Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
FAQ 1. Are magic mushrooms safe for me to eat?
    #2974583 - 08/07/04 02:31 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Tripper's FAQ

1. Are magic mushrooms safe for me to eat?

I am going to post the Tripper's FAQ questions one at a time to let people offer their opinions on these oft asked questions. Your input will influence the Tripper's FAQ.

Today's question.

While answering this question, I want to look at general safety of healthy magic mushrooms grown indoors. I also plan to discuss the dangers of wild shrooms in this essay. Finally I would like to discuss the risks of doing stupid things while on mushrooms.

If nobody has died from a bad reaction to mushrooms, I want links to prove this fact.

Please offer answers information, links (Shroomery links are especially great... Erowid and other sites are also helpful) and anything else you can think of.

I will then post a rough draft of the answer and links in this thread before adding it to the FAQ document itself. Feel free to help out. Even by simply answering the question in your own words.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Edited by Rose (04/02/08 03:41 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Tripper's FAQ ?#1. Are magic mushrooms safe for me to eat? [Re: Rose]
    #2974741 - 08/07/04 05:22 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Wasson in his article "I ate the sacred mushroom":

We think the mushrooms have no cumulative effect on the human organism. Eva Mendez has been taking them for 35 years, and when they are plentiful she takes them night after night.

http://www.imaginaria.org/wasson/gordon.htm

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
Re: Tripper's FAQ ?#1. Are magic mushrooms safe for me to eat? [Re: Xlea321] * 1
    #2974769 - 08/07/04 06:02 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Here in New Zealand, there have been reports of bad physical reactions resulting from people ingesting shrooms which have been sprayed with various agro-chemicals. I'll try to dig up a link on it if I can find it - think it was mentioned in John Allens 'MM of Au & NZ' at erowid among other places.

Another thing to note is that fungus in general, including magic mushrooms, have a tendency to absorb whatever chemicals are in their substrate. So if you're picking shrooms from contaminated ground, there is a chance that contamination may also be in the shrooms.

The solution to this is simple in theory but not necessarily in practice. And that is - KNOW YOUR SOURCE. The safest option (physically, not necessarily legally) would be to grow your own on 100% organic substrates. Next safest would be to pick from remote areas where its not likely shrooms will have been sprayed. Exercise caution when picking in urban areas or on farms with heavy chemical use - look for obvious signs such as strange spray residues on the shrooms themselves, un-naturally deformed / wilted shrooms, etc. If purchasing shrooms, it pays to ask if they are homegrown or not, and whatever else the dealer is willing to tell you about the species of shroom, and if they were of a known source. Doesn't mean you have to ask who they got them off or where they picked them, just be safe, and use your common sense.

Another thing I would add note to is there have been MANY reports around the globe (again sorry no links but I have even experienced this firsthand) with people ingesting woodlover shrooms and having adverse physical reactions (nausea, muscle and abdominal cramping, unpleasant bodily sensations) which has in some cases caused people to think that they have eaten the wrong shroom and (maybe fatally) poisoned themselves. This is nothing to worry about provided you're sure that it was infact a psilocybe shroom species you ate. The species I've heard this reported for are Ps. Azurescens, Ps. Cyanescens, and Ps. Subaeruginosa. Not all specimens will have the adverse reactions and it is also seemingly dependant on age of specimens (both when picked and since picked), location, and a variety of other factors. I use a general rule of thumb that non-woodlover shrooms usually provide a 'smoother' trip with less bodily discomfort than woodlovers.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: Tripper's FAQ ?#1. Are magic mushrooms safe for me to e [Re: zee_werp]
    #2989553 - 08/11/04 02:13 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

From The Shroomery General Mushroom FAQ
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/24401

Has anyone died from eating mushrooms?

While tolerance develops with psilocybin, there is no physical or psychological dependence, overdose potential, or possibility of addiction.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: Tripper's FAQ ?#1. Are magic mushrooms safe for me to e [Re: Rose]
    #3440944 - 12/03/04 02:39 AM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Gonna' go through the Discussion threads of the Tripper's FAQ again, so people have an extra chance to express their shroom smarts. The questions have been re-numbered, and now progress in a more logical order.

Please feel free to add to this discussion, and check out what has already been posted in the FAQ. Feel free to change or edit anything you don't like, or wish to add to the FAQ.

Here's what the FAQ has to say so far about this topic.

Enjoy.

Special Thanks to EllemyshShade, Blinkidiot and Anno for their help in making this answer what it is so far. I am quite pleased.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Invisiblejux
I'm better thanan STD!

Re: FAQ 1. Are magic mushrooms safe for me to eat? [Re: Rose]
    #3459625 - 12/07/04 12:44 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

As far as long term mental effects go this is a subject for debate and has no clear cut answer.

should be:
Quote:

As far as long term mental effects go, this is a subject for debate and has no clear cut answer.

:::EDIT:::

Quote:

Also, you build an immediate tolerance to them after ingestion, preventing you from experiencing their effects more often then every 4-5 days at least.

Confusing wording and lacks some good information. Would be better as:
Quote:

Also, there is an immediate rise in tolerance after ingestion. This effectively prevents the user from experiencing the full effects of the drug in the immediately following days. A much larger dose is required each subsequent day in order to achieve the same level of trip intensity each day. After three day binges, most users are unable to trip the following day. At least 4-5 days are required for ones tolerance to go down completely. However, it is considered a healthy practice to space trips out. Many persons recommend waiting about a month between mushroom trips. This will preserve the uniqueness of each trip and allow time to process each trip thoroughly.

--------------------

Edited by jux (12/07/04 12:58 PM)

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: FAQ 1. Are magic mushrooms safe for me to eat? [Re: jux]
    #3459766 - 12/07/04 01:12 PM (19 years, 4 months ago)

I will take that into account... BUT... did you know YOU CAN EDIT THE PAGE YOURSELF? Just open the page in the FAQ, and click EDIT PAGE, you can EDIT it yourself, just like editing a post here at The Shroomery.

I'll give you a day or so to try it, then, if needed, I will change it myself.

Thanks for the edits!

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

#8229299 - 04/02/08 03:47 PM (16 years, 17 days ago)

Hey everybody. I have decided to bump a few of these old threads...

Also, the Tripper's FAQ has moved... so I wanted to post the new links.

Tripper's FAQ

Please add to the discussion and feel free to check out the Tripper's FAQ!

Can anybody add info for this topic?

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Edited by Rose (04/02/08 04:01 PM)

Offlineo0brandnewcolony
PsychedelicEnthusiast
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Upstairs...
    #8229647 - 04/02/08 05:02 PM (16 years, 17 days ago)

I think it's important for those ingesting them to have a complete awareness that they are NOT harmful, physically.

I am a strong believer that much of illness is a product of your own mind.

Tripping with others I have seen people, who mind you are prone to this sort of thing anyways, proclaim they are feeling somewhat ill and before you know it this mental "poison" has spread.

The mind is incredibly creative, learn to control it and you will find bliss.

--------------------

LSA Extraction Pictorial

Keeping my spirit alive.

OfflinePhonerothyme
Audiomancer
Male

Re: FAQ 1. Are magic mushrooms safe for me to eat? [Re: o0brandnewcolony]
    #8230376 - 04/02/08 08:02 PM (16 years, 17 days ago)

If you research the alkaloid content of these mushrooms and the LD50s determined for various lab mammals, you shall discover that one literally would have to literally consume many times their own body weight in mushrooms in order to overdose on the active constituents.

--------------------
http://erothyme.net

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Re: FAQ 1. Are magic mushrooms safe for me to eat? [Re: Phonerothyme]
    #8230540 - 04/02/08 08:28 PM (16 years, 17 days ago)

Here is the current answer... as posted in the Tripper's FAQ

Psilosybin mushrooms are very edible and SAFE to eat.

Tripping, on the other hand, can occasionally impact your mental health.

There are no known long term physical effects from ingestion of mushrooms containing psilocybin and psilocin.

As for long term mental effects, this is a subject for debate and has no clear cut answer. Tripping can be a profound experience. And far more often than not, the experience is a very good one.

Long term mental effects from extended high dosages are quite seldom, but they may include some cognitive impairment and HPPD (Hallucinogen Persisting Perceptual Disorder) and possibly some emotional liability due to effects on the Serotonin system. Usually temporary, these fade with cessation of use over a period of a few months.

Also, people with dormant mental illness may bring their illness to the surface prematurely by tripping. Mushrooms do not cause mental illness, but they can draw it to the surface. Trip with caution, and eat small doses until you know your tollerance.

Keep in mind that psychedelic mushrooms are non-habit-forming and that the desire to use them actually decreases with use. They are therefore self-regulating. Also, you build an almost immediate tolerance to them after ingestion, preventing you from experiencing their full effects more often then every 4-7 days at least. Many think it can take months without tripping before you can feel the full effects again.

Studies have shown that over years of occasional use, the average user notices no apparent change in his/her physical or mental condition that would be considered detrimental.

Does this answer work for you?

Is anything missing?

Anything that could be stated more clearly?

Any misinformation?

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Edited by Rose (04/02/08 08:52 PM)

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

#18285575 - 05/18/13 09:37 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Time to bring this back.

Please keep contributing and let's make it better.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlinebishlap
Po Thead
Male

#18285635 - 05/18/13 09:55 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

:durrhurr:
I love it

as far as the tolerance bit I would keep it short sweet and to the point, but i also agree the original should provide a better description but not one that requires much thought

also I disagree with this , this seems subjective because tolerance and loss of magic are the only things keeping me from tripping a lot more, but less 'often' is more.

" Keep in mind that psychedelic mushrooms are
non-habit-forming and that the desire to use
them actually decreases with use. They are
therefore self-regulating."

--------------------
"If you're not worried that you took way
to much, you didn't take enough" -
Terrence McKenna

There is no soul, only the ego dies.
The body was never yours.

InvisibleShroomopotamus
Happy Mushrooming
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Funkotron
    #18285865 - 05/18/13 10:53 PM (10 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Cervantes said:There are no known long term physical effects from ingestion of mushrooms containing psilocybin and psilocin.

This is outdated.

Mushrooms are the healthiest things one could possibly ingest.

--------------------
Live by the mushroom, die by the mushroom
:mushroom2::rainbowdrink:
This is a trap! A trap! You are all busted! Busted! You fools!
:twirlyface:

If a time comes where I fail to appear I've been abducted and I will miss you all
Please smile and pet puppies as often as possible
Be happy
Be nice
(<3);}

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures