Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblematits
Problematic Pain
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Midwest USA
Calling all electrical engineers!
    #8194295 - 03/25/08 10:39 PM (16 years, 6 days ago)

I have been inspired to make a magnetic stirrer and was wanting to incorporate a heating element to it to warm the plate while it is stirring.

I went on-line to a supply shop and got a few parts that I needed that I was sure about. I added them all up and was wondering how to hook it all up. Here is my design and thought process into it. Tell me what you think.

I originally was thinking of just having 120Volts coming into the box and then have it wired to a "master" power switch. Then from there I was going to have a switch for the electric motor with the magnet attached to it. I wanted to have the pelteir device to warm the plate. The problem thus far is. I have 120v coming into the box. Everything in the box will run off of the 120v ac. The only problem is the pelteir device. It wants 12v DC. I have looked for a simple converter or voltage regulator but I can't come up with anything. IF you want a parts list I can get it for ya.

So far what I am thinking is I might have to get a transformer of some sort to change the AC to DC and then from there either the transistor would either come out with 12 V or then I would have to get a voltage regulator.

Any (intelligent) responses welcome. I state that cause here lately I have been getting people telling me to use the search function and say it is already answered. Then send me to a page that has NOTHING to do with what I am asking. My deal is really a case by case question. With my setup...not everyone else's. With that said. I want to use an electric motor with a potentiometer (probably a 50k resistor one) to adjust the motor speed so I can ramp the magnets speed up and down and have a nice wide range of control.

I was wanting to have a switch for the main power.

A switch for the heat.

And a switch for the motor on/off

Then have control knobs for both the motor and the pelteir device. That way I can push the max amps/volts into the heater to adjust the heat level required for whatever I am doing. It will be just a dummy indicator not a real exacting temperature.

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get it all hooked in together. I can't figure out how to get the 12VDC from the 120 Circuit.

If I can't get it figured out and if worse comes to worse. I can redesign everything to run off of DC from the wall.

Which do you think would have the best efficiency?

Thanks...

Matits

--------------------
---        ---
    Matits
---        ---
--------------------

Anything Matits says or insinuates is a lie and is totally constructed of lies. It is a fairy tale and should be taken at face value. Matits makes things up that are untrue. Any picture or statements made by Matits are made up or fabricated... like Trump's wig.

My favorite NSFW shirt company I buy a ton of shirts from.
http://tiny.cc/myfavshirtsite

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Calling all electrical engineers! [Re: matits]
    #8194309 - 03/25/08 10:42 PM (16 years, 6 days ago)

You can get 12V DC power supplies off of ebay real cheap.

Do you really want to build it yourself for fun? Because hot plates with stirrers would probably be cheaper on ebay than to make yourself as well.

Invisiblematits
Problematic Pain
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Calling all electrical engineers! [Re: DieCommie]
    #8194378 - 03/25/08 11:00 PM (16 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
You can get 12V DC power supplies off of ebay real cheap.

Do you really want to build it yourself for fun? Because hot plates with stirrers would probably be cheaper on ebay than to make yourself as well.

Well I was wanting to build it cheaply. I saw online that they were like 200+ dollars. I looked on ebay but all of theirs look rusted and old. Plus a lot of them were governmental surpluses and they weren't fully tested. They say they weren't tested and that they were sold as it. So I don't want to buy a piece of shit and then get it here for 30 dollars and think it is a good deal when in reality they sold me a lemon but was sold as is.... so I get stuck paying for a 30 dollar paper weight that was once used by a government facility.

If you see one that you think is awesome and a great deal then send it my way. PM me.

--------------------
---        ---
    Matits
---        ---
--------------------

Anything Matits says or insinuates is a lie and is totally constructed of lies. It is a fairy tale and should be taken at face value. Matits makes things up that are untrue. Any picture or statements made by Matits are made up or fabricated... like Trump's wig.

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
    #8194431 - 03/25/08 11:13 PM (16 years, 6 days ago)

Most of the 200 ones have a five year warranty.

Do you won;t a link to a good lab supper ?..

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit! Flag
    #8194442 - 03/25/08 11:15 PM (16 years, 6 days ago)

Why would you use a peltier device unless you wanted to heat AND cool. How much did it cost?

Yeah, DC power supply is the ticket.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleDieCommie

#8194452 - 03/25/08 11:16 PM (16 years, 6 days ago)

Im not sure what you want to do, so I dont know how many amps your power supply needs...  Here is a cheap one with variable voltage out http://cgi.ebay.com/COBY-UNIVERSAL-AC-DC-ADAPTER-1000mA-1-5V-12V-6-PLUGS_W0QQitemZ170203133642QQihZ007QQcategoryZ88758QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
1000mA max.

Im sure nearly anyone of these hotplates would have been good http://search-completed.ebay.com/search/search.dll?GetResult&dfsp=32&catref=C6&sofocus=so&sabfmts=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&ftrv=1&ftrt=1&fis=2&fcl=3&fsop=32%26fsoo%3D2&fpos=85201&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&from=R2&satitle=hot+plate&sbrftog=1&sacat=26231%26catref%3DC6&saobfmts=insif&sadis=200&guest=1
Looks like you could get one for $100 if you are patient, probably the easiest way out.

OfflineD4NK
Omni-Potent
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: A Different Parallel Real...
Re: Calling all electrical engineers! [Re: DieCommie]
    #8194469 - 03/25/08 11:19 PM (16 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
Im not sure what you want to do, so I dont know how many amps your power supply needs...  Here is a cheap one with variable voltage out http://cgi.ebay.com/COBY-UNIVERSAL-AC-DC-ADAPTER-1000mA-1-5V-12V-6-PLUGS_W0QQitemZ170203133642QQihZ007QQcategoryZ88758QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
1000mA max.

That's pretty sweet.  I might just get one for the hell of it. +5

--------------------
  Moderation is key 

"There is no god higher than truth." 

Invisiblematits
Problematic Pain
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Calling all electrical engineers! [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #8194514 - 03/25/08 11:30 PM (16 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
Why would you use a peltier device unless you wanted to heat AND cool. How much did it cost?

Yeah, DC power supply is the ticket.

The American Science Surplus store has them for like 15 bucks or so. They have 2 models. One with a heatsink and one without. Would there be an easier way to just get heat without having too much heat inside the box?I guess I could run some thin insulation. Or get one of those thermal pads from edmund scientific. They are also shock absorbent.

--------------------
---        ---
    Matits
---        ---
--------------------

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
    #8194516 - 03/25/08 11:30 PM (16 years, 6 days ago)

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Invisiblematits
Problematic Pain
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Calling all electrical engineers! [Re: Brainiac]
    #8194587 - 03/25/08 11:44 PM (16 years, 6 days ago)

That one is way expensive. Thanks for looking out but the one I threw together was looking more around 60 shipped with extra parts for a few other projects I have I want to get going. With that said.... building one is way more economical than buying a brand new one.

Someone said that DC was where its at. Should I just rethink the whole design and just make it from scratch with DC to begin with? I really don't need it to be powered AC like an air conditioner. It is just to gently mix things for the most part. So with that said. Rebuild it with DC in mind?

Also, I don't really have to use the Pelteir for the heating element. I just saw it and thought it was kick ass. I could use another heating element it you guys know of anything that is more efficient. I am putting it in a box so lets not get too hot. The box I have picked out right now is plastic with a metal top. I could get some thermo pad stuff from Edmunds Scientific. Then It would be shock resistant and thermally sound. That was I can keep the heat to the plate and the electronics cool.

Also. Anyone know where I can get a good enclosure for the thing. I kind of want an all metal design. It will transfer more heat through it that way and it won't melt.

--------------------
---        ---
    Matits
---        ---
--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit! Flag
    #8194653 - 03/25/08 11:56 PM (16 years, 6 days ago)

Nah, for $15, that's not bad. Can you reverse the polarity to make the hot side cold & vise versa?

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Invisiblematits
Problematic Pain
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Calling all electrical engineers! [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #8194681 - 03/26/08 12:01 AM (16 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
Nah, for $15, that's not bad. Can you reverse the polarity to make the hot side cold & vise versa?

not sure....

Here is a really cheap one..

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/PJT-7/450/40MM_X_44MM_THERMOELECTRIC_COOLER_.html

Here is the list of the two they offer there.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category/450/Peltier_Junctions.html

--------------------
---        ---
    Matits
---        ---
--------------------

Invisiblematits
Problematic Pain
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8196530 - 03/26/08 01:21 PM (16 years, 6 days ago)

Well in search for redesign I decided to go back to the instructables web site that actually got me to thinking about the hot pad portion of the device.

So when I went to their page, they have already built the one I think will work the best. It also uses thepelteir device and it already has a parts list. I think I will still order some extra parts and still incorporate what I want out of it. Like the 2 pot switches for motar speed and heat control as well as multi switches to have a master on/off as well as independent motor/heater switches so that they can be turned on independently as to have the heater portion turned on or I can have the motor on to stir. That way it doubles as both. If I decide later on to use it for something else then I can still use the hotplate, or just the stirrer. Although I doubt I ever would use it for anything else. It still would be cool to have in case in the future I should decide to use it. I don't think the device will get EXTREMELY hot anyways. So if I really needed a true hotplate I would probably have to get a portable electric burner or shell out a few dollars on ebay for a hotplate.

Also. I was thinking. None of these designs ever listed have fuzes in them. I am sure that a true laboratory one has one on them. I think usually they are on the back as a push button reset breaker like switch.

Any ideas on that? If I do decide to do that....shouldn't I put it on the main switch. Have it in line with the main power circuit? That way if something draws too much from the circuit would shut it all down. I would prolly want a trimmer though so I can adjust it so that if it is a little too much it won't always trip. Once again...all thoughts are welcome.

I really appreciate everyones help so far. It has been a great help to me especially getting the creative thought process going.

The web page for the instructables is.

http://www.instructables.com/id/SOZOIYXFABDYSUU/

-matits

--------------------
---        ---
    Matits
---        ---
--------------------

Invisiblematits
Problematic Pain
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8200068 - 03/27/08 04:44 AM (16 years, 5 days ago)

If anyone knows where I can get a nice metal box to house the stirrer pleas point it my way. I have been looking at real stirrers and real stirrers with hotplates in it. They all run on 110-120v and are usually aluminum and some are ceramic tops. I am looking for a box to house the electronics and also be able to handle "some" heat. I don't plan on making it uber hot or anything. I am wanting to make it warm a little. not melt aluminum or anything like it. If I feel like it when I get the ball rolling, I will probably end up getting this pad and using it to shield the parts from the heating element while still allowing my super strong magnets to move the stirring device.

I haven't purchased any of the materials as of yet. I get payed Friday and I think I am going to get my parts list going and draw up a quick schematic and see if I can't get this ball rolling. If worse comes to worse... I will just go to a lumber yard and get some metal and fashion a piece of metal into a box. I really really don't want to do that but I have seen some boxes before and could try to replicate what a stirrer looks like. Although I am unsure if I can actually craft it.

Here is the link to the pad I was referring to:

http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_3037000

--------------------
---        ---
    Matits
---        ---
--------------------

Invisiblematits
Problematic Pain
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8202903 - 03/27/08 07:17 PM (16 years, 4 days ago)

Hey I think I found the perfect box. It would give me more than enough room. A .50 cal ammo can anyone?

It has a sealed gasket and is all metal (minus the gasket.

--------------------
---        ---
    Matits
---        ---
--------------------

Invisiblematits
Problematic Pain
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8202906 - 03/27/08 07:17 PM (16 years, 4 days ago)

pictures really soon

--------------------
---        ---
    Matits
---        ---
--------------------

Invisiblematits
Problematic Pain
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8208531 - 03/28/08 10:02 PM (16 years, 3 days ago)

Here's some pics of some stuff. I still need to take more. I have to work in the morning, so I don't know if I will do a whole "photo shoot". Who knows I may. I will go ahead and post a couple of shots of what I have and I will see what I can get accomplished. I will be getting home later tomorrow so... It may even be Sunday afternoon. I will be home at around 4ish CST.

See ya then. I am all excited now. I scrapped the whole "heating" bit [for now.] I made it to where I can add it later with minor finagling.

Is it God in my fridge?

Any the faithful watchdog. As long as you have food he won't bite. He is the only one who knows.

Recognize the fridge? It is the warmer fridge from thinkgeek. I really thought it did pretty good for cooling and it said that it holds warm temps for a long time after it is shut off. I decided to use it as my incubator. So far it seems to be doing a nice job. I wouldn't just go run out and by it just for an incubator, but I like it.

--------------------
---        ---
    Matits
---        ---
--------------------

Invisiblematits
Problematic Pain
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8211402 - 03/29/08 06:02 PM (16 years, 2 days ago)

Damn! I put it all together. Glued everything the way I wanted. Then the damn magnet was TOO interested in the metal of the can. So "note" to anyone interested in using an ammo can. You may have to cut a hole in the can where you want the magnet to go. I think I will try a plexi window and a hole over the fan. That way there is no "attraction" between the magnet and the can.

All it wanted to so way stay in one spot. The motor kept clicking and nothing happened. I nudged it and that didn't even do anything. So I ripped the glue out and I pulled the fan out and tried it without the can there...and it worked.

Now I will go back to the drawing board. I don't have a router or a dremel or anything like it. I may have to invest in one. Instead of a computer fan though,I may just buy a motar and the whole gig.... or just buy a stirrer/warmer off ebay.

--------------------
---        ---
    Matits
---        ---
--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order