Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePsyliChick
Sponge
 User Gallery

Loc: In the Middle
Casing WBS
    #8232484 - 04/03/08 07:52 AM (16 years, 17 days ago)

Would be a bad thing to do if I...

Mixed field capacity vermiculite (sterilized) with my crumbled WBS cake and let it incubate for a couple of days before casing with a 50/50+ mix?

Wouldn't I be able to hold more moisture as a result?

--------------------
All posts are a works of fiction meant to entertain the masses. In no way do they imply that I break any laws, ordinances, or statutes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineskattman1982
Stranger
Male

Re: Casing WBS [Re: PsyliChick]
    #8232488 - 04/03/08 07:55 AM (16 years, 17 days ago)

not sure why you would. the casing is going to keep your moisture content up.

--------------------
They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realize that it's not worth the fucking effort. There is a difference.-Bill Hicks-

by the way, everything i write is for entertainment purposes and is purely fictional. do not construe these written words with the author having any knowledge of actual persons, places, events, or actions.

OfflinePsuper
Psilocybin

Loc: PNW
Re: Casing WBS [Re: skattman1982]
    #8232525 - 04/03/08 08:20 AM (16 years, 17 days ago)

~You don't need to sterilize the vermiculite. ~Pixie~

--------------------
Clinical Management of High Dose Psilocybin Sessions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbHOTIqjZLk

Offlineweretheshit
FeelingRhizomorp<wbr><wbr>hic?
 User Gallery

Re: Casing WBS [Re: Psuper]
    #8232528 - 04/03/08 08:22 AM (16 years, 17 days ago)

might as well spawn it to some bulk substrate.

OfflineDr. Penguin
Organic Chemist
Male

Re: Casing WBS [Re: weretheshit]
    #8232591 - 04/03/08 08:47 AM (16 years, 17 days ago)

I would say spawn it to bulk for best results, but they will certainly fruit if all you want to do is case them. I have a cased WBS tray alongside my monotub and its performing nicely, small fruits though. Good luck!

--------------------
Linux Geek

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #8232703 - 04/03/08 09:32 AM (16 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

PsyliChick said:

Mixed field capacity vermiculite (sterilized) with my crumbled WBS cake and let it incubate for a couple of days before casing with a 50/50+ mix?

Like others have said, If you are going to do that, you should just spawn to a bulk substrate.

Ive had great success casing wbs with 50/50 so best of luck to you.

If I were in your shoes id either go bulk substrate or just case it. No reason to spawn to vermiculite, your casing layer will provide enough moisture.

OfflinePsyliChick
Sponge
 User Gallery

Re: Casing WBS [Re: KillerPicklez]
    #8232757 - 04/03/08 09:56 AM (16 years, 17 days ago)

I would like to do hpoo, but I am ridiculously broke... I know I can probably find it free... but I am a little shy and not real keen on the idea of poop.

So, I will leave out the Verm and case with peat/verm and hydrated lime... any thoughts on the benefits of spent coffee grounds? I got lots...

--------------------
All posts are a works of fiction meant to entertain the masses. In no way do they imply that I break any laws, ordinances, or statutes.

OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

Loc: In your Mind, Pedro! In y...
Trusted Cultivator
    #8232910 - 04/03/08 10:56 AM (16 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

If I were in your shoes id either go bulk substrate or just case it. No reason to spawn to vermiculite, your casing layer will provide enough moisture.

Most people who case straight grain, get very bad results, due to the lack of water in their casings. Many trays don't fruit at all and if they do, it's quiet poorly.
There are actually two active threads, dealing with this.
It would be a MUCH better idea, to spawn it to substrate and then case, since the outcome will most likely be a lot better.
you might have had "luck" with your casings, but most of the time, it's a rather bad decision to make.

Invisiblelarge_dose
Melonhead
 User Gallery

Loc: Right in the Middle
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing WBS [Re: Fahkface]
    #8232929 - 04/03/08 11:01 AM (16 years, 17 days ago)

I've added 25% wet verm to straight WBS and had great results.
The nutrients are there, just give it a little more water, it'll fruit fine.
Spawning to a substrate is a better idea though if your lookin to go big.

OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing WBS [Re: large_dose]
    #8232960 - 04/03/08 11:10 AM (16 years, 17 days ago)

It sure does work most of the time, though quiet badly.
Verm is one way to ensure a better moisture content within the casings, though more verm and some substrate material will add more water and more nutrients.

Quote:

Spawning to a substrate is a better idea though if your lookin to go big.

That's the reason why I said what i said. Dealing with real substrates simply increases the possibility of a good result! More than straight cased grains do, which doesn't mean that it can't work. There's just a better way :shrug:

Invisiblelarge_dose
Melonhead
 User Gallery

Loc: Right in the Middle
Trusted Cultivator
    #8232972 - 04/03/08 11:13 AM (16 years, 17 days ago)

that was in reply to the original post, i didnt even see your response above mine.

i guess you had pretty much already covered it.

Edited by large_dose (04/03/08 11:20 AM)

OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing WBS [Re: large_dose]
    #8232996 - 04/03/08 11:19 AM (16 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

large_dose said:
sorry fahk, i was replying to the original post, i didnt even see your response above mine.

i guess you had pretty much already covered it.

No, I wasn't really detailed :wink:

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#8233118 - 04/03/08 11:56 AM (16 years, 17 days ago)

>>>>but I am a little shy and not real keen on the idea of poop.

h-poo isn't hard on the senses, doesn't smell like crap but there may be some ammonia that can be leeched out with a couple weeks in the sun. After that it just smells like fertile soil, almost pleasant actually.

Don't be shy, go get that poo. :grin:

Get a bunch. After it's leeched and dry, store it in tubs and you won't have to worry about substrate for a while.

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free."
~Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Offlineshevanel
Gone til November
 User Gallery

Re: Casing WBS [Re: Rahz]
    #8233131 - 04/03/08 12:00 PM (16 years, 17 days ago)

Another option is 5lb of dehydrated poo from www.mycosupply.com ($11) and get some bricks of coir ($5). The results would be far more impressive than casing wbs, trust me. Mix a little vermiculite in for water retention.

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #8233190 - 04/03/08 12:16 PM (16 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

Fahkface said:
Quote:

Most people who case straight grain, get very bad results, due to the lack of water in their casings. Many trays don't fruit at all and if they do, it's quiet poorly.
There are actually two active threads, dealing with this.
It would be a MUCH better idea, to spawn it to substrate and then case, since the outcome will most likely be a lot better.
you might have had "luck" with your casings, but most of the time, it's a rather bad decision to make.

When I did WBS I started by casing with MGMC and then moved to 50/50, always with great success. I think the other threads may have been insufficient in another area such as FAE, Humidity, or proper lighting. But 1 year of casing WBS isnt luck, its a proven method.

That said I didnt have the best results possible, I agree that would be achieved with spawning to a bulk substrate. But to say casing wbs is a waste isn't quite true.

OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing WBS [Re: KillerPicklez]
    #8233244 - 04/03/08 12:27 PM (16 years, 17 days ago)

Quote:

That said I didn't have the best results possible, I agree that would be achieved with spawning to a bulk substrate. But to say casing wbs is a waste isn't quite true.

That's why I said this:

Quote:

That's the reason why I said what i said. Dealing with real substrates simply increases the possibility of a good result! More than straight cased grains do, which doesn't mean that it can't work. There's just a better way :shrug:

By adding enough layer (to hold the water), even straight cased grains can flush quiet good.
However, spawning the grains to substrate and then case, would bring better results, due to the already mentioned factors.

Quote:

I think the other threads may have been insufficient in another area such as FAE, Humidity, or proper lighting

I doubt that everyone, who didn't get any good results when using straight grain made these mistakes.
It's just a fact that grain doesn't hold enough water to fruit as good as a colonized substrate.
It's not me telling it, it's experience.

Again, using a good amount of casing layer adds quiet a lot of water, making it up a little to the poor water storing qualities fo grains. No question about it.

But grain isn't used as a substrate for a reason.
You can achieve better to much better results, when using it to spawn to water holding substrates. That's all I was trying to say :wink:

Oh, and improper lighting won't result in poor flushes. It's only a pinning trigger (though only side by side with enough FAE) :smile:

OfflinePsyliChick
Sponge
 User Gallery

#8236401 - 04/03/08 11:42 PM (16 years, 16 days ago)

So, I checked out TennStud.com (one of the sponsors, right?) and this might be possible... how many shoeboxes will this take care of if I mix it with straw and case with coir/verm/lime?

--------------------

OfflinePsuper
Psilocybin

Loc: PNW
    #8236441 - 04/03/08 11:51 PM (16 years, 16 days ago)

~If you live in the Northwest I have a great link for free composted manure....otherwise craig's list is always a great spot to check for free manure/compost. :shineon: ~Pixie~

--------------------
Clinical Management of High Dose Psilocybin Sessions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbHOTIqjZLk

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #8236749 - 04/04/08 12:50 AM (16 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

PsyliChick said:

Yes. Use the search engine to search for "rez effect". Just like a BRF/verm cake, the verm will colonize and hold much more moisture than the WBS alone. There's definitely no comparison with spawning to a bulk sub, but the added moisture will help a lot. You can also try coco coir in place of verm. It holds even more moisture than verm and colonizes extremely fast.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #8237235 - 04/04/08 07:08 AM (16 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

PsyliChick said:
So, I checked out TennStud.com (one of the sponsors, right?) and this might be possible... how many shoeboxes will this take care of if I mix it with straw and case with coir/verm/lime?

I'd hold off on TennStud, they've been having delivery problems
feel free to check the service of any vendor in our sponsors forum

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/8145577/an/0/page/1

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag