Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTumbz
Fee Fii Foo Fum

Loc: Thailand
Using Hydroton/Geolite To Humidify Instead Of Perlite?!
    #3066064 - 08/29/04 05:38 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Ok, im am wondering if this would work.

I read up on a tek that uses Hydroton rocks submerged under 1 inch water with an air pump to humidify.

I was wanting to use Hydroton rocks to humidify for a long time now and i was wondering if i could just use Hydroton rocks the same way i use Perlite?

With Perlite, everyone just drains excess water and lay it right on the bottom of chamber.

Can i also do this with Hydroton? Wet it and sterilize it with like a Bleach Mix, then drain all excess water and throw it on the bottom of my chamber with NO AIR PUMPS.

Can i have some suggestions?

THanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinescape
II
Loc: somewhere but not where y...
Re: Using Hydroton/Geolite To Humidify Instead Of Perlite?! [Re: Tumbz]
    #3066491 - 08/29/04 07:43 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Honestly i dont think this would work quite so well... you would have stagnat water their with no form of dispursion. Like with perlite their isnt any stagnant water. which makes it ideal, the idea of perlite is to increase your surface area for evaporation creating a higher humidity. So honestly your best bet with NO pump is going to be pearlite IMO.

OfflineTumbz
Fee Fii Foo Fum

Re: Using Hydroton/Geolite To Humidify Instead Of Perlite?! [Re: scape]
    #3068140 - 08/30/04 06:21 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

You didnt read my post.

Im talking about using Hydroton just like Perlite.

With no AIR PUMPS or Standing water.

Offlineatomic1
enthusiast
Male

Loc: Appalachia
Re: Using Hydroton/Geolite To Humidify Instead Of Perlite?! [Re: Tumbz]
    #3068748 - 08/30/04 11:05 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Well you're going to have to have water in there.  If you just rinse off the geolite and drain the excess water, then all you got is whats on the geolite itself.  How long is that going to keep the RH up,2-3 days?  Fill your geolite to appx. 4" and your water to 3-3.5".  Get a cheap air pump for $8 and bubblestone something for another $2.  Thats it.  :goodluck:

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Using Hydroton/Geolite To Humidify Instead Of Perlite?! [Re: atomic1]
    #3069708 - 08/30/04 03:06 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Tumbz, scape did read your post and posted correctly. If your not using air pumps then your best bet is to use perilite. Geolite doesnt give off moisture, its only used so that the humidity and air from the air pumps can get out better (as opposed to using perilite with the airstones then air wouldnt get up as much). I think the prices atomic listed are a bit low but its worth it whatever you pay :smile: And if airpump is out then stick with Perilite.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Edited by scatmanrav (08/30/04 09:43 PM)

OfflineTumbz
Fee Fii Foo Fum

Re: Using Hydroton/Geolite To Humidify Instead Of Perlite?! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3070163 - 08/30/04 04:57 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Ohh ic.

thanks everyone :laugh:

OfflineSkekTek
Lurker
Male
Loc: South Florida
Re: Using Hydroton/Geolite To Humidify Instead Of Perlite?! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #8206536 - 03/28/08 02:03 PM (16 years, 4 days ago)

Hi. I'm new to cultivation myself, and I saw this post. I'm making my first attempt in a couple weeks when my spores get here. My question is, is there any benefit to either perlite or hydroton(expanded clay)?

I've read alot about cool mist and ultrasonics, but I want to start simple and work my way up. I already have an air pump, would you recommend a particular method of humidifying for a noob?

Thanks,
Skek

OfflinePsyliChick
Sponge
 User Gallery

Loc: In the Middle
Re: Using Hydroton/Geolite To Humidify Instead Of Perlite?! [Re: SkekTek]
    #8206562 - 03/28/08 02:10 PM (16 years, 4 days ago)

In my somewhat limited experience, I have used both Hydroton and Perlite. The Hydroton was not as messy as the Perlite... I used about 3-4" of Hydroton and 1-2" of water (no air pump)in my fruiting chamber with good results and fanning 5-6times a day... However, I highly recommend swithing to a Martha's Closet once you get your feet wet! Remember, there is no RIGHT way! It's a little bit here and a little bit there... figuring it out is half the fun!

--------------------
All posts are a works of fiction meant to entertain the masses. In no way do they imply that I break any laws, ordinances, or statutes.

OfflineSkekTek
Lurker
Male

Loc: South Florida
Re: Using Hydroton/Geolite To Humidify Instead Of Perlite?! [Re: PsyliChick]
    #8207550 - 03/28/08 05:49 PM (16 years, 4 days ago)

Hmmm. Yeah I kind of thought the Hydroton would be little easier than the perlite. Plus I already have the air pump, and I can't be at home to fan my fruit chamber as much. So I think an air pump would also give me a little air exchange while I'm at work during the day.

I definitely think it's half the fun learning how to do this, and I tend to get a little deep in my hobbies. What started this whole idea was a trip to Amsterdam last October...and then a few trips while I was in Amsterdam, haha. :wink:

Cheers!

Offlinebuggas
Stranger

Re: Using Hydroton/Geolite To Humidify Instead Of Perlite?! [Re: SkekTek]
    #8211154 - 03/29/08 05:07 PM (16 years, 3 days ago)

I just re-read and apologize if this is too long.

In my limited experience...

I have a 12 gal tub with some geolite and water in the correct ratios. I was using an air pump for a 15 gal tank. I had it running 24 hrs a day; however, i still got mildew. Even with the pump, I still had to fan to keep that air moving or else mildew would set in.

I'm not too impressed with the geolite because it seems more of a hassle to have to clean constantly (via water change or other). Not to mention that i was still fanning and misting anyway to keep the cakes moist and mildew at bay.

Just to try something new, i made a 3 cake casing and kept it in a small, 5 liter tub and fanned and misted about 3 or 4 times a day. No pump, no geolite nothing complicated.

Low and behold, the cakes in the PMP got cobweb, the geolite got mildew, and the individual tub worked perfect.

My point is that sometimes geolite and a pump just aren't enough to get that air moving. I've considered doing the shotgun style FC with some perlite, but i'm hesitant because perlite seems to be even messier by nature than geolite. Not to mention i have a shedding furball and disgusting carpets.

I've had such good luck with the small (relatively sealed) casing that I really feel that the best way to go, at least IMO, is to rig up a monotub of sorts. This allows me to still make easy PF+ cakes (so no pc is needed, yet), you can spawn the cakes to coir+ (because i can't get hpoo, but i can get just about everything else suppliment wise) and you can come out with some decent grows (as opposed to a couple of cakes).

Pumps can be quiet, but bubbling through water in a pmp IS relatively loud. Geolite is cleaner than perlite, but it still needs to be cleaned (esp if mildew sets in from in adequate ventilation), and worst of all, you are still going to need to fan and mist every now and again. To me that kind of defeats the purpose.

A well built and planned "PF style monotub" is leading me to believe that it's the best way to grow a lot from a little. Especially since monotubs can, and probably should, be left alone as in some of the bulk neglect teks, and they do fine. You could go on a month long vacation and it would probably be ok.

From there, it's just a matter of buying a PC and switching substrate and/or casing materials.

If you disagree, please don't flame me. This is just the way i see things working out.

--------------------
There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers from stupid people.

Watch Zeitgeist and Tell Others

Edited by buggas (03/29/08 05:09 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags