Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCalvin13
parasite
Loc: Oregon
liberty caps?
    #822438 - 08/16/02 10:25 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

sorry i dont have a pic, but this evening i found some mushrooms growing in a watered lawn. they are about 2-3 inches tall and cap is a little more than half an inch wide. gills are brownish, cap is pretty white but a little tanish, and stem is mostly white. stem is rubbery-like and can wrap around my finger without breaking. im doing a spore print now.

im pretty sure they are liberty caps and plan to pick the rest of them and eat them, but the main thing i was wondering is if there are any poisonous liberty cap lookalikes.

thank you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineflanders53
enthusiast
Loc: NY
Re: liberty caps? [Re: Calvin13]
    #822658 - 08/17/02 02:00 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

They are most likely Libs..but be sure first!!! Wait for the spore print and tell us. They could be some Coprinus species. Does the cap have a very obvious nipple? I don't know what to tell you, a pic would help. Wait for other opinions before eating them. Good luck!

--------------------
Think for yourself. Question authority.

Edited by flanders53 (08/17/02 02:03 AM)

Offlinedrow
Shroom lover
Male

Loc: Olympia, WA
Re: liberty caps? [Re: flanders53]
    #822668 - 08/17/02 02:08 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I agree with waiting. If it is a coprinus, there is one in the family that contains coprine. If you already ate the shrooms and did not trip, then stay away from alcohol for a few days. Coprine inhibits your bodies ability to break down alcohol. Unless you want a puke fest, NO DRINKING.

--------------------
"It is a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

OfflineCalvin13
parasite
Re: liberty caps? [Re: drow]
    #823433 - 08/17/02 10:32 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

the cap is conical, and a little bit of nipple. also, the stem was just as long as the grass it was growing in and the cap was just resting right on the surface.

OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Loc: ON DA BLOCK
    #823446 - 08/17/02 10:44 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

ok if it has all of the above features rip one if the fresh ones caps apart is there a goo looking type thing where you broke it if so them they are most likly liberty caps

--------------------
This place is gayer than when the balls touch

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #824000 - 08/17/02 03:30 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Some Conocybes have conical caps and could be mistaken for libs. Conocybes are a dangerous genus to be playing with because some of them can be deadly (C. flaris).

OfflineCalvin13
parasite
Re: liberty caps? [Re: Gumby]
    #824642 - 08/17/02 08:47 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

i ate a mouthfull of them and then i realized they arent liberty caps, i think they are some kind of conocybe, whats the worst that can happen to me? im pretty sure its not c. flaris. i drank some gin to see if it was the stuff similar to anti-abuse but i didnt throw up, since its just one of those edible ones?

i didnt feel anything weird either.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #824685 - 08/17/02 09:46 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Wait a minute, you ate a mushroom that could damage your liver, then drank gin? That was prolly one of the dumber things you could have done, gin will just make things harder on the liver(all alcohol does). Bad idea. If anything you should eat milkthistle if you think you just ate some bad mushrooms.

There are several different types of toxins in mushrooms, and the toxin found in Coprinus that makes you sick when you drink liquor is not present in Conocybe. The toxins to be concerned with in Conocybes are Amatoxins, the kind that affect the liver and kidneys.

If you start to feel sick you'd want to get to a doctor before you need a liver transplant. I'm sure ToxicMan will elaborate on what to do, he knows his stuff about mushroom poisonings.

OfflineCalvin13
parasite
Re: liberty caps? [Re: Gumby]
    #824856 - 08/18/02 03:02 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

okay now im pretty sure what i ate was Conocybe Lactea, which is edible. that explains why it appears at night but i cant find them during the day.

that was pretty dumb of me eating mushrooms like that, but it gave me quite a scare that will make me much more cautious in the future.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #824986 - 08/18/02 06:06 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I thought it would be good for you to hear (I was told by Dr. Orson Miller, Jr.) that Conocybes cannot be identified accurately to species without a microscope. And, as GumbyDude mentioned above, they are a bad genus to experiment in, since they have species with high concentrations of deadly amatoxins. Avoid mushrooms which resemble Panaeolus or Psilocybe but which have brown (not black or purplish brown) spore prints. If it has been overnight since you ate them and you don't feel sick you're probably OK. The onset of amatoxin poisoning is normally 8 to 12 hours.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck