Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinewatchoutnow
mind'sonrecord/itsbeingviewed
 User Gallery

Hard drive lacking GB space *Concluded (It actually really doesn't lack as much)...
    #8115405 - 03/07/08 09:57 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

hi i bought a hard drive from newegg. here it is.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136178
and my hard drive is actually only 325 GB of capicity space. And I was really wondering why that was. It says its suppose to be 500 GBs. But i dont know. Maybe I should return it. Thats what I was advised. Just want some more thought on this. Is it because of the Fat32 NTFS thingy. I don't know. I'm going to call newegg on monday because its friday and im too chill right now to be in a service mood. Alright ya'll later.

Edited by watchoutnow (03/31/08 12:38 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Hard drive lacking GB space [Re: watchoutnow]
    #8116666 - 03/07/08 04:11 PM (16 years, 24 days ago)

I would check the model number on the drive itself with the model number listed to make sure they were the same. I've had people return smaller products (memory usually) in larger packaging. Unlikely, as 325 is an odd number for a drive. Either it has already been partitioned, or it is defective. The max size of a FAT32 partition is OS dependent. Microsoft limits write/create to 32GB, though the spec allows for larger partitions. Microsoft will still read the larger FAT32 filesystems. Typical arm twisting forcing people towards NTFS. Bow down to your monopoly and like it. With NTFS or any unix filesystem you shouldn't have a problem with limits.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#8118757 - 03/08/08 04:31 AM (16 years, 23 days ago)

i would return it. 500GB hdd should show as 460(ish) after formatted.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
    #8119155 - 03/08/08 08:56 AM (16 years, 23 days ago)

How old is your motherboard? Type?

I needed to update the BIOS because it didn't support large drives and showed up as a smaller drive, twice.

Offlinewatchoutnow
 User Gallery

Re: Hard drive lacking GB space [Re: Annom]
    #8140112 - 03/13/08 01:12 AM (16 years, 19 days ago)

dang my laptop is actually with my bro but i had a bookmark of where I got my motherboard and case which came together so I'll get back to you on that one when my laptop gets back. but dang this sucks I'm going to have to backup everything i got right now just to get the harddrive I want. My whole computer is actually brand new from newegg. I'm pretty impressed by how technology is advancing cuz I'm investing about a grand everytime I buy a computer every 4 to 5 years...

Well I'm going to give newegg a call about the harddrive because I ordered one that was like at least 150 gigabytes bigger. I hear newegg provides free return shipping?... Well I'll get back to you guys on these results.... Unlike my mushroom grow with double tubs that were thrown out when all my things went into the trash by my loved ones.... Oh well. Later.

--------------------
I quit. Touch it.
"My views ain't changed to live humane wait" -Eminem
"Ya'll make me too rounded and I'm addicted, WTF I'm drunk. Wtf I'm high. Wtf I'm... Not sober... Sober block." -me crazily self.
"From that what, knowledge of self - determination!" -Blackstar
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Ever since I got braces shit gets stuck in my teeth.
Make me *** bitch!

Offlinewatchoutnow
 User Gallery

Re: Hard drive lacking GB space [Re: Seuss]
    #8140150 - 03/13/08 01:34 AM (16 years, 19 days ago)

oh yeah and seuss
I checked the model number and will call and ask about it tommorrow. Microsoft shit I'm truly fed up with and wish I could code linux with a workable flow. But anyways the drive label even says it is 500 GB so I think it's defective or just like that. I might not even return it because I don't want to deal with backing all this crap up. I was so excited about how fast this computer went when I got it. Its a intel 2 dual core 2.88 GHZ and its blazing.

Hard drive aren't even that expensive so I could always just buy another. I will definitely complain to newegg or western digital about the false advertising. Hmm if it is the Bios limiting I'm not sure how I'll mess with that. The only thing I see is if it reconigzes the dang drive.

I'll see how this all goes so let me get back to ya'll with an update.

--------------------
I quit. Touch it.
"Ya'll make me too rounded and I'm addicted, WTF I'm drunk. Wtf I'm high. Wtf I'm... Not sober... Sober block." -me crazily self.
Make me *** bitch!

Offlinewatchoutnow
 User Gallery

Re: Hard drive lacking GB space *Concluded (It actually really doesn't)... [Re: watchoutnow]
    #8217702 - 03/31/08 12:36 AM (16 years, 1 day ago)

Well I caught a virus that restricted me from surfin certain sites such as my email and social sites and I decided to back everything up and reformat. I'm pretty glad too that I had to reformat now that everything is done because now my drive equals 465 GB! Close to the 500 mark for this western digital cavier that was pretty cheap, 100 bucks.

I had a program called phoenix recover pro 6 that came with my asus motherboard and I installed it when I first got my computer not too long ago and it took away 130 GB! It was only a demo but it had an untouchable partition for backing up my files. I tried to crack it but it looks like its out of service and have no idea why I even got the cd.

So yeah I'm pretty happy I had to do all this reformatting and having close to half a TB. It's nice.

Alright ya'll this is settled.

-WON

--------------------
I quit. Touch it.
Make me *** bitch!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds