Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: ultimate grow closet extravaganza [Re: bigred]
    #8203497 - 03/27/08 09:02 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Marthas are basically portable closets with shelves inside. Search mush cult for "martha closet" and you'll find some good examples. Also do a google search for "portable closet" for some more ideas.

Don't count out mono tubs though. I like the martha concept, and the mono tub concept, so I bought some modular shelving, and that's where my four mono tubs sit. I've got forced FAE and dial adjustable RH which I can use to rehydrate the tubs after a flush, but straight mono tubs would be easier.

I'd like to do a couple mono tubs using tyvek instead of polyfill, and see if I can find the optimal air exchange. If so, I might just do straight mono tubs. You can't really beat them when it comes to effort involved.

An advantage in using tyvek over polyfill is that I would feel good about continuing to rehydrate the casings using an ultrasonic and a timer switch. It would be an easy matter to find the right timings so that I could hook a tub up for a set amount of time after a flush, and then return it to the shelf.

Just some ideas. In a 5x5 room, you could fit three shelving racks with 12-15 shelves, for 12-15 mono tubs. One strong fluorescent in the center of the room, and a fan below, blowing upwards. Each closet will have a natural amount of circulation, but even modest circulation should result in a dry room.

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemalabar
Stranger

Loc: in your sisters pants
Re: ultimate grow closet extravaganza [Re: somebody041]
    #8208209 - 03/28/08 08:38 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

This should be the last question on this topic. In regards to the Martha closet, I have heard of people using an ultra mist for 15 minutes on and 45 off in conjunction with a cool mist that is on at all times for fresh air. But I have also heard of people using a cool mist inside the chamber and perlite under the bottom shelf. What technique works better and what are the pros and cons of the two.

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: ultimate grow closet extravaganza [Re: malabar]
    #8209295 - 03/29/08 04:45 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

In my experience I simply ran a coolmist with a hose and let it run 24/7. That was I dont have to fuss with timers. Also I had a hard time finding a rubbermaid that my greenhouse actually fit in.

There is no definite timer cycle, every cool mist/ultra sonic is going to be different.

To make the hose connection simply take a 5/8'' drill bit and drill a hole on the top of the coolmist, then take your garden hose and run it from the cool mist to the greenhouse. This provides constant FAE and keeps the humidity between 92-99%.

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: ultimate grow closet extravaganza [Re: KillerPicklez]
    #8210408 - 03/29/08 01:41 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I have read:

That a cool mist -inside- the FC will provide high humidity without needing other sources of moisture.

In my experience:

A cool mist vented into a FC will not push the RH above 80% unless there is another moisture source. It will dry your casing out, quickly or slowly, depending on the ambient RH, level of FAE, etc. Even a supplemental mister will have trouble keeping casing moisture high, and I'm not a fan of spraying stuff down all the time. It's not great for the mushies, and it's time consuming.

A cool mist vented into a FC, supplemented with an ultrasonic provides plenty of humidity. The caveat with the cheap timers, is that 15 minutes of an ultrasonic at a time might be way too much humidity, depending on circulation and FC size.

If you're willing to spend 80-90 dollars, you can buy one of these:

which will allow you to have full control over humidity levels. Highly recommended!

--------------------
rahz

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: ultimate grow closet extravaganza [Re: Rahz]
    #8210426 - 03/29/08 01:44 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I vented a Vicks V400 into my greenhouse using a garden hose and never had problems with humidity. It was always between 92-99% rH and never had problems with casings drying out either. The only maintenance I ever had to do was a bi-weekly cleaning of my cool mist to keep orange slim from building up and fucking up my cool mist.

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: ultimate grow closet extravaganza [Re: KillerPicklez]
    #8210542 - 03/29/08 02:13 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

That's good to hear. I've never done a martha, but I know that a Vics (with restricted air flow) will still dry out a tub or three. The air droplets are big, and flow out with the exhaust, and with tubs, there's nothing to inhibit air flow... but with a martha, there's plenty of resting places for the droplets to mix well and raise RH before being exhausted.

Still, I've seen growers recommending ultrasonic supplementation in marthas, so I suspect there are parameters that need to be considered on a case by case basis.

BTW, if you put a couple cap fulls of 3% H2O2 in with the water when you fill the humidifier, you won't need to clean it anymore. Least, that's what worked for me. It's dilute enough to not bother the mushrooms, strong enough to keep the Vics from being suitable for growth.

--------------------
rahz

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: ultimate grow closet extravaganza [Re: Rahz]
    #8210578 - 03/29/08 02:21 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I tried using the H2O2 but I still seemed to have slime build up, especially around the impeller area. It wasnt that big of a problem for me to clean it occasionally. Plus I have heard of way too many people having their cool mist motors burn out on them for not regularly maintaining them. I ran mine 24/7 for 6 months straight with no problems.

Ive got to try a monotub, Ive been slacking but would like to do one big grow before I go back to school in August.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate