cacti soil and you get the benefits of sandy soil, if there is any. I take my container that i have them in and set them outside in a shady area that gets like maybe 2-3 hours of light per day. I get a pretty good germ rate. Im not sure if the lighting was your problem. Maybe the seeds werent viable? Also, how are you getting them humid? The aluminum pans with a plastic top to them work good for germing cactis in. I see sprouts in a week or two.

What kind of cacti was it? I havent germmed lophs before and Im sure those take longer than triches.

Im sure a window could work for germing them.

--------------------

Edited by layzdapipe (04/13/08 05:50 PM)

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #8279024 - 04/13/08 07:11 PM (16 years, 6 days ago)

2 months, it´s time to give up and try again.
Did you sterilize the substrate?
Cacti seedlings are very sensitive to fungi and algae.

FH

OfflineNomis
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: trouble germinating cacti seeds [Re: felixhigh]
    #8279419 - 04/13/08 08:25 PM (16 years, 6 days ago)

Sounds like bunk seeds. 1 month would be long enough to see atleast one sprout.
12 seeds isn't much of a loss, buy some more and go again.

Let them totally dry out for a bit then re-soak, leave and forget about them. If they germ, bonus, if not its the same as now.
One freak occurance I had recently was seeds germinating after I hardened off the 5-6mth old seedlings when they were on a window sill.

Offlinedanlennon3
Male User Gallery

Re: trouble germinating cacti seeds [Re: Nomis]
    #8279588 - 04/13/08 09:00 PM (16 years, 6 days ago)

they were L. williamsii. The soil was brand new miracle grow brand cactus soil. I put the soil in little plastic containers then put them in a large zip lock bag. I sprayed it down a lot at the beginning and it stayed moist most of the time. A couple days ago I opened the bag to let all the moisture out.I thought maybe that was the problem. I got the seeds from a reliable source so I think it was my fault.

--------------------

Invisiblelayzdapipe
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#8279964 - 04/13/08 10:17 PM (16 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

danlennon3 said:
they were L. williamsii. The soil was brand new miracle grow brand cactus soil. I put the soil in little plastic containers then put them in a large zip lock bag. I sprayed it down a lot at the beginning and it stayed moist most of the time. A couple days ago I opened the bag to let all the moisture out.I thought maybe that was the problem. I got the seeds from a reliable source so I think it was my fault.

Did you poke holes in your bags? Im pretty sure they need to breathe. And im pretty sure lophs take longer to germ than triches, im not sure of their germ time.

--------------------

Offlinesturmer88
Shroomer
Male User Gallery

Re: trouble germinating cacti seeds [Re: layzdapipe]
    #8280507 - 04/14/08 12:38 AM (16 years, 6 days ago)

They have the same germ time as trichs. You probably sprayed them to much. They won't germ if they are to moist. You only need to mist eneough to keep moist. Also you don't need to steralize the soil. it's just better to for later on down the road. I got my L Williamsii to germ after only 3 days, but usually it should take about 3-7 days.

They usually have about an 80% germ rate. My first try I planted 20 seeds and got 14 to germ. Plus you don't need to poke holes in the bag until after they germ but you should air it out every day or so. Lack of air will also stop them from sprouting.

Cactus seeds Trich and Williamsii seeds I've found are amongst the easiest to germinate. Just put them on top of the dirt, don't cover them, and wait.

Invisiblescruffymafia
Dreamer

Loc: Wonderland
Re: trouble germinating cacti seeds [Re: sturmer88]
    #8280795 - 04/14/08 02:20 AM (16 years, 6 days ago)

If they havent germed yet, take the seeds out and let them dry out then try again. I heard the seeds can take much abuse and have heard of this being done before - have never done it myself.

Has anyone tried that?

--------------------
This is the strangest life I've ever known.

Offlinedanlennon3
Male User Gallery

Re: trouble germinating cacti seeds [Re: scruffymafia]
    #8281496 - 04/14/08 10:13 AM (16 years, 5 days ago)

I don't think I can find the seeds in the soil because of how small they are. But I am drying the soil out to see if anything happens. Would it be a problem if I re-use the soil? should I sterilize it if I do?

--------------------

Offlinesturmer88
Shroomer
Male User Gallery

#8282916 - 04/14/08 04:11 PM (16 years, 5 days ago)

Don't steralize it with the seeds in it. You'll cook the seeds and ruin them for sure.

If you can't find the seeds in the soil just mix the top soil atround a bit and hopefully some will make it to the top and let the soil dry out a bit then mist it a bit. Then put it in a plastic bag and make sure you air it out every day.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags