Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAgent 47
Male

Loc: Western PA Flag
Maintaining Hardwood Log Instead Of Jar Growing?
    #8219247 - 03/31/08 12:46 PM (16 years, 1 day ago)

Hey, I Am New To This Board But Find It Very Helpful And Find The Members To Be Helpful Instead Of Attacking Or Rude. But Anyway, To My Question.

I Live In Western PA and am newly fascinated with mushrooms, not only psilocybin and how they have changed my life in a positive way, but the organism as a whole. I wanted to know if anyone, instead of growing the mushrooms in a jar, has ever maintained a hardwood log that the mushrooms are known to grow on. (Is there anything to do to assist development?). Also, could you take the horse dung from the farm, with permission, to a different location and have the mushrooms still grow?Yesterday I went on a little blunt walk throught the woods and I found some very promising locations for the Psilocybin caerulipes. I also remeber seeing the Gymnopilus spectabilis when I was younger running through the woods, but Im planning on staying away from those as all the pictures seem to be different and Its a little intimidating for a novice like me.

I want thank to Shroomery.org and all its members for all the valuable information on the mushrooms.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblekoraks
Re: Maintaining Hardwood Log Instead Of Jar Growing? [Re: Agent 47]
    #8219346 - 03/31/08 01:07 PM (16 years, 1 day ago)

I don't know of any successful attempts to 'maintain' an existing log, I suppose it has been tried though. Please note that from the common actives, only gymnopilus species will fruit directly from a log. Other woodlovers such as ps. cyanescens usually fruit most prolific from (hard)wood debris (rotting twigs, wood chips).

I also believe that most (experienced) hunters will prefer to trust on Mother Nature to bring new fruits to a known patch without human interference. Not because it would be better, but simply because it's easier that way...woodlover patches are known to bear fruits for years and years, only to disappear for sometimes unfathomable reasons. Go hunting often enough, and you may find several patches, yielding more than enough shrooms to keep you supplied for a year.

I suppose that if you want to cultivate mushrooms outdoors, maintaining a patch of hardwood chips is the easier way to go. There are some teks around here to transplant mycelium from freshly picked ps. cyanescens onto pasteurized wood chips using cardboard as an incubator substrate (check here or here). On an appropriate location and with proper care, your patch can start fruiting within a year and bear fruits for years.

If you insist, I assume that log can be maintained as well (providing you find one that is colonized with an appropriate species such as gymnopilus junonius). I'd try to keep it humid during most of the year, maybe let it dry out a bit for a month of two during the summer. Prevent it from overheating in the summer; try to keep temperatures to below 100F. Leave it alone as much as possible and wait for the right fruiting conditions to occur. If your lucky, your log may fruit again. If you're not, you either screwed up and killed the colony or your species has been overrun by another fungus or an infection.

Is this helpful in any way?

Edited by koraks (03/31/08 01:10 PM)

Invisiblelandsnorkler

Loc: Montana
Trusted Identifier
Re: Maintaining Hardwood Log Instead Of Jar Growing? [Re: koraks]
    #8219606 - 03/31/08 02:03 PM (16 years, 1 day ago)

you could also potentially transplant mycelium from an existing log into another log by extracting a small amount of mycelium from a log and adding it to another acceptable species of log, either by drilling into that log and inserting mycelium or by axe chopping some openings and patching in mycelium.

Also, if conditions are dry and not productive for mushroom fruiting, you can bring home a known fruiting log and provide the proper conditions to induce fruiting, although as Koraks said, gnerally nature knows best.

Check out the gourmet and medicinal mushrooms forum for techniques, and check out the cultivation archives for woodlover teks.

--------------------

OfflineAgent 47
Male

Re: Maintaining Hardwood Log Instead Of Jar Growing? [Re: landsnorkler]
    #8221414 - 03/31/08 08:07 PM (16 years, 1 day ago)

As I assumed I guess, I figured the best would be to just let them be.

BUT I got lucky today by talking to the right person at the right time. I was playing basketball today down the park and this kid I've known him for a while and had known that his father owned a tree service company. And It never really clicked for me that once he removes the trees he has to do something with them. To make a long story short, we go on a lil blunt cruise out of town and he says I gotta go to my dads dump real quick. We get down there and there are MASSIVE decomposing mulch piles over 15 feet tall about 50 feet wide and about 200 feet long, and the oak and pine mulch is separate. There was smoke coming off the piles,hot to touch, it smelled like burning mulch it was decomposing so fast or something. Do you think that might be too rough for the mushrooms? I could make my own lil pile if I wanted to he said I could, Should I make a smaller one so it isn't so intense?
To make things better there was a giant pile of top soil fertilized with horse manure his dad had for the lawn. The soil is over a year old though so it wouldn't grow the Panaeolus subbalteatus since its not fresh?

And finally we passed an area that we call around here the "Wet Lands" but basically It's just a massive marsh-like area. Would that be good for mushrooms I figured it would be. And along the river under the bridge there's driftwood and shit all over the beach type thing. Sorry for the long post I get carried away some times haha

Invisiblelandsnorkler

Trusted Identifier
    #8221577 - 03/31/08 08:37 PM (16 years, 1 day ago)

-To make things better there was a giant pile of top soil fertilized with horse manure his dad had for the lawn. The soil is over a year old though so it wouldn't grow the Panaeolus subbalteatus since its not fresh?

Nope, that should be ok, although Panaeolus subbalteatus doesn't grow in every manure pile.

-And finally we passed an area that we call around here the "Wet Lands" but basically It's just a massive marsh-like area. Would that be good for mushrooms I figured it would be. And along the river under the bridge there's driftwood and shit all over the beach type thing. Sorry for the long post I get carried away some times haha

You just have to get out there and look man.

--------------------

OfflineAgent 47
Male

#8221645 - 03/31/08 08:49 PM (16 years, 1 day ago)

Ok sounds good to me, I see you live in montana but maybe someone else or even you could be able to provide this answer as I'm getting very anxious. It's been low 60's here with lil bit of rain here and there. It's 62 now and it's quarter till 11. When do you think it would be best to start looking?, At the end of april, or like when its starts consitently getting around the 80's?

Invisiblelandsnorkler

Trusted Identifier
    #8222321 - 03/31/08 10:52 PM (16 years, 1 day ago)

When you start seeing mushrooms popping up in lawns is generally a good time to start looking. It's probably still a little too early in western pennsilvania to start looking right now. But, you really just have to get out there and look. That hairdo probably won't help either.

--------------------

OfflineAgent 47
Male

#8223529 - 04/01/08 09:13 AM (16 years, 18 hours ago)

HAHAHA...It's a wig lol, don't really wear that, just got bored in school one day and saw it in the back of my English class.

Invisiblelandsnorkler

Trusted Identifier
    #8223582 - 04/01/08 09:27 AM (16 years, 18 hours ago)

People think you're crazy enough just bending over in peoples yards and in front of malls and shit, picking small brown things up, haha, that wig would just be too much, but hilarious.

On a more serious note, conditions suitable for subb fruiting vary greatly, and vary depending on your location too. Generally the warmest, and wettest part of the year is the best. That's why it varies. Here that time period falls between the beginning of may and end of june, there it may start earlier and end later, depending upon how much moisture you're recieving. Some places, like SoCal, where the Subbedhunter roams, you can find them year round in lavishly cared for lawns. Generally, in mid to northern US the spring months of april through june are the best months for subbs, but given the proper conditions, they will definitely fruit outside those months. Hopefully that helps a little bit. But I'll stress again, just get out there and cover as much territory as possible! Make note and take pictures of as many fungi as possible, and eventually you will find what you are looking for, and learn when the time is ripe in your area for specific species.

--------------------

OfflineAgent 47
Male

#8223616 - 04/01/08 09:37 AM (16 years, 18 hours ago)

Sounds Good To Me, Thanks For All The Help Everyone, Seems Like I Got A Little Longer Wait To Go, Its Been Mid 50's And Raining For About A Week Now, I Know That's Too Cold, But I'll Be Out Everyday On A Blunt Walk With My Friends Lookin' For Good Spots. I Just Can't Wait! HaHa

OfflinePinheadX
Stranger thanyou
Male User Gallery

Loc: TX Gulf Coast
    #8224796 - 04/01/08 03:41 PM (16 years, 11 hours ago)

definitely check out the gourmet and medicinal mushroom forum, as there are many teks for growing mushrooms like Shiitake which need conditions somewhat similar to Gyms.

--------------------
If you want to find psilocybin in species that are not yet known to be psychoactive, you should do chemical tests. That way you won't get sick and die all the time.
- Alan Rockefeller

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
- Philip K. Dick

OfflineAgent 47
Male

Re: Maintaining Hardwood Log Instead Of Jar Growing? [Re: PinheadX]
    #8225650 - 04/01/08 06:36 PM (16 years, 9 hours ago)

Does Anyone Know About The Decomposing Mulch Pit?, Even Though The Temps Have Not Been Too High (Mid 50's - Low 60's) Do You Think Since The Mulch Was So Warm, Almost Hot, That They Could Be Growing Now. Or Is It The Outside Temperature That Determines That?. I Briefly Skimmed Through The MASSIVE Pile So Undoubtedly If There Were Any I Would Have Missed Them. I Have Been Wanting To Go, But It's A Pretty Good Ways Out Of The City And I Don't Want To Drive Out There For No Reason. I Know There Is No Way To Know For Sure If They Are Growing Or Not Besides Taking The Time To Look, But What's The General Consensus Of The Board? No?

OfflinePinheadX
Stranger thanyou
Male User Gallery

#8226289 - 04/01/08 09:21 PM (16 years, 6 hours ago)

composting mulch reaches temps of 120F. It's not likely that much will survive that, however, I have found cubensis fruiting in manured mulch before... you can search my threads for cubes found in mulch. (I live in an area where those are a native species. You won't find them in PA)

Either these didn't get that hot, or the manure was added after the hardwood composting process.

You aren't likely to find anything in that mulch at the present time, but hardwood mulch in the fall might be a good place to look.

--------------------
If you want to find psilocybin in species that are not yet known to be psychoactive, you should do chemical tests. That way you won't get sick and die all the time.
- Alan Rockefeller

- Philip K. Dick

OfflineAgent 47
Male

#8226335 - 04/01/08 09:32 PM (16 years, 6 hours ago)

So You Think My Best Bet This Summer/Late Spring, Is To Just Look Through Horse And Cow Dung (I'll Have Permission, I Have A Way Of Charming People LoL). There Is Also A Buffalo Farm On The Way Out There. Now I Don't Know If I Want A Buffalo Chasing Me But Do You Think That Would Be Good. Just Imagine The Size Of That Shit HaHa

Invisiblelandsnorkler

Trusted Identifier
    #8226361 - 04/01/08 09:38 PM (16 years, 6 hours ago)

In PA for subbs stick to lavishly cared for yards, newly sodded yards, piles of horse manure mixed with hay and stable shavings that farmers pile up, and rotting hay bales. You're unlikely to find them growing in manure that hasn't been piled up into big heaps mixed with hay and stable shavings, or cow or buffalo manure.

--------------------

OfflinePinheadX
Stranger thanyou
Male User Gallery

#8226383 - 04/01/08 09:44 PM (16 years, 5 hours ago)

you don't need to be looking in dung. You need to be looking elsewhere.

unfortunately with the site redesign (from hell), I can't point you exactly to where to look.

so I guess I have to do the homework for you...

In the finding mushrooms FAQ on this site, there is a page on which mushrooms grow in which areas. Here's what you need to be looking for. Search for info on the following species to find out where to start looking for them and when.

Pennsylvania

Gymnopilus aeruginosus
Gymnopilus junonius
Gymnopilus luteofolius
Panaeolus subbalteatus
Psilocybe caerulipes
Psilocybe ovoideocystidiata
Psilocybe semilanceata (very rare)

--------------------
- Alan Rockefeller

- Philip K. Dick

Invisiblelandsnorkler

Trusted Identifier
    #8226424 - 04/01/08 09:52 PM (16 years, 5 hours ago)

your best bets on that list would probably be G. luteofolius, G. spectabilus, which isn't on the list, but I'm sure grows there, it's also very weak, Panaeolus subbalteatus, and the ever elusive Psilocybe caerulipes or ovoideocystidiata. They all have different habitats, so research up!

--------------------

Edited by landsnorkler (04/01/08 09:54 PM)

OfflineAgent 47
Male

#8226459 - 04/01/08 10:02 PM (16 years, 5 hours ago)

Thanks, But That Was The First Thing I Looked At When I Joined, What Grows In My Area And When. I'm Currently Reading "Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World" Where It Gives Great Detail About Those Mushrooms Minus The Ovoideocystidiata. I Was Just Always Told To Look For Mushrooms Growing Off The Cow "Patties"

If I Was To Mix The Dung And Hay Together And Form My Own Heap, Would I Then Be Set? I Have Access To Anything Farm Animal Related. Including Making The Optimal Environment.

I Remember Walking Through The Woods Near My Grandmas Where They Logged It Last Year To See The Difference And I Remember Seeing All These Giant Orangish Yellow Mushrooms On All The Stumps Which I Think Now Might Have Been The Gymnopilus spectabilis. So I Think I'll Be Able To Find A Bunch Of Them. I Just Don't Know How Much I'm Gonna Have To Eat, I've Been Trying To Find A Thread Where It's Mentioned. I've Only Ate One Kind Of "Magic" Mushroom Before And I Don't Know What It Was, I Just Know That The Stems Were White And The Caps Were A Faded Yellow (I Bought Them $40 Dry). I Ate A Cut, Don't Know What Level Of "Trip" It Was Considered But It Was Fun LoL

And On A Side Note, I Thought It Was Just My Browser Or Something That Was Acting Up, I Was Getting Pissed, I Thought I Did Something To The Settings.

Edited by Agent 47 (04/01/08 10:05 PM)

OfflinePinheadX
Stranger thanyou
Male User Gallery

#8226486 - 04/01/08 10:10 PM (16 years, 5 hours ago)

like I said, the ones on dung in your area aren't active.

You probably bought cultivated Psilocybe cubensis. That is the most common cultivated active mushroom.

--------------------
- Alan Rockefeller

- Philip K. Dick

OfflinePinheadX
Stranger thanyou
Male User Gallery

#8226492 - 04/01/08 10:12 PM (16 years, 5 hours ago)

there is a dosage calculator on this site.

--------------------
- Alan Rockefeller

- Philip K. Dick

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate