Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisiblePeachMan
Buster

Loc: Gotta Get Back to the Min...
Catch-22
    #826000 - 08/18/02 04:36 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

anybody else just love this book? freakin hilarious. i have a test over it tomorrow, so any ideas you want to throw at me would be much appreciated (yes, i've actually read the text, but other's opinions never hurt anything when taking an essay test....)

--------------------
Santa Claus ain't legal-- and he's around.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesusej
we like cheese.
Re: Catch-22 [Re: PeachMan]
    #826665 - 08/18/02 08:32 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I just finished reading this book and I loved every page of it! So god-damn hilarious, Hitchhiker's is funnier, though, but for different reasons. The world Heller created is both believable and utterly insane at the same time and the result is amazing! It's funny that you posted this cuz I was going to do just the same. I was going to post because there is a bit about mushrooms that is so well written (it all is) that I thought I should post it for interest's sake:

"Along the ground suddenly, on both sides of the path, he saw dozens of new mushrooms the rain had spawned poking their nodular fingers up through the clammy earth like lifeless stalks of flesh, sprouting in such necrotic profusion everywhere he looked that they seemed to be proliferating right before his eyes. There were thousands of them swarming as far back into the underbrush as he could see, and they appeared to swell in size and multiply in number as he spied them. He hurried away from them with a shiver or eerie alarm and did not slacken his pace until the soil crumbled to dry sand beneath his feet and they had been left behind. He glanced back apprehensively, half expecting to the limp white things crawling after him in sightless pursuit or snaking up through treetops in a writhing and ungovernable mutative mass."

This is one of my favourite paragraphs of the book:

"Yossarion was cold, too, and shivering uncontrollably. He felt goose pimples clacking all over him as he gazed down despondently at the grim secret Snowden had spilled all over the messy floor. It was easy to read his message in his entrails. Man was matter, that was Snowden's secret. Drop him out a window and he will fall. Set fire to him and he will burn. Bury him and he'll rot, like other kinds of garbage. The spirit gone, man is garbage. That was Snowden's secret. Ripeness was all."

Do you have a favourite? I'd like to hear it if you do. Have you read any other Heller books?

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Ca...
Re: Catch-22 [Re: susej]
    #827654 - 08/19/02 10:09 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I you liked Catch-22 I recommend Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. It's told in the same comic sort of way, but when you realize the brutality of what he is describing, you stop laughing. Excellent book.

Has anybody ever read another Heller book that was good besides Catch-22? I've never found one.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: Catch-22 [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #827790 - 08/19/02 11:19 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

_god knows_ was hilarious (being the memoirs of king david)
(i wish i could find my copy...)

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

InvisiblePeachMan
Buster

Loc: Gotta Get Back to the Min...
    #828155 - 08/19/02 02:16 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

i've loved every vonnegut novel i've read (slaughterhouse five definitely being the favorite), but i think i liked catch-22 more.

i think the funniest character was probably orr. not for the symbolism or his genius or anything, just because he was funny.

am i the only one who thinks that milo represents creeping communism?

--------------------
Santa Claus ain't legal-- and he's around.

Anonymous

#828304 - 08/19/02 03:19 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Ca...
Re: Catch-22 [Re: ]
    #828390 - 08/19/02 04:02 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

OfflineDiscordja
Pope

Loc: Atlantic Canada
    #828479 - 08/19/02 04:53 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I love my lies.

Loved Catch-22 too, so much so that I picked up the sequel, 'Closing Time'. Very much a different book, but still worth a read. Takes place 30 or 40 years down the road; synchronistically enough, Vonnegut and Slaughterhouse 5 both figure into the narrative in small ways (one of the main characters is with Vonnegut during the bombing of Dresden).

Coincidence? Scoff-scoff...

--------------------
Remember, it's only true if it makes you laugh...

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
Re: Catch-22 [Re: PeachMan]
    #828485 - 08/19/02 04:56 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Is there a movie version?

OfflineDiscordja
Pope

Loc: Atlantic Canada
Re: Catch-22 [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #828811 - 08/19/02 07:33 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

For Catch-22? Yeah. Not bad, but they had to chop out about 90% of the material (including my favorite scene with Chaplin Tapman, and alot of Milo Minderbinder's best stuff. Bastards!). Alan Arkin wasn't the Yossarian I pictured, but he did it better than most could've. Cameo by Orson Welles...

--------------------
Remember, it's only true if it makes you laugh...

Offlinesusej
we like cheese.
Re: Catch-22 [Re: Discordja]
    #834226 - 08/21/02 08:09 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I think the analogy of Milo being the symbol of creeping consumerism isn't too far off the mark...and it's probably a commentary on how war isn't really about fighting for "what is right" but it's really about making money which I think is illustrated best when Milo orders the bombing of his own squadron.

One of my favourite characters was probably Major Major Major Major...just makes me giggle thinking of this guy trying to play basketball with a disguise on and avioding everyone at all costs. I guess it's how I feel sometimes because, man, there are a lot of assholes out there and the army is like an asshole factory.

I really enjoyed the overall theme of the book: war is dumb.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media