Home | Community | Message Board

The Best Salvia
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Petri Dish, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineafdispatch
Stranger
Need Help Bad!!
    #825075 - 08/18/02 09:08 AM (15 years, 7 days ago)

This is my first attempt to grow mushrooms. I started off by cultivating spores in agar and I successfully obtained mycelium. Then, I pressure cooked my canning jars filled with birdseed/water and innoculated them with the mycelium from the petri dishes. It has been about a week since the innoculation and absolutely nothing has happened. No mycelium has grown, no contamination.....nothing. What could have gone wrong?? Could it be the birdseed??

Oh yea, here are a few things that could have gone wrong, but I'm not sure:

1) I think I used too much water, as the birdseed still looks kind of wet. Would this make the mycelium not grow?
2) I innoculated the jars when they were still pretty hot, so could this have possibly killed the mycelium?
3) I read once that some birdseed has a coating on it, and it should be removed, but I think this was mainly for contamination reasons.

Edited by afdispatch (08/18/02 10:32 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinewrestler_az
PsiLLy BiLLy
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Chopper Challenge

Loc: day dreams of a mad man
Re: Need Help Bad!! [Re: afdispatch]
    #825127 - 08/18/02 09:47 AM (15 years, 7 days ago)

just put them in the dark, sometimes it takes a while

--------------------
how's your WOW?

Edited by yageman (04/20/06 4:20 PM) 

Offlineentheo_smurf
journeyman
Re: Need Help Bad!! [Re: afdispatch]
    #825369 - 08/18/02 12:13 PM (15 years, 7 days ago)

You really want to wait until your jars are cold. I know its hard but patience is the key to cultivation. A good birdseed ratio is 2:1 bs:water. If this is what you did then water content should be fine. The coating should be removed because it causes clumping which prevents you from shaking the jars, slowing colonization times down.

You might have got a yellow slime type of contam. Sometimes it is hard to see. if you smell your jars it is a lot easier to detect. It should smell a little south of cheese. If you don't notice a smell, then I would have to ges you killed the Myc. with the temp of your seed.

better luck next time.

entheo

--------------------
This is for the sole purpose of information only. Not intended for use in the actual manufacture of known drugs.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Petri Dish, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation