Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Invisibleappleorange
Rainbow Technician
 User Gallery

Loc: Reykjavík
Why Do Old People Dress Well?
    #8198574 - 03/26/08 08:18 PM (16 years, 24 days ago)

For young people still capable of making babies, I guess one obvious motivating factor would be to look nice for the opposite sex.

But what about the old farts out there? Why are they still giving a damn?

I've got a teacher, whose about 70, he seems really fashion conscious and was what partly inspired this thread.

:strokebeard:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Why Do Old People Dress Well? [Re: appleorange]
    #8198816 - 03/26/08 09:08 PM (16 years, 24 days ago)

Well, the habits you get into as a youth carry on into old age.

Plus he probably doesnt have anything better to do.

Also, people already look down on the elderly, dressing snappy may get him more respect, which Im sure he wants.

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: Why Do Old People Dress Well? [Re: appleorange] * 1
    #8198963 - 03/26/08 09:36 PM (16 years, 24 days ago)

What I really love is when you see some dude and think "wow, that hipster has mad style" and then realize he's 85.

Invisibleappleorange
Rainbow Technician
 User Gallery

Re: Why Do Old People Dress Well? [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #8199079 - 03/26/08 10:00 PM (16 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

NiamhNyx said:
What I really love is when you see some dude and think "wow, that hipster has mad style" and then realize he's 85.

girl, don't even get me started on this 60 year old mail lady I've had my eye on. :smirk:

but seriously, there has got to be something more to the whole image thing than attraction. andy warhol who claimed to be asexual was a very fashion conscious man and just look at how many parents dress up their kids.

me being sick and laying around the house has really done a number on my worthy philosophical pursuits...

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#8199141 - 03/26/08 10:12 PM (16 years, 24 days ago)

Looking good is a matter of establishing social status and presenting a social identity. It definitly goes beyond sexual attraction. How we present ourselves aesthetically is one of the major ways we express our identities to the world around us. I for one would feel like a total weirdo in flared or baggy jeans. They have to be tight and tapered.

OfflineOzekat
Cosmic Observer
Male

Loc: Kentucky
    #8199314 - 03/26/08 10:48 PM (16 years, 24 days ago)

Ahh, yes indeed, NiamhNyx.

I subconsciously dress in earthy colors (usually shades of green) and look like a tree that forgot to go back to its damn forest. I can't help it, either. nomatter how hard I try my pants will be light in color and my shirts correspond with them. Sometimes I look like a dweeb but I care not.

I don't think clothes matter that much, I'll be damned to find the day I actually give two shakes of a twiddle spick about my fashion sense.

--------------------
Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are.
- Chinese Proverb

:teleport:

:yinyang: Beauty & Simplicity

Invisibleappleorange
Rainbow Technician
 User Gallery

Re: Why Do Old People Dress Well? [Re: Ozekat]
    #8199356 - 03/26/08 10:58 PM (16 years, 24 days ago)

haha,

ozekat, at least you can sling around cute words, that definitely compensates for not dressing up :sun:

well. i don't think the reason why we dress has anything to do with representing ourselves personally. if that was the case, I would be walking around in monastic robes.

we dress according to body image, skin tone, and age. we don't take identity into factor at all, more so what will make us look our best. our identity is something that naturally will shine through though in the clothes we choose to wear.

OfflineOzekat
Cosmic Observer
Male

Loc: Kentucky
    #8199380 - 03/26/08 11:03 PM (16 years, 24 days ago)

:mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

cute words, eh?  you must be referring to my dweebspeak

thanks though :musicnote:

--------------------
Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are.
- Chinese Proverb

:teleport:

:yinyang: Beauty & Simplicity

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#8199449 - 03/26/08 11:15 PM (16 years, 24 days ago)

I didn't mean that fashion is a means of self expression or any of that bullshit. I meant that clothing is a means of showing one's social position- what social group one belongs to, etc. Style separates people into subcultures so that they can more easily select who to hang out with based on assumptions about that person's interests and worldview.

OfflineMindGorilla
Stranger
Male

Loc: Detroit
    #8199616 - 03/26/08 11:51 PM (16 years, 24 days ago)

dress good

look good

feel good

Invisibleappleorange
Rainbow Technician
 User Gallery

#8199633 - 03/26/08 11:55 PM (16 years, 24 days ago)

I don't doubt that social status could be a powerful drive for a lot of people, but I've got this inkling that something else is at the bottom of it.

Why do we dress our kids up? Why do Bush tribes in Africa feel the need to tie cattail weeds to their foreheads? Why does fashion emphasize youth? Youth seems like something more correlated with nature than social status. I'm ordering some books on fashion psychology along with some books on anarchy (the latter inspired by niam :grin:) and maybe that will give me a better idea. For now I'm gonna catch some zz's.

Offlinedrewlovesacid
its thestrangest lifeive everknown.....
Male

Loc: michigan
    #8199684 - 03/27/08 12:10 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

im a teen and i dont "dress well"

i dont really know why anyone would really ...

--------------------
i constructed you, fuck you

InvisibleCameron
Too Many Words
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #8199695 - 03/27/08 12:12 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

This reminds me of a documentary I half-watched recently, called 'The Century of the Self' (video below). It's about the affect of several of Freud's theories on modern day American consumer culture and how his (and his nephew's - Edward Bernays) ideas basically shaped our government and business world as we know it today. The film underlines some of the key events and ideas which Edward Bernays used to transform consumerism from a system based on needs to a system based on desires, and the evolution of modern day fashion, which was propagated as a new form of self expression for the working class. This change took place in the early twenties, so the rise of consumerism (fashionable self expression being a major player) would certainly coincide with the birth date of many of our grandparents, and likewise, I agree that those habits carry on into adulthood and old age (not to mention the fact that this idea of self expression through the clothes on our back has become ingrained into our culture to such an extent that most people don't even think twice about it).

From my personal experience (high school), fashion is INCREDIBLY prominent when it comes to social interaction. Judgment passes at first glance much of the time, and social cliques tend to dress exactly the same (unless their thing is that they dress completely apart from everyone else). Well, we've all been through high school - I don't think I need to go into that.

Invisiblewishcouldeletethis
Female User Gallery

Loc: georgia
    #8199736 - 03/27/08 12:29 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

i dress like old people and use a cigarette holder when i smoke. this gives me instant intellect superiority complex, i mean status.

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#8199870 - 03/27/08 01:30 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

There probably is more to it than just showing social position, but that's definitly an element. The way one dresses signifies all kinds of concepts. Dorky glasses, slightly unkempt tapered jeans, chuck taylors and suit vests mean 'artistic' and 'intellectual.' Dreads, earth tones, natural fibres, and crystals mean 'peaceful' and 'spirtual.'

So it's social position and worldview. When it comes down to it, it's about showing that one shares the values and interests of the social group to which one belongs. Even people with the simplest 'style' choose it more or less consciously, to show how little they care about fashion, because, of course, thier social group is critical of the fashion industry, or the beauty standard or something. Of course I'm not trying to belittle anyone for that, just defending my thesis here.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Why Do Old People Dress Well? [Re: NiamhNyx] * 1
    #8200084 - 03/27/08 04:58 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

NiamhNyx said:
There probably is more to it than just showing social position, but that's definitly an element. The way one dresses signifies all kinds of concepts. Dorky glasses, slightly unkempt tapered jeans, chuck taylors and suit vests mean 'artistic' and 'intellectual.' Dreads, earth tones, natural fibres, and crystals mean 'peaceful' and 'spirtual.'

I highly doubt that these different styles "signify" these identities. They sound much more like your own projections.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: Why Do Old People Dress Well? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #8200435 - 03/27/08 08:48 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

They are projections, but I didn't invent them. Certain clothing symbolizes certain values and interests to others. The function of it is weeding through people to get straight to the ones you think you're gonna relate to. Don't even try and convince me that you don't make any assumptions whatsoever about what a person may be like based on how they present themselves. It's not even a conscious thing most of the time. And for the record, I'm not advocating it, I'm observing it.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Why Do Old People Dress Well? [Re: NiamhNyx] * 1
    #8200490 - 03/27/08 09:05 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

NiamhNyx said:
They are projections, but I didn't invent them.

Does the fact that you've been conditioned to be presumptuous validate one's projections as being accurate? :strokebeard:

Quote:

Certain clothing symbolizes certain values and interests to others.

Beyond the blatantly obvious, like how seeing someone wearing a Metallica t-shirt could possibly mean that the individual digs Metallica (it doesn't automatically follow, clearly), how are values expressed through clothing? I think I'm simply seeking elaboration here....

Quote:

The function of it is weeding through people to get straight to the ones you think you're gonna relate to.

It certainly seems to be a pretty ineffective function. :shrug:

Quote:

Don't even try and convince me that you don't make any assumptions whatsoever about what a person may be like based on how they present themselves.

The real question is which assumptions do we draw from the fabrics that humans choose to adorn themselves with. I draw no conclusion regarding how an individual chooses to dress beyond the fact that they have chosen to dress that way. I don't see how an individual could successfully discern much meaning beyond that.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#8200516 - 03/27/08 09:14 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

I never said the assumptions were necessarily accurate. I simply argued that the function of style is to project certain values into the world, to make oneself appealing to a particular social group...

Is it really so ineffective? When was the last time you saw a group of wildly different looking people hanging out together? People place themselves in categories, like it or not.

Like I said, I'm not advocating it, I'm observing it. This is the whole point of there being different styles of dress.

How are values expressed through style? Well, what assumptions are you gonna make about a big muscly guy wearing military fatigues, a giant cross necklace and a crew cut compared to a scrawny guy with tight jeans, nerdy glasses and old chuck taylors, or how about a woman who flattens down her breasts, wears baggy clothes and cuts her hair really short? These assumptions can be fluid and willing to bend, but they are unavoidably there nonetheless.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#8200590 - 03/27/08 09:32 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

NiamhNyx said:
I simply argued that the function of style is to project certain values into the world, to make oneself appealing to a particular social group...

Well then, you seem to be suggesting that everyone dresses themselves, as they do, to project certain values to others. My argument is that this is not true, and reality supports my contention.

Quote:

This is the whole point of there being different styles of dress.

People choose different clothing than others due to personal preference. To propose that everyone's preference is to express their nature to social groups by choosing certain clothing is false. 

Quote:

Well, what assumptions are you gonna make about a big muscly guy wearing military fatigues , a giant cross necklace and a crew cut compared to a scrawny guy with tight jeans, nerdy glasses and old chuck taylors

I'm going to assume that its a big muscular guy who has chosen to wear military fatigues, a cross necklace, and that they decided to cut their hair in such a manner. Similarly, I would conclude that the scrawny guy decided to wear tight jeans, "nerdy" glasses, and old... chuck taylors? Are those jeans? :lol: I don't think I would make any assumptions beyond that. What if the scrawny guy wore really cool glasses, but accidentally sat on them, and he had to buy the nerdy ones while he was waiting for his style to come back in stock? I wouldn't want to make a moron of myself by daring to judge the personal nature of individuals through such trivial aspects of their appearance, especially when there is no inherent meaning within those aspects.

Quote:

, or how about a woman who flattens down her breasts, wears baggy clothes and cuts her hair really short?

What of her? Does it mean that she voted for Ross Perot? :shrug:

Quote:

These assumptions can be fluid and willing to bend, but they are unavoidably there nonetheless.

Which assumptions are unavoidably there? :confused:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#8200646 - 03/27/08 09:49 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

Why do you think people are drawn to wearing particular styles? What is the source of specific personal preferences?

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#8200785 - 03/27/08 10:26 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

NiamhNyx said:
Why do you think people are drawn to wearing particular styles? What is the source of specific personal preferences?

There is a myriad of possible reasons, only to be known upon review on a case by case basis. For example, someone might wear a particular shirt because they like the color. They might wear a particular pair of pants because they are comfortable. They may have adopted a general style because this is the clothing that was provided to them by their parents, and it just felt natural for them to continue to do so. Certainly, some individuals may select certain clothes seeking acceptance with some group. This doesn't mean that the meaning they are seeking to express exists objectively, since reality itself dictates that this cannot be the case. I think it is plainly evident that individuals can and often do choose how they dress themselves for reasons other than to express some value seeking acceptance with some social group, disproving your point.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#8200871 - 03/27/08 10:49 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

You misunderstand me and have interpreted my statement much more narrowly than it was intended.

Also, for the record, saying that 'reality itself' proves a point is a logical fallacy, considering that at all times what constitutes 'reality' is what is under the scrutiny of debate. It's like saying the bible is true because the bible says it's true.

Invisibleappleorange
Rainbow Technician
 User Gallery

#8200921 - 03/27/08 11:04 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

Fireworks, I agree very much with this statement you made:

Quote:

The real question is which assumptions do we draw from the fabrics that humans choose to adorn themselves with. I draw no conclusion regarding how an individual chooses to dress beyond the fact that they have chosen to dress that way. I don't see how an individual could successfully discern much meaning beyond that.

I'm an absolute dork when it comes to fashion and I love seeing other people who look nice, but in no way do I connect that with who they are as a person. I draw assumptions about people by how they act and talk. I've met far nicer people that were not fashion saavy than I have that were. Most people I've met that were hip to a t, definitely seem to have a little bit of a chip on their shoulder.

The only time when a persons fashion makes an obvious impression on me is it when it comes to the opposite sex.

I don't think fashion is a means of self-expression, in high school perhaps, but beyond that no. We wear what makes us look nice, not what communicates who we are. Never do we pick up a vest and go "Yes, this will definitely tell people that I am a such and such." No, we pick up the vest and go "Ohh, this is nice, I hope it looks good on me."

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#8200979 - 03/27/08 11:19 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

I'm willing to bet that you have a specific idea of what 'looks nice' that differs from what other people think looks nice.

I'm not saying that clothing actually means anything at all or that it's a means of 'self expression' or that people consciously worry about how others will respond to thier clothing (although a LOT of people do.)

In social psychology theres a concept called impression management. The way we dress is part of this. Although there are diverse reasons for why like to wear whatever we like to wear, this is certainly part of it.

Invisibleappleorange
Rainbow Technician
 User Gallery

#8200993 - 03/27/08 11:23 AM (16 years, 24 days ago)

yea, my idea of what looks nice definitely differs from the norm.

i'm probably the only guy who thinks that those vintage 1 piece swimsuits are sexy :smirk:

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#8201131 - 03/27/08 11:47 AM (16 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

NiamhNyx said:
You misunderstand me and have interpreted my statement much more narrowly than it was intended.

Is this why you made a statement like "These assumptions can be fluid and willing to bend, but they are unavoidably there nonetheless. " and then refuse to answer my question asking which assumptions are unavoidably there? What were you implying by asking me which assumptions I would draw from the different examples you provided?

Furthermore, how do you reconcile your statement "I simply argued that the function of style is to project certain values into the world" with another one you put forth just now: "I'm not saying that clothing actually means anything at all or that it's a means of 'self expression...'"? :confused: You clearly stated that the whole reason different styles of dress exist is as a function to project certain values into the world.

Quote:

Also, for the record, saying that 'reality itself' proves a point is a logical fallacy, considering that at all times what constitutes 'reality' is what is under the scrutiny of debate. It's like saying the bible is true because the bible says it's true.

No, it isn't a logical fallacy. I say "reality itself demonstrates this", someone questions that statement, I demonstrate how reality itself demonstrates it. Its as simple as that, really. Its actually more like saying "The first book of the Bible is Genesis". I can demonstrate that such is the case.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#8204852 - 03/28/08 02:48 AM (16 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

appleorange said:
yea, my idea of what looks nice definitely differs from the norm.

i'm probably the only guy who thinks that those vintage 1 piece swimsuits are sexy :smirk:

Hahah, you're defintly not the ONLY one. I have one of those bathing suits, the kind with pointy tits! :yesnod:

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#8204865 - 03/28/08 02:59 AM (16 years, 23 days ago)

FWG, the way you are arguing is so polemical that it's just irritating to engage for very long. I just don't have the energy or the will to continue the battle when you are so clearly invested in your POV that you can't recognize the validity of anything beyond it. It'd be far more interesting and productive to recognize points for the other side with something like "I see where you're coming from but this or that part is questionable" or "this needs to be modified in this or that way." You argue as though there were rigid deductive categories of right and wrong and that we can't each have differing yet mutually valid insight into the subject. This is precisely the kind of topic that is influenced by a variety of factors and which lends itself to broad interpretation.

InvisibleCameron
Too Many Words
Male User Gallery

#8204954 - 03/28/08 03:52 AM (16 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

NiamhNyx said:
FWG, the way you are arguing is so polemical that it's just irritating to engage for very long. I just don't have the energy or the will to continue the battle when you are so clearly invested in your POV that you can't recognize the validity of anything beyond it. It'd be far more interesting and productive to recognize points for the other side with something like "I see where you're coming from but this or that part is questionable" or "this needs to be modified in this or that way." You argue as though there were rigid deductive categories of right and wrong and that we can't each have differing yet mutually valid insight into the subject. This is precisely the kind of topic that is influenced by a variety of factors and which lends itself to broad interpretation.

Absolutely. I don't see how something so ambiguous and apt to different interpretations as appearance and its connection to social interaction/grouping could possibly be disproved or even argued (as being unimportant or non-existent). If you have arrived at the point where a stranger's appearance doesn't immediately conjure pre-conceived notions of who that person may be, then you are one of few. If you project absolutely none of your persona/values/beliefs into your appearance on a consistent basis, you are one of few. Obviously you both make valid points, but one doesn't cancel out the other.

Quote:

Well then, you seem to be suggesting that everyone dresses themselves, as they do, to project certain values to others. My argument is that this is not true, and reality supports my contention.

Of course it doesn't apply to everyone, but obviously the notion of style as a projection of values, social status, interests, etc is very valid and widely demonstrated in our society and countless societies past.

Quote:

No, it isn't a logical fallacy. I say "reality itself demonstrates this", someone questions that statement, I demonstrate how reality itself demonstrates it. Its as simple as that, really. Its actually more like saying "The first book of the Bible is Genesis". I can demonstrate that such is the case.

Why not knock out the middleman and cut straight to the chase?

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Why Do Old People Dress Well? [Re: Cameron]
    #8205063 - 03/28/08 06:08 AM (16 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

NiamhNyx said:
FWG, the way you are arguing is so polemical that it's just irritating to engage for very long.

Essentially, you are irritated when someone asks you hard questions about the viewpoint that you have presented and they don't accept those questions being side-stepped by statements like "you misunderstand me" or that continuing the discussion is irritating. It seems the discussion only got irritating at the point at which you decided to stop answering my questions - nothing in the way in which I've approached this discussion has changed.

I think you're trying to abandon your own points without conceding that they were not representative of the nature of reality, and you are attempting to place the blame on the manners in which I'm discussing the topic instead of the fault in your own viewpoint. I'm not going to let that slide because it is dishonest.

Quote:

I just don't have the energy or the will to continue the battle when you are so clearly invested in your POV that you can't recognize the validity of anything beyond it.

Quite the unsubstantiated conclusion. This is one of those statements that has nothing to do with the discussion itself and cannot be verified (how do we even know that the point of view you've presented even has any validity to it? we certainly can't know that if you abandon it and try to blame me :lol:). It borders on personalisms. I guess its easier to accuse others of being unable to understand than to promote understanding by backing up one's own contentions.

Quote:

It'd be far more interesting and productive to recognize points for the other side with something like "I see where you're coming from but this or that part is questionable" or "this needs to be modified in this or that way."

Not everyone uses the same mannerisms in presenting their viewpoint and questioning others. I see no reason to think that this syntax you propose here should be more preferential. You certainly haven't been using it. I don't think "its not what you say, its how you say it" is really going to fly in P&S anyways; most long-term posters here don't take issue with their points being critically analyzed. :shrug:

Quote:

You argue as though there were rigid deductive categories of right and wrong and that we can't each have differing yet mutually valid insight into the subject.

No I don't. I simply expect that, if I answer your questions, you answer mine. Somewhere along the line, you decided to stop that mutual exchange and start accusing me of misunderstanding (without demonstrating how as much is true) and taking issue with the way in which I approach a discussion (something that didn't stop you from replying for the first half of the thread). I've already clearly stated that some people use style as a function of projecting "values" and to seek acceptance with certain social groups. You've implied that different manners of dress (complete with examples) unavoidably carries with it certain assumptions, and you stated that the whole point of there being different styles of dress is to project different values into the world and to make oneself appealing to social groups. I've asked questions regarding those statements and they have thusfar gone by with no subsequent response.

I'm more than willing (I already have :wink:) to admit the validity of the main idea of your point, but I have disagreed with the sweeping context in which you've placed that main idea, proposing that the purpose of style itself is this function and that styles of dress carry with them objective assumptions. I'm more than willing to admit that my conclusions regarding this context could have been misinterpretations, but to do so would require you to respond to my counter-points and questions, instead of to simply be told I misunderstand and that the manners in which I'm approaching this discussion are too polemical and that you don't have the energy to stick with your expressed point of view.

Quote:

This is precisely the kind of topic that is influenced by a variety of factors and which lends itself to broad interpretation.

The nature of the topic itself has nothing to do with the specifics of our discussion. The fact that we are discussing a topic that is influenced by a variety of factors doesn't mean that your specific statements are to be broadly interpreted. :lol: I regret that this conversation had to go this direction, instead of simply adhering to the discussion itself, but, for someone without the will and energy to follow through with the discussion itself, you certainly had enough to take it into griping about imaginary problems with the ways in which I've approached the discussion in P&S. :smirk:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#8205078 - 03/28/08 06:22 AM (16 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

Cameron said:
Absolutely. I don't see how something so ambiguous and apt to different interpretations as appearance and its connection to social interaction/grouping could possibly be disproved or even argued (as being unimportant or non-existent).

Oh, so you don't really understand the course this discussion has taken. NiamNyx put forth the viewpoint that the reason different styles of dress exist is because the function of style itself is to project values and to appeal to social groups. I contend that, while some individuals may indeed have the motivation of expressing some value or seeking the attention of some social group in forming their personal preference for which clothing they wish to adorn themselves with, it stands perfectly clear that there is a myriad of other reasons why individuals can and do choose to wear certain clothing. This fact, in and of itself, disproves her assertion.

It doesn't matter how ambiguous or how intricately complex the topic itself is. That is, quite simply, what is at issue here. Feel free to read my posts; it should be perfectly clear that this is all I have ever sustained. I see no reason why the manners in which I've approached seeking out the acknowledgment of this should be blamed for another's inability to support their original contention. :shrug:

Quote:

Obviously you both make valid points, but one doesn't cancel out the other.

We can't both be right. There can't be the reason why people choose to dress themselves if there is other reasons. :rofl2:

Quote:

Why not knock out the middleman and cut straight to the chase?

An interest in being concise.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinebackfromthedead
Activated

#8205363 - 03/28/08 09:30 AM (16 years, 23 days ago)

I think somebody lit a festival ball.

--------------------

Invisibleappleorange
Rainbow Technician
 User Gallery

#8205374 - 03/28/08 09:36 AM (16 years, 23 days ago)

YOU GUYS NEED TO STOP ARGUING AND LET'S TOUCH BASE ON THE ORIGINAL SUBJECT. :crankey:

I think we have established so far, that clothing for some individuals is definitely a means of projeting values and an identity. I think this mostly just applies to high school kids and superficial socialites though.

For the rest of the world though, individuals dress to look nice.

What motive is there in appearing nice? Sex is definitely a theme, but cannot be the driving force behind it because monks, kids, and old people still take pride in their appearance. The Dalai Lama for one has never gotten laid and has no intentions of ever getting laid, but all his life he has taken pride in his appearance. If tomorrow he decided to wear some nasty haggard robe with cracked spectacles, would anyones feelings toward him change? I highly doubt it. I think all of us would still enjoy just as much being around him.

I still do not know the answer to my question, but I think we can agree that I what I just said above is true.

With that, hopefully we can continue to figure this out.

Edited by appleorange (03/28/08 09:47 AM)

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#8205379 - 03/28/08 09:37 AM (16 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

appleorange said:
YOU GUYS NEED TO STOP ARGUING AND LET'S TOUCH BASE ON THE ORIGINAL SUBJECT. :crankey:

You haven't demonstrated that old people generally dress well (a subjective judgment, naturally), so I couldn't begin to address "why" they do. :hehehe:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Invisibleappleorange
Rainbow Technician
 User Gallery

#8205422 - 03/28/08 09:52 AM (16 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
Quote:

appleorange said:

You haven't demonstrated that old people generally dress well (a subjective judgment, naturally), so I couldn't begin to address "why" they do. :hehehe:

This isn't a matter of whether or not they actually look nice, it's a matter of why they want to look nice.

It's also pretty safe to assume, that old people are not dressing up to get laid.

Some other motive must be at hand. :strokebeard:

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#8205435 - 03/28/08 09:56 AM (16 years, 23 days ago)

Its possible that its part of some conspiracy to make you look worse by comparison so you don't get laid. :smirk:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Invisibleappleorange
Rainbow Technician
 User Gallery

#8205437 - 03/28/08 09:56 AM (16 years, 23 days ago)

Plus,

Even if we are talking about the primordial geezer who wears depends on bingo night. While he may look ridiculous, he does care to an extent as to what he looks like.

I think everyone cares to an extent, some just moreso than others.

Invisibleappleorange
Rainbow Technician
 User Gallery

#8205447 - 03/28/08 09:59 AM (16 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
Its possible that its part of some conspiracy to make you look worse by comparison so you don't get laid. :smirk:

I'm going to have to confirm this with my grandparents, until then, this is all just conspiracy theory nonsense.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#8205449 - 03/28/08 10:00 AM (16 years, 23 days ago)

Well there must be some explanation for why you don't. :shrug:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#8205590 - 03/28/08 10:38 AM (16 years, 23 days ago)

Alright FWG, I'm backing myself up with scientific research.

InvisibleCameron
Too Many Words
Male User Gallery

#8205711 - 03/28/08 11:02 AM (16 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:

I contend that, while some individuals may indeed have the motivation of expressing some value or seeking the attention of some social group in forming their personal preference for which clothing they wish to adorn themselves with, it stands perfectly clear that there is a myriad of other reasons why individuals can and do choose to wear certain clothing. This fact, in and of itself, disproves her assertion.

We can't both be right. There can't be the reason why people choose to dress themselves if there is other reasons. :rofl2:

Alright, that's all I was suggesting: that projecting ones personality through style was a reason why people dress the way they do, not the reason why they do it. It would be silly to claim that that is the sole reason, or to contend that everyone thinks alike - it didn't seem (to me) like that is what Niam was suggesting at all. In fact, I thought that she was becoming frustrated because you weren't recognizing the validity of her claim (that it was a reason - misunderstanding?).

Quote:

An interest in being concise.

I don't understand. Your interest in conciseness motivates you to post something as vague and meaningless as 'reality itself proves this', when you could explain the reasoning behind this immediately (rather than wait for someone to ask 'how does reality itself prove this?)?

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#8205909 - 03/28/08 11:35 AM (16 years, 22 days ago)

It's pure rhetoric- it's psychologically convincing, yet it means nothing at all. "Reality" doesn't prove anything. It's the observers prerogative to interpret and explain the so called "reality" they observe.

Invisibleappleorange
Rainbow Technician
 User Gallery

#8206021 - 03/28/08 11:59 AM (16 years, 22 days ago)

Somehow I can't buy into the whole clothing = identity thing.

Just look at how much our clothing alters to fit different contexts. You would look awfully silly going to the beach in a business suit. What we wear is determined by our surroundings, not so much by us.

haha, what if wearing business suits to the beach was the norm? Then going to the beach in a business suit would look pretty alright. If that is not the antithesis of self-expression, I don't know what is.

I think this a beauty issue.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#8206199 - 03/28/08 12:39 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

NiamhNyx said:

Strange... I was expecting scientific research that demonstrated that the reason why everyone chooses every piece of clothing they wear is due to a seeking to convey values and to present oneself in relation to social groups. Do you have any research that says that, or are you finally ready to concede that your earlier statements are not in accordance with the nature of reality?
:sherlock:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#8206284 - 03/28/08 01:00 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

Cameron said:
Alright, that's all I was suggesting: that projecting ones personality through style was a reason why people dress the way they do, not the reason why they do it.

Exactly; I had personally stated as much several times throughout the course of this thread. :wink:

Quote:

It would be silly to claim that that is the sole reason, or to contend that everyone thinks alike - it didn't seem (to me) like that is what Niam was suggesting at all.

What does this statement mean to you?

Quote:

NiamhNyx said:
I simply argued that the function of style is to project certain values into the world, to make oneself appealing to a particular social group... This is the whole point of there being different styles of dress.

Quote:

In fact, I thought that she was becoming frustrated because you weren't recognizing the validity of her claim (that it was a reason - misunderstanding?).

It would be pretty baseless to become frustrated about something I had already recognized multiple times. Throughout she has not answered multiple, direct questions regarding specific ideas she advanced. If she is frustrated, it probably has something to do with that inability. :shrug:

Quote:

I don't understand. Your interest in conciseness motivates you to post something as vague and meaningless as 'reality itself proves this', when you could explain the reasoning behind this immediately (rather than wait for someone to ask 'how does reality itself prove this?)?

I had demonstrated how reality itself demonstrates this, including plausible examples of situations in which individuals would decide to wear clothing for reasons other than the reason she alleged, within the same post in which I had proposed that statement.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleCameron
Too Many Words
Male User Gallery

#8206288 - 03/28/08 01:02 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

:toomuchacid:

Invisibleappleorange
Rainbow Technician
 User Gallery

#8206314 - 03/28/08 01:11 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#8206322 - 03/28/08 01:15 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

NiamhNyx said:
It's pure rhetoric- it's psychologically convincing, yet it means nothing at all. "Reality" doesn't prove anything. It's the observers prerogative to interpret and explain the so called "reality" they observe.

Your objection to the statement is merely some attempt to avoid the criticism of your points. It would have been more effective if your attempt was based upon accurate grounds. Here is the the specific statement of mine in question:

Quote:

fireworks_god said:

The sentence was a summary of my argument. It wasn't the argument itself. Why would it be expected that the entirety of one's position be presented within a summary of one's contention? Perhaps one would have been better off either debunking my points that lead credence to the conclusion that reality supports my contention, or conceding that one's earlier expressed point of view was not accurate, instead of inaccurately taking issue with trivial matters.

:shrug:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#8206323 - 03/28/08 01:16 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

Cameron said:
:toomuchacid:

Send some this way. :wink:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#8206335 - 03/28/08 01:18 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
Quote:

NiamhNyx said:

Strange... I was expecting scientific research that demonstrated that the reason why everyone chooses every piece of clothing they wear is due to a seeking to convey values and to present oneself in relation to social groups. Do you have any research that says that, or are you finally ready to concede that your earlier statements are not in accordance with the nature of reality?

I NEVER said that it was the sole factor, or that it was a conscious, active process (although it is for many people.) There are a variety of factors that go into selecting items of clothing - functionality, impression management, availability and affordability are some of the most basic. The research I posted confirms the point I was trying to make. If you think it refutes it than you truly did misunderstand me. Not once did I say that it was the only factor, rather, I argue that it's a significant factor that applies to most people most of the time.  You are committing the straw man fallacy, misreprestenting my argument to make it appear weaker than it really is.

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

#8206349 - 03/28/08 01:21 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
the nature of reality

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
the nature of reality

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
the nature of reality

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
the nature of reality

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
the nature of reality

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
the nature of reality

:lol:

InvisibleCameron
Too Many Words
Male User Gallery

#8206352 - 03/28/08 01:21 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

What does this statement mean to you?

I simply argued that the function of style is to project certain values into the world, to make oneself appealing to a particular social group... This is the whole point of there being different styles of dress.

Well, I guess that depends on your definition of style. I took it to mean conscientious choice of clothing to convey personality through appearance (because obviously style goes hand in hand with personality). I don't think appealing to social groups is the sole purpose of style, but I definitely believe the idea holds true for a large percentage of the populace. I guess I misinterpreted, but that's my stance anyways.

InvisibleCameron
Too Many Words
Male User Gallery

#8206363 - 03/28/08 01:23 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

NiamhNyx said:

I NEVER said that it was the sole factor, or that it was a conscious, active process (although it is for many people.) There are a variety of factors that go into selecting items of clothing - functionality, impression management, availability and affordability are some of the most basic. The research I posted confirms the point I was trying to make. If you think it refutes it than you truly did misunderstand me. Not once did I say that it was the only factor, rather, I argue that it's a significant factor that applies to most people most of the time.  You are committing the straw man fallacy, misreprestenting my argument to make it appear weaker than it really is.

Alright then, that's exactly what I thought you were saying! :lol: Glad we got that straightened out, after only two or three pages :grin:

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#8206609 - 03/28/08 02:21 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

I argued that it was a significant and central factor. Not once did I say it was the ONLY factor. Obviously functionality is an undeniably central element as well (although, the way some women wear stiletto heels in the snow, or outdoorsy tough guys insist on wearing shorts in january, this might be up for debate.:smirk:)

If clothing selection had no causal relationship to social norms, people would wear wildly original and unprecendented outfits a lot more often. We model ourselves on one another, not just style but all aspects of our identities. No one is an isolated entity.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#8206867 - 03/28/08 03:22 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

NiamhNyx said:
Not once did I say that it was the only factor, rather, I argue that it's a significant factor that applies to most people most of the time. You are committing the straw man fallacy, misreprestenting my argument to make it appear weaker than it really is.

No, what has happened is, earlier, you seriously misrepresented your own argument. Your words, once more:

Quote:

"I simply argued that the function".... "This is the whole point...". I can fully, readily accept that the manners in which you expressed your point of view in the beginning of the thread just wasn't the best choice of words, but considering the absolute nature of some of the words you chose to use, it is not readily apparent that it was simply a slight slip-up, and readily accepting that would require your clarifying that instead of simply blaming the manner in which I seek debate. Most all of the confusion would have been avoided if there would not have been the aforementioned disconnect between your intended point of view and the one you actually expressed.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Why Do Old People Dress Well? [Re: MushmanTheManic]
    #8206896 - 03/28/08 03:28 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

The only two times in this thread that I used that phrase:

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
I think you're trying to abandon your own points without conceding that they were not representative of the nature of reality

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
or are you finally ready to concede that your earlier statements are not in accordance with the nature of reality?

In those instances, the usage has no relevance to the concern that was raised regarding my usage of the term reality, so what's your point? :shrug:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #8206912 - 03/28/08 03:31 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

I think he's probably just mocking your debate style.

It's very easy to do.

You're always one to parse words and obfuscate the real point with rhetoric.

I could just be projecting my own feelings onto his words though.

Who knows.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery

Loc: off the wall
    #8206915 - 03/28/08 03:31 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

it's funny how much debate goes on about something so simple...

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #8208073 - 03/28/08 08:01 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

Old people don't dress well....they just dress like old people.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Invisibleappleorange
Rainbow Technician
 User Gallery

Re: Why Do Old People Dress Well? [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #8208591 - 03/28/08 10:17 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

I think the answer to my question is coming to me slowly.

Fashion is free of any inherent value. It is a man made creation such as the guitar. The guitar has whatever value you assign to it, much like fashion.

Much like the guitar, our reasons for using fashion or the guitar can vary from individual to individual.

For some, fashion can be a way to attain sex, for others it can mean acceptance from a group.

With all that said. One fact remains true regardless of the means fashion is used for. The way you look affects others. Be it good or bad.

Instead of dressing nice to make ourselves feel better, shouldn't we dress nice to make others feel better?

Through others happiness, we ourselves are able to be happy.

OfflineGrylls
Male User Gallery

Loc: East of the Continental D...
    #8208841 - 03/28/08 11:48 PM (16 years, 22 days ago)

From 7th through the 12th grade, I was self-conscious and had to maintain an image that would not be incompatible with my peers' beliefs and behaviors in high school.  When I finally broke free of the societal programming about a year after high school, wearing 'fashionable' clothing seemed like a joke.

I made the shift from being a walking advertisement to a moderately dressed adult.  You won't see a logo on me, except you may see a Rush t-shirt on me :thumbup:

About the old people: there are many factors: upbringing, beliefs, and so on...

--------------------
Alone in the clouds all blue.  Lying on an eiderdown.  You can't see me, but I can you.

OfflineFryersQuest
Navigator
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington, United States Flag
Re: Why Do Old People Dress Well? [Re: MindGorilla]
    #22157659 - 08/28/15 05:28 PM (8 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

MindGorilla said:
dress good

look good

feel good

^^^This

--------------------

Species Found: Gymnopilus Luteofolius ~ Panaeolus Cinctulus ~ Psilocybe Baeocystis ~ Psilocybe Cyanescens ~ Psilocybe cyanofibrillosa ~ Psilocybe Semilanceata ~ Psilocybe Stuntzii

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale