Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinegamemaster
Director of Fate
Loc: somewhere near you
bacillus-subtilis info (EPA)=no toxicity
    #827662 - 08/19/02 10:14 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

i recently posted concern and discussion on the common infection of bacillus-wetspot on rye and spawn. it has been determined that bacillus-substilis the specific bacillus found in rye and common in nature is not toxic to humans.

below i have copied some info from EPA site: read below or check site!
http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/biopesticides/factsheets/fs129068e.htm

"The use of B. subtilis in an industrial setting should not pose an unreasonable risk to human health or the environment. First, human health and environmental hazards of B. subtilis are low. Second, the number of microorganisms released from the fermentation facility is low. In addition, B. subtilis is ubiquitous in the environment, and the releases expected from the fermentation facilities will not significantly increase populations of this bacterium in the environment."

"In conclusion, the use of B. subtilis in fermentation facilities for the production of enzymes or specialty chemicals has low risk. Although not completely innocuous, the industrial use of B. subtilis presents low risk of adverse effects to human health or the environment."

any comments are wanted and welcome!!!

--------------------
doors of perception...look for your cleansing

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDazedSol
old hand

Re: bacillus-subtilis info (EPA)=no toxicity [Re: gamemaster]
    #827680 - 08/19/02 10:23 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Interesting.......... now does anyone know if there are any other bacteria that may appear like bacillus but is not?? Either way i still dont think i would eat off a cake that had bacillus

--------------------
Peace,
Adam

OfflineHammerloaf
addict

Loc: Canada
    #828164 - 08/19/02 02:20 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

hmm.. I don't know how to take that excerpt.

It seems to me that when a cake, or grain becomes contaminated with bacteria, it is a fertile breeding ground, and may produce huge amounts of it in a short period of time.
Amounts large enough to over rule the "low risk of human health or environment" damage... maybe..

Plus, odds are that anything you managed to get colonized (with mycelium and bacillus) would soon be just a lump of gross bacteria. Good luck fruiting that puppy!

I just don't see that going beyond tossing it in the trash is worth it.. but it's nice to know that sniffing those jars won't kill you!

Cheers,

Hammy.

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#828312 - 08/19/02 03:24 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Hey gm; I don't know if was in your post or not, but I commented on some past work I'd done growing up bacteria/fungi from various sources. . .Milk was something we would regularly plate out on agar for bacterial counts, and "Bacillus sp." was all we would do for identification of anything that was obviously Bacillus. Odds are many were subtilis.

Anyway, on the whole milk thing, the standards for pasteurization of milk in Washington State is 'less than 30,000 colony forming units per mL [that's one cubic centimeter]. Any container of milk we tested from the supermarket shelf [pasteurized, homogenized, whatever] was always above 10,000 colony forming units per mL, usually closer to 20,000. The vast majority of the colonies that formed were Bacillus spp.

So the gist--Let's assume 15,000 CFU per mL, and 75% Bacillus spp.
One small glass of 'pasteurized' milk [250 mL] on average will contain just under 3 million viable Bacillus. Certainly many, many more dead ones.

The 'medical' risk with contaminated substrate isn't really with Bacillus itself, but the other species that might start to thrive in the wake of its growth. You just don't know for sure what's really going on. And any allergies or sensitivities one might have to Bacillus or otherwise [probably the key factor, right there].

Offlinegamemaster
Director of Fate
Loc: somewhere near you
Re: bacillus-subtilis info (EPA)=no toxicity [Re: Suntzu]
    #828675 - 08/19/02 06:24 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

yes, hammerloaf, check this link to my other forum i will post here too:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum4&Number=818549&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

my friend has had pic perfect 9-10" booms with small amount of bacillus subtilis sour smell (but no visual signs of growth in qt jar)in grain spawn, grain spawned straw (slight smell of bacillus but no obvious visual impact: solid growth with thick rhizo), cased and pinned fast and plentiful. they were Pesa and looked thick and tall almost identical to mycofile's profile pic. 3 beautiful flushes -wish dude had cam

no bullshit

peace

--------------------
doors of perception...look for your cleansing

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology