Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblejellyfish

Bubbler set up
    #8093691 - 03/02/08 01:10 PM (16 years, 20 days ago)

My friend has been using RRs fruiting chamber style with a thick layer of perlite and some holes. But lately (cause of winter) the box has not been able to keep the humidity high enough and he doesn't know what to do.

He has a fish tank air pump and I've searched here about making some sort of bubbler but I haven't really heard anyone say for sure that it will increase humidity or if it's just good for air exchange. He was either going to run the air tube into a water bottle filled with water or a water bottle filled with wet perlite, under the assumption that the air will collect humidity on it's way out of the top of the bottle by passing through the perlite.

He doesn't know if it should be self contained or if the air should come in from outside (in that case I guess he'd need to have it off sometimes). What is the best thing he can do for humidity, he works at home so fanning and air exchange isn't a problem.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMetatron21
Cosmonaut

Re: Bubbler set up [Re: jellyfish]
    #8099570 - 03/03/08 09:08 PM (16 years, 19 days ago)

*bump*

i'm actually in the same situation right now, and was also wondering if a bubbler will increase humidity.

:confused:

--------------------

Offlinezero cool
I'm a bag kindaguy
Male

Re: Bubbler set up [Re: Metatron21]
    #8099599 - 03/03/08 09:16 PM (16 years, 19 days ago)

i always used a fish bubble stone, they are like 1 dollar for two

--------------------
git them mushrooms Mario! git em!

Offlinebuggas
Stranger

Re: Bubbler set up [Re: zero cool]
    #8100000 - 03/03/08 11:02 PM (16 years, 19 days ago)

I use a bubbler right now and boy does it add humidity! My FC went from bone dry sides to sopping wet overnight.

I know that your not supposed to use warm mist, but to boost the initial humidity, i started the bubbler with warm water. It got all the sides wet within an hour, and even after the water and vapor has cooled, and weeks have passed, it keeps them that way. My apt gets down into the 60's at night, mid 70's during the day.

The main difference, however, is that my FC is pretty sealed compared to the holy chamber you have. I'm not sure that a bubbler would add to the humidity with all those holes. Maybe stuff a few with poly-fill or something.

If it were me, even though my experience is very limited, I would cover up the holes on the sides and leave the ones near the top and the bottom ones open. This will help keep in some of the humidity, but also allow the CO2 to escape through the bottom, pulling FA in through the top. Yeah you would still lose humidity, but i wouldn't think as much. It would essentially make it a bit more of a pmp.

Good Luck!:thumbup:

--------------------
There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers from stupid people.

Watch Zeitgeist and Tell Others

Offlinenavyseals101
Stranger
Male

Re: Bubbler set up [Re: buggas]
    #8100011 - 03/03/08 11:06 PM (16 years, 19 days ago)

^ From what I read the other day what causes condensation is a temperature difference between the inside of the FC and the enviroment.

Similar to how it happens to a cars windshield

--------------------
"Ten thousand flowers in spring
the moon in autumn,
a cool breeze in summer,
snow in winter.
If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things,
this is the best season of your life."
            -wumen

InvisibleRickster
El Conquistador
Male User Gallery

Loc: Babylon
Re: Bubbler set up [Re: navyseals101]
    #8100149 - 03/04/08 12:00 AM (16 years, 18 days ago)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thats true! What also is true is temps can be slightly different, but the humidity alone will also cause humidity to condensate on the sides of a fruiting chamber. What I have always done in this type of situation is add a coffee cup warmer with a mug of water and adjusted the temperature to regulate it all.

Offlinebuggas
Stranger

Re: Bubbler set up [Re: navyseals101]
    #8100203 - 03/04/08 12:20 AM (16 years, 18 days ago)

Shit i forgot about that!

yeah, i'll take another look into my technique. I had a real bad problem with that before with a glass terrarium and cold weather.

If it helps, the casing tubs that i have inside the fc are also wet, as well as the middle geolite. You might be right tho. I'll keep an eye out.

--------------------

OfflineMetatron21
Cosmonaut

#8101908 - 03/04/08 02:54 PM (16 years, 18 days ago)

so will a bubbler raise rH???

--------------------

Offlinebuggas
Stranger

Re: Bubbler set up [Re: Metatron21]
    #8102204 - 03/04/08 04:53 PM (16 years, 18 days ago)

I can't guarantee it, but it's happened before.

I don't think it will be a really really significant increase, or if it will do it with any speed, but yeah, the bubbling will help the water to evaporate and then it will get blown into the FC via the pressure.

In the case of the geolite pmp, the bubbling will also help the geolite wick up the water better. So not only do you get the humidity from the bubbler, but the somewhat increased wicking action of the geolite.

In my setup, i have the bubbles being made in a thick glass bottle. I believe that following the pmp tek exactly would most likely perform better than using a separate bubbling chamber; however, in my case, the noise was too loud. In the glass bottle i can barely hear them, and to me it's a bit more relaxing and less awakening when it switches on in the middle of the night.

I say geolite mostly because from what i understand and have read, perlite does very well on it's own with no standing water and no bubbling type effect. The downside i guess is that it's messy. Or so i've heard.

--------------------

Invisiblejellyfish

#8103021 - 03/04/08 07:45 PM (16 years, 18 days ago)

The holes are mostly on the bottom and the perlite layer is really thick so I doubt humidity would be lost through there as the perlite is pretty moist. My friend just filled a bottle of water with wet perlite and runs air in through the bottom all contained in the terrarium. Right now it's impossible to know if it's doing anything since he has no rh meter but he hasn't been keeping it on long either only for like 10 minutes after fanning to try to add a bit of moisture. Once he gets a decent rh meter he'll try it with more tubes/more bottle etc and see what effect it has. His terrarium doesn't seal shut either it's a storage bin from walmart.

Offlinebuggas
Stranger

Re: Bubbler set up [Re: jellyfish]
    #8104080 - 03/04/08 11:37 PM (16 years, 17 days ago)

I'm learning that while the bubbler is okay at maintaining humidity, nothing really beats fanning and misting.

Quote:

My friend has been using RRs fruiting chamber style with a thick layer of perlite and some holes. But lately (cause of winter) the box has not been able to keep the humidity high enough and he doesn't know what to do.

How do you know? You said the hygrometer is crap, so maybe it's not showing the proper RH. I had one of those pet store junk ones that cost 12 bucks, and it rusted in place, and to top it off, never showed the right level anyway. I had a digital one that got too humid inside and just stopped working. Since then, i stopped wasting my money and just eyeball it. I'm no expert, but you can tell when your shit is dry. If you see moisture start to collect on the inside in a few minutes, and get thicker as time passes, then you have a good amount. (You should still mist a couple times a day though)

If your friend is home all the time, he should just stick with fanning and misting, in a non-holy container. It works way better than any automated tek, and it's way cheaper than a mister, fogger, bubbler, air-pump and an irish hooker.

I have a small tub with a casing, and every 2-4 hours i open it, take a peak, have a smell, mist until the surface is moist, fan a couple more times to stimulate evaporation, then close. It takes like 5 minutes, and it's awesome watching the process in real time. I swear, it looks different every time i check it.

You really can't go wrong with manual operation. I hate having to check if the bubbler still has enough water, if the air pump hoses aren't kinked, if the lines are clear of any water dropplets that may have collected and if the air is blowing directly on the projects. Apparently mushrooms don't like air blowing directly on them.

No matter which option you go with (except the mono-tub and other bulk neglect teks), you will still have to do some manual labor. You might as well keep it simple and cut out all the unnecessary.

--------------------

InvisibleBUDDHA_702
Master Mycologist In Training
Male

Loc: Some Country
    #8107029 - 03/05/08 05:00 PM (16 years, 17 days ago)

I use a one gallon juice container with a 50gal air pump & a fogger. the key is to use a 3/8 out put tube not airpump line.

Offlinebuggas
Stranger

Re: Bubbler set up [Re: BUDDHA_702]
    #8229383 - 04/02/08 04:08 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

How's the bubbler going?

--------------------

OfflineVeter
Stranger
 User Gallery

#8230058 - 04/02/08 06:49 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/8196230/an/0/page/0

I recently used this set up and it's worked wonders.
The first flush from just three cakes was over 140 wet grams .
Shotgun FCs have never given me 100% humidity (even with up to 7 inches of perlite). This bubbler candle heater combo brings the humidity up to a level that is probably overkill (if it were physically possible, RH would be over 110%).

Just my two cents.

--------------------
Let the Demons have their place, if so, it's angels you'll create.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale