Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Obama To Rural Pennsylvanians: Vote For Me, You Corncob-Smokin', Banjo-Strokin' Chicken-Chokin' [Re: DieCommie]
    #8272080 - 04/11/08 11:54 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Sounds like bullshit PC blather to me.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: Obama To Rural Pennsylvanians: Vote For Me, You Corncob-Smokin', Banjo-Strokin' Chicken-Chokin' ... [Re: Phred]
    #8272300 - 04/12/08 01:21 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Much ado about nothing.

Are you aware of how partisan you are and how it warps your perceptions?

This is manufactured news in a campaign cycle which will be forgotten in a week.

Stupid stuff.

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery

Loc: innsmouth..MA
Re: Obama To Rural Pennsylvanians: Vote For Me, You Corncob-Smokin', Banjo-Strokin' Chicken-Chokin' [Re: Phred]
    #8272564 - 04/12/08 02:22 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

hes' right..but prolly the wrong thing to say to someone you want to vote for you...

if this isnt the final nail in the dems coffin..then there isnt that many left...if i were in howard deans' shoes..i would resign myself to brokering a sacrificial lamb for POTUS at the convention and concentrate on keeping congress instead...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Obama To Rural Pennsylvanians: Vote For Me, You Corncob-Smokin', Banjo-Strokin' Chicken-Chokin' ... [Re: Phred]
    #8272963 - 04/12/08 05:20 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Obama Said:

"they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

"working class voters then sometimes end up voting on issues like guns and gay marriage.”

Keep talking obama, please keep talking!:grin:

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

InvisibleEntheogenicPeace
Scholar
Male

Re: Obama To Rural Pennsylvanians: Vote For Me, You Corncob-Smokin', Banjo-Strokin' Chicken-Chokin' [Re: Redstorm]
    #8273185 - 04/12/08 08:35 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

---

Edited by EntheogenicPeace (02/13/21 04:46 PM)

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Obama To Rural Pennsylvanians: Vote For Me, You Corncob-Smokin', Banjo-Strokin' Chicken-Chokin' [Re: EntheogenicPeace]
    #8273212 - 04/12/08 08:53 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Too post this with "outrage" appears very desperate.

And there, in a nutshell, is Obama's problem. The base he panders to quite honestly cannot even see what is wrong with what he said. They don't grasp how the people Obama is slurring could possibly be offended by his condescension. Because to them, of course the people Obama references are corncob-smokin', banjo-strokin', chicken-chokin', cousin-pokin' inbred hillbilly racist morons whose mystifying enthusiasms are symptoms of psychic damage.

And because Obama has spent his entire adult life surrounded by people who hold this viewpoint, he is totally lost at sea when required to deal with anyone else. Like the average American, for example.

No way this asshat is winning the general election. Hell, at this rate he might not even get the nomination.

Phred

--------------------

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Obama To Rural Pennsylvanians: Vote For Me, You Corncob-Smokin', Banjo-Strokin' Chicken-Chokin' [Re: Phred]
    #8273226 - 04/12/08 09:03 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Obama references are corncob-smokin', banjo-strokin', chicken-chokin', cousin-pokin' inbred hillbilly racist morons whose mystifying enthusiasms are symptoms of psychic damage.

Except he said none of these things. What he said may alienate voters in Pennsylvania, but he certainly didn't lie. The outrage coming from you over this cracks me up.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Obama To Rural Pennsylvanians: Vote For Me, You Corncob-Smokin', Banjo-Strokin' Chicken-Chokin' [Re: Redstorm]
    #8273254 - 04/12/08 09:19 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

LOL!

I'm not outraged. I'm amused. Greatly amused.

The spectacle of this hollow suit stepping on his dick is to be savored. It's freaking comedy gold. I'm grinning all over my face.

This is why rookies shouldn't be allowed to run for president.

Phred

--------------------

InvisibleSoY
I am the LizardKing
 User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
    #8273331 - 04/12/08 10:04 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Having lived in the midwest for 22 of my 23 years, I can attest that what he says is completely true.

I am a principled Libertarian and not an Obama supporter, however, based on my experiences having lived in rural Wisconsin my entire life, I too find him to be absolutely correct in his observation.

Phred, do you not agree with the accuracy of his observation, or did you just cream yourself over the fact that he actually said it?

--------------------

"The choiceless truth of who you are is revealed to be permanently here permeating everything. Not a thing and not separate from anything."--Gaganji
"Yesterday is but today's memory and tomorrow is today's dream."
"My karma ran over my dogma!"

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Obama To Rural Pennsylvanians: Vote For Me, You Corncob-Smokin', Banjo-Strokin' Chicken-Chokin' [Re: SoY]
    #8273353 - 04/12/08 10:18 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

So, essentially, we have a politician speaking about the nature of a group of voters and then others arguing that it isn't the case. Big deal. The voters will decide who was right I guess.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Obama To Rural Pennsylvanians: Vote For Me, You Corncob-Smokin', Banjo-Strokin' Chicken-Chokin' [Re: SoY]
    #8273373 - 04/12/08 10:25 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

You guys honestly think these folks converted from atheist gun control zealots to religious gun owners when the local textile factory closed its doors before you were born? That if that textile factory were still in operation, these folks wouldn't be going to church? They wouldn't own guns? They'd embrace illegal aliens? Nigga, please! These folks were doing all those same things back in the Fifties.

Obama's comment was breathtakingly stupid. Every professional politician in America knew he'd stepped on his dick big time as soon as they heard it. Talk about unforced errors! Clinton must be giddy with glee.

The Prime Directive of political campaigns is don't insult the voters. That is so ingrained in professional politicians it's instinctual.

We all know Liberal politicians have utter contempt for the poor benighted denizens of the "flyover" states. But at least they have the good sense not to express this contempt out loud. Obama doesn't have even that much sense. A politician stupid enough to say what he said is a politician orders of magnitude too stupid to be handed the keys to the most powerful nation on the planet.

Phred

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #8273533 - 04/12/08 11:38 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

:blah:

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Obama To Rural Pennsylvanians: Vote For Me, You Corncob-Smokin', Banjo-Strokin' Chicken-Chokin' [Re: afoaf]
    #8273726 - 04/12/08 12:50 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I don't think obama intended to say that they converted from a diametric lifestyle due to the factors you identify, but rather that they become more ingrained in their lifestyle to the exlcusion of others.

At most the word cling could mean that they adopted these beliefs from a neutral standpoint, but I'm sure he meant that they became more fervant in their beliefs.

Either way, I grant you it is hard to determine that economic hardship caused these beliefs, but so what?

I very much believe those isolated tend to have more extreme views. Just look at the newcomers to this forum, they often have views way out of step with those here, after awhile they begine to mellow (or maybe they just leave and I don't notice them anymore).

Knowing folks in fairly all white, with the exceptions of some mexicans, areas in the midwest, I absolutly believe that they get bitter towards outside ways and people.

Quote:

We all know Liberal politicians have utter contempt for the poor benighted denizens of the "flyover" states. But at least they have the good sense not to express this contempt out loud. Obama doesn't have even that much sense. A politician stupid enough to say what he said is a politician orders of magnitude too stupid to be handed the keys to the most powerful nation on the planet.

When I here this kinda garbage it makes it hard to take the speaker seriously. We don't "all know" that liberals have contempt for the poor citezins in flyover states. Nevertheless, why don't you share your reasoning or evidence for this phenomenon?

Perhaps liberals don't pander to the red states as a whole, by definition most flyovers are red, but I would imagine this is due to their recent lack of support in these areas.

And didn't the rural states, and southern states, used to vote mainly democratic, or at least more so than the country at large? Are you saying this contempt by liberals is a recent trend? If so, why?

Also, what's your point with your original post? That this rhetoric is incorrect, that obama's views as expressed should not be supported by yourself and us, that obama is an unappealing candidate to PA because of it, or what? I really don't get the point, and it seems a little silly to be railing on him so hard because of this.

Would you really adopt such a stance if it was your favored candidate who said these things? If not, why do you adopt these stances towards obama? The whole thing seems a red herring to me, not really worthy of much introspection.

Quote:

And because Obama has spent his entire adult life surrounded by people who hold this viewpoint, he is totally lost at sea when required to deal with anyone else. Like the average American, for example.

I don't know that the average american is as lost as a politician as to insight into other people's culture, but maybe. Either way, I grant you he probably is isolated in his own bubble, but are you saying this is particularly the case with him?

I would think most powerful politicians are victims of "group-thinking" advisors, who don't understand the public's opinion.

Look at Nixon, even in the depth of his scandals his tapes revealed he was at a loss as to why people didn't care for him.

InvisibleVirus_with_Shoes
Pastor of Muppets
Male User Gallery

Loc: Zuid-Holland, Nederland
Re: Obama To Rural Pennsylvanians: Vote For Me, You Corncob-Smokin', Banjo-Strokin' Chicken-Chokin' [Re: afoaf]
    #8273762 - 04/12/08 01:05 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

afoaf said:
this entire thread smacks of desperation.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Obama To Rural Pennsylvanians: Vote For Me, You Corncob-Smokin', Banjo-Strokin' Chicken-Chokin' [Re: Virus_with_Shoes]
    #8273857 - 04/12/08 01:28 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I'm with Phred.  I'm :rofl2:.

Now assorted ignorant people can proclaim rural America to in fact be a bastion of backward hayseeds that is far inferior to the oh so sophisticated conclaves of urban welfare cities loaded with the servant class but that will do absolutely nothing to change the perception among those "bumpkins" that Obama is an elitist douche.  Who hates whitey (typical type).  We haven't even begun to tear this class warfare moron the new asshole he is so desperately seeking.  Bwahahahahaha.

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: Obama To Rural Pennsylvanians: Vote For Me, You Corncob-Smokin', Banjo-Strokin' Chicken-Chokin' [Re: johnm214]
    #8274389 - 04/12/08 03:34 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Also, what's your point with your original post? That this rhetoric is incorrect, that obama's views as expressed should not be supported by yourself and us, that obama is an unappealing candidate to PA because of it, or what? I really don't get the point, and it seems a little silly to be railing on him so hard because of this.

The point is that this not-ready-for-prime-time empty suit, this glorified fortune cookie, just made a gigantic and entirely unnecessary blunder that will certainly cost him the election. His comments were so jaw-droppingly stupid there is almost no way to describe just how stupid they were.

Quote:

Would you really adopt such a stance if it was your favored candidate who said these things?

Certainly. It's so blatant it's completely impossible to overlook.

Quote:

The whole thing seems a red herring to me, not really worthy of much introspection.

Of course it seems that way to you, duh. You're a Liberal. As I pointed out earlier in the thread, Libs don't even realize he did anything wrong. That's yet another facet of this situation that makes it such comedy gold, the gift that keeps on giving -- the fact that this enormous blunder just zings right over the heads of so many Liberal elitists. It's like, "Dude, what? What am I missing, here?"

It's hysterical, I tell you what!

Phred

--------------------

InvisibleVirus_with_Shoes
Pastor of Muppets
Male User Gallery

Loc: Zuid-Holland, Nederland
    #8274407 - 04/12/08 03:40 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

that will certainly cost him the election.

Haha! Oh please. Yes, THIS will be the thing that makes him lose the election. :whatever:
Quote:

Of course it seems that way to you, duh. You're a Liberal.

I can't really take your feigned outrage very seriously because I'd imagine if McCain had said a similar thing you'd be trying to whitewash it... no pun intended. Pure partisan junk.

Virus_with_Shoes

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Obama To Rural Pennsylvanians: Vote For Me, You Corncob-Smokin', Banjo-Strokin' Chicken-Chokin' [Re: Virus_with_Shoes]
    #8274497 - 04/12/08 04:08 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Whistling past the graveyard. Your Changey Poof just shat himself yet again. If you cannot see that the more he speaks the more he exposes himself as an elitist douche pandering to the not so great horde of narcissists currently known as "liberals" you are more blinkered than I thought. Any rational observer of politics knows this was a bad mistake. Even the jerk himself knows it. A reasonable debate could be had over just how bad, but there is no rational argument that this won't hurt in the general election. Like I said before, we haven't even begun to get our meathooks in this "smarter than thou" fuckwad commie racist. Just more ammo. Keep it coming Barry. We love ya for it.

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#8274507 - 04/12/08 04:10 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I can't really take your feigned outrage very seriously because I'd imagine if McCain had said a similar thing you'd be trying to whitewash it... no pun intended. Pure partisan junk.

You imagine wrong. First of all, I am far from outraged. I am instead delighted, not to mention greatly amused.

Secondly, if McCain had said this, I'd be pointing out his stunning stupidity for saying it every bit as vigorously as I point out Obama's stupidity. The news here isn't that an elitist politician has contempt for the masses, it's that he was stupid enough to come right out and say it. It would be every bit as big a story if McCain had said it, believe me. I mean, there's stupid and then there's STUPID. This is a whole new category of stupid.

One of the added bennies to having Obama say it, rather than McCain (one of just many... as I said before, this is the gift that just keeps on giving), is the textbook demonstration of the whole Marxist "false consciousness" trope so ingrained in Obama's little Lefty mind. While not everyone commenting on this trainwreck has pointed it out yet, it's just sitting out there in the open for all to see.

Phred

--------------------

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Obama To Rural Pennsylvanians: Vote For Me, You Corncob-Smokin', Banjo-Strokin' Chicken-Chokin' [Re: zappaisgod]
    #8274532 - 04/12/08 04:17 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Of course it seems that way to you, duh. You're a Liberal. As I pointed out earlier in the thread, Libs don't even realize he did anything wrong. That's yet another facet of this situation that makes it such comedy gold, the gift that keeps on giving -- the fact that this enormous blunder just zings right over the heads of so many Liberal elitists. It's like, "Dude, what? What am I missing, here?"

I've been called worse, but I wouldn't consider myself to be a liberal. I'm not going to vote democratic as it stands now, w/ hillary and obama both distastefull to me, does that disqualify me? (I'll also not vote green or socialist)

I just think its much ado about nothing. Yes it was a bad thing to say if your trying to win PA, and it does sound condescending, but he's right insofar as the folks I know, who aren't that far from PA, and live very similarly to the areas he's refering to.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order