Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAncientBeing
Local Shaman

Am I heading towards strain isolation?
    #8243218 - 04/05/08 04:47 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I started with a multispore syringe of B+ and have used the method of adding sterile water to a fully colonized rye jar, shaking, sucking out mycellium water into clean syringe, then inoculating fresh rye jars with mycellium water. I have done probably 6-7 generations of jar-syringe-jars and I have noticed that now I am getting jars with visible areas of wispy mycellium and rhyzomorphic mycellium growing where before there was no separation. In the pictures below I have about 8 jars out of 48 that have areas of wispy mycellium growth while the other jars vary slightly in rhyzomorphic alone (at least majority rhizomorphic).

So here's what I am going to do... I am putting all of the wispy mycellium containing jars into one single straw log and I have selected out the jar(s) with the densest, most robust looking rhyzomorphic growth to use to propagate to the next generation of rye jars. Also I will put the 8 most rhyzomorphic looking jars together into one log, then compare the results.

Btw, i am positive the wispy areas are not cobweb mold.

--------------------
"If you have not love you have nothing"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAncientBeing
Local Shaman

Re: Am I heading towards strain isolation? [Re: AncientBeing]
    #8243234 - 04/05/08 04:51 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I have noticed too that it seems to be a trend that the rhyzomorphic mycellium sinks to the bottom of the jar and the wispy type is towards the top, possibly because the wispy type isn't as thick and dense. So, if this is true then possibly one might be able to centrifuge the heavier rhyzomorphic bits of mycellium towards one end of a syringe/jar for extraction???

--------------------
"If you have not love you have nothing"

OfflineShroomie McGee
StreetPharmacist
Male

Re: Am I heading towards strain isolation? [Re: AncientBeing]
    #8243444 - 04/05/08 05:44 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I dont know for sure but when using agar you start getting senescence when you keep transferring from one plate to another without completing the life cycle of the shroom (fruiting etc...) but I would think the same thing would happen with rye too but I dont know for sure. Id definately check into it tho

--------------------
I recently came across some Red Cap Vacutainers (GREAT for injection ports or LC) - 10 ml 16x100 mm..... if anyone is interested in trading for some prints or anything actually, PM me

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Injection Grain Bag