Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery

Loc: Gallifrey
Learning to ride
    #8180368 - 03/22/08 04:28 PM (16 years, 10 days ago)

So like, gas ain't getting any cheaper. Work ain't getting any closer either, not anytime soon anyway. So I'm thinking, it may be a good, forward thinking, idea to learn to ride a motorcycle. More specifically, to buy one and start riding. The problem is, I've only even been *on* a motorcycle a few times in my life, never actually driven one myself. Hell I haven't even ridden a bicycle in years, though I never had any problems with those, heh.

I called my pops and asked him, since he rides. He said some of the local colleges/uni's probably have some short classes you can take where they provide a bike to use during class and show you all the basics, etc then afterwards you get your motorcycle license as well, which sounds pretty swell. His recommendation for a bike was a Honda Shadow as it's not some crotch-rocket, which I wouldn't want anyway, nor is it some huge megalith uber-road-cruiser.

Anyway, I was wondering what people's opinion on the above advice is, as well as a request for any additional advice. For reference, it would primarily be used for a to-from work situation, which is ~25mi pretty much all freeway. I work a pretty early shift, 5a-2pm so traffic won't be super bad. I do live in Arizona though, it's already mid 80s this time of year so.. yeah, it will be hot as fuck no doubt.

help :smile:

--------------------
Happiness is a warm gun...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMrReedz
Stranger

Re: Learning to ride [Re: unbeliever]
    #8180406 - 03/22/08 04:44 PM (16 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

unbeliever said:
So like, gas ain't getting any cheaper. Work ain't getting any closer either, not anytime soon anyway. So I'm thinking, it may be a good, forward thinking, idea to learn to ride a motorcycle. More specifically, to buy one and start riding. The problem is, I've only even been *on* a motorcycle a few times in my life, never actually driven one myself. Hell I haven't even ridden a bicycle in years, though I never had any problems with those, heh.

I called my pops and asked him, since he rides. He said some of the local colleges/uni's probably have some short classes you can take where they provide a bike to use during class and show you all the basics, etc then afterwards you get your motorcycle license as well, which sounds pretty swell. His recommendation for a bike was a Honda Shadow as it's not some crotch-rocket, which I wouldn't want anyway, nor is it some huge megalith uber-road-cruiser.

Anyway, I was wondering what people's opinion on the above advice is, as well as a request for any additional advice. For reference, it would primarily be used for a to-from work situation, which is ~25mi pretty much all freeway. I work a pretty early shift, 5a-2pm so traffic won't be super bad. I do live in Arizona though, it's already mid 80s this time of year so.. yeah, it will be hot as fuck no doubt.

I am taking my Motorcycle instruction class that provides: Basic-Intermediate instructions on riding and operating a motorcycle and, Prepares for and administers the written exam for licensing. I got in touch with this class through my Motor Vehicle Division. So, if the college in your area does not offer a class you can always contact your MVD and they can point you in the right direction.

OfflineIrdamage
Autobot

Loc: Canada
Re: Learning to ride [Re: MrReedz]
    #8180463 - 03/22/08 05:02 PM (16 years, 10 days ago)

Too many downfalls for me personally, couldn't use it in the winter, or harsh weather. Seats two at most with no place to throw my crap or haul things with. A big death potential... none for me thanks.

OfflineChubba
Vape hungry

Re: Learning to ride *DELETED* [Re: unbeliever]
    #8180528 - 03/22/08 05:20 PM (16 years, 10 days ago)

Post deleted by Chubba

Reason for deletion: Deleted

Offlineimpgl
CrimethINCspecial agent
 User Gallery

Loc: california!
Re: Learning to ride [Re: Chubba]
    #8180547 - 03/22/08 05:28 PM (16 years, 10 days ago)

msf riding course. but i never took one. i just bought a bike, learned what the controls did, hopped on, and road. if you know how to drive a manual transmission and ride a bike, you should be okay. but i hear the msf riders course helps out a lot.

--------------------
omg really?

Invisiblenalyudi
he runs about
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Oak Savanna Region
Re: Learning to ride [Re: impgl]
    #8180813 - 03/22/08 06:50 PM (16 years, 10 days ago)

i just hopped on and learned as i went. i dont suggest that though. also avoid gravel roads at all cost. if you just want if for work driving just get a cheap wind jammer. you could find one for probably 500 bucks easy. but after riding a while you'll love it and want something different. i only had a little over a month to ride last year and i put over 5000 miles

Offlineimpgl
CrimethINCspecial agent
 User Gallery

Re: Learning to ride [Re: nalyudi]
    #8182478 - 03/23/08 03:09 AM (16 years, 9 days ago)

yeah i had a spill on loose gravel once with a girl on the back. i fucked up her jeans, but we were all right.

--------------------
omg really?

InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
    #8182495 - 03/23/08 03:21 AM (16 years, 9 days ago)

i've been thinking the same thing recently. infact i almost bought a used one off of craigslist last week, but someone else got it first. it was a buel blast, which is owned by harley. they're apparently great bikes to learn on and they get 70 mpg on the highway. whenever i see another used one i think i'll try to get it. besides saving money in gas i think it would be a good skill to know, and i also think it would be a lot of fun too!

Offlineimpgl
CrimethINCspecial agent
 User Gallery

Re: Learning to ride [Re: JonnyOnTheSpot]
    #8182509 - 03/23/08 03:31 AM (16 years, 9 days ago)

im getting rid of my gsx r when i get back to california in a couple of months, if anybody wants to buy it.

--------------------
omg really?

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #8182529 - 03/23/08 03:44 AM (16 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

unbeliever said:

Im going to have my mothers boyfriend teach me as well. I too live in Arizona, I dont know that I would ride on the freeways here at all, but theres plenty of room to go around them, atleast where I am.

Luckily we already own 2 street legal dirt bikes, so all I need to do is learn how to ride.

Do you have to have a special license to ride a motorcycle here? We never did in Michigan but Ive only lived here for 3-4 months

OfflineColbadol
Reality Mechanic
Male

Re: Learning to ride [Re: KillerPicklez]
    #8207830 - 03/28/08 06:56 PM (16 years, 4 days ago)

then save up enough for this:

oh sexy beast. oh evil temptress.

--------------------

Offlinemisterdogman
Educationalresearcher ofthe Shroom
Male

Loc: International Waters in a...
    #8208283 - 03/28/08 09:00 PM (16 years, 4 days ago)

Look into a "Riders Edge" Course it is offered at many HD shops. And a Honda Shadow is a good choice to start with. They are nice, dependable, there is several sizes to choose from and it is a good bike to learn on.
If your serious and you do learn and become confident you will soon find you want to ride all the time. Since it is so hypnotic and trance inducing. That may be why they call riding "Lazy Mans Zen"
There is no effort to get there. Just hop on and ride fast and youve acheived it. Good luck and hope you find what you are looking for.

--------------------
While driving my overpowered car around tight corners like a maniac all my friends yell out. Hey man slow down, we might Wreck. I reply, Shut up, I drive like Dale Earnhardt. They all look around at each other and laugh. Then one asks me. Hey wait, isnt he dead? Well yeah he is I said. Then I drive like Junior I mumble, while I promptly slow down.
"Everyday is opposite day. Everything I say is opposite of what you think I am saying. So if I say something and you think I mean one thing it is the opposite of what I am really trying to say. I actually mean another thing other than what you are thinking I am saying. Get it? Good because that's what I meant".
"You may defeat me, you may even destroy me, But you will never CONQUER me"!

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: Learning to ride [Re: misterdogman]
    #8208297 - 03/28/08 09:06 PM (16 years, 4 days ago)

My dad has a Honda Goldwing..

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Offlinemisterdogman
Educationalresearcher ofthe Shroom
Male

Loc: International Waters in a...
Re: Learning to ride [Re: JonnyOnTheSpot]
    #8208306 - 03/28/08 09:08 PM (16 years, 4 days ago)

Those Blasts are good learners. Actually theyre great.. Right at 500cc and kinda crotch rockety but WAY more ergonomic. All Buells are also engineering phenoms. The Gas is in the frame right by your crotch and the oil is in the swing arm by the rear tire and they are perfectly balanced mirror images right to left. Very well built. The upper models like Lightningbolt and Thunderbolt etc are 1100 or more CCs and a handful. But theyre built with the same gas tank and oil tank features, there is no TANKS, its all in the frame. Pretty cool looking, fast and fun bikes there in a Buell. But this is coming from a HD salesman of 7 years which I do on Cycletrader and Ebay for Zylstra HD. Good money on the side just for answering emails and selling an american classic.

--------------------
While driving my overpowered car around tight corners like a maniac all my friends yell out. Hey man slow down, we might Wreck. I reply, Shut up, I drive like Dale Earnhardt. They all look around at each other and laugh. Then one asks me. Hey wait, isnt he dead? Well yeah he is I said. Then I drive like Junior I mumble, while I promptly slow down.
"Everyday is opposite day. Everything I say is opposite of what you think I am saying. So if I say something and you think I mean one thing it is the opposite of what I am really trying to say. I actually mean another thing other than what you are thinking I am saying. Get it? Good because that's what I meant".
"You may defeat me, you may even destroy me, But you will never CONQUER me"!

InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Loc: Daylight Slavings
    #8208482 - 03/28/08 09:52 PM (16 years, 4 days ago)

I guess it depends on your style, but a "cruiser" style bike like the Shadow is a nice starter bike. However I had one of those style bikes and I outgrew it very quickly and found myself wanting a crotch rocket. :smile: Now several bikeless years later I am buying a 2008 CBR tomorrow. I am excited. My advice is take the course and get a bike that you wont outgrow too quickly.

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Learning to ride [Re: Colbadol]
    #8209298 - 03/29/08 04:49 AM (16 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

Colbadol said:
then save up enough for this:

oh sexy beast. oh evil temptress.

That is fucking sexy. Right now I have a KLR250 and a KLR650.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom