Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemalabar
Stranger

Loc: in your sisters pants
ultimate grow closet extravaganza
    #8197066 - 03/26/08 03:31 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

So heres the deal, I used to grow copious amounts of shrooms but eventually quit do to the crap load of work that went into my operation. I grow them using jars and brf instead of spawn bags and other grains, straws, and various poos. I have had enough of this mushroom break and plan to start again only to take the operation to a higher level. I plan on turning my closet into a Martha Stewart closet. I plan on either taking out the carpet or laying down and tacking a tarp to the floor. Then I plan on painting everything with kills antimicrobial paint. I might need a moister resistant coating over the kills paint. I have found a humidity controller that isn't hellishly expensive. I will hook this in with an ultra mist humidifier and a cool mist humidifier that I'll put on the top shelf of the closet. I will put fluorescent lights under the shelves. I would like to use spawn bags with a pressure cooker. this way when the time comes for fruiting, i can simply put the bags in trays on the shelves and cut the plastic off.
So thats the plan. I haven't grown shrooms in a few years and I'm wondering if you think this is a good idea or not. I don't know if this has been done before, but i would like some feed back before i get things going. One more thing, the closet is approximately a 5x5. So i don't think Co2 will be a problem.d I can simply open the door twice a day. With the ultra mist it won't take long for the humidity to go back to 90%.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetight
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: ultimate grow closet extravaganza [Re: malabar]
    #8197215 - 03/26/08 04:04 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

That sounds like a lot of work when you could do a bunch of perpetual monotubs each yielding QPs dry each. Monotubs require none of the work you plan on doing and low initial investment and high returns.

--------------------
SD prop 215 and occasional fungus cultivator

Offlinebigred
Male User Gallery

Loc: Latitude = 37.0954, Longi... Flag
Re: ultimate grow closet extravaganza [Re: tight]
    #8197368 - 03/26/08 04:32 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I have a room thats 6 foot x 6 foot x 2 foot and the RH takes a lot of work.
You can get some good ultra sonic misters from,
http://www.mainlandmart.com/foggers.html
but you'll need at least the ml09a maybe 2 of them and there 150.oo each.
Then you'll need to build a 18 or 20 gallon humidifier with those and a blower.
I started with the cool mist and 1 mister and it didn't work.
Now I have the 2 ultra sonic misters in an 18 gallon barrel with 2 air stones and a blower connected by 2in. PVC to the FC. Next I use a HUM-1 to control the humidity. but even so It runs 45min. on and 15 off 24 hours a day.
Next is heat.
If you have to heat the room, and you will with that many sq foot, you'll need to get radiant heat.
That has no blower or moving parts to get wet.
So, there goes cheap.
There are other methods to use, like the bulk tubs.
Now with that all out of the way, my room works well and I'm happy with it but it was not easy or cheap.
I have well over 1300.00 in it.
This is about like the humidifier I built
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6252361
thanks to agar
Any way, ill be more than happy to help if you'd like it just ask.

Offlinemalabar
Stranger

Re: ultimate grow closet extravaganza [Re: bigred]
    #8197682 - 03/26/08 05:34 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I think your right about the room being a lot of work. but I'm trying to make this easier in the long run. I like the mono tub. technique, but it doesn't utilize the sides of the poo. If you have spawn bags, you can tear the plastic off the sides and utilize the sides of the bags as you would a cake. Also if I did go through with building my mushroom room, all i would have to do is prepare the grain, pressure cook and seal the bags, inject spores and incubate. When all is done, i simply rip off the plastic and let the room take over.
As far as the humidifier bigred is talking about, well thats just fuckin cool! I have been away from the community for a while. You guys have really had some great breakthroughs and have brought this pretty far. I will go ahead and build your humidifier machine and I'll hook that to the humidity control. I don't mind spending a little money. A grand is fine. I'm not trying to even make a profit off of this, I just like shrooms. I just hope that Co2 isn't a problem. Don't think it should be.
If anyone has any more suggestions, please feel free to post. I would like the ideas from some people who have been doing this for the last few years. I kinda lost touch with the new techs and ideas.

Offlinesomebody041
bud tester
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
    #8197696 - 03/26/08 05:37 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

something tells me putting light fixtures in a room with high humditity isn't the best idea...

Offlinebigred
Male User Gallery

Re: ultimate grow closet extravaganza [Re: somebody041]
    #8197814 - 03/26/08 05:57 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

My lighting is recessed in the ceiling and sealed with plastic then vented to the outside of the room.
Works well and only increases the temp by 2.5 to 3 Deg.
Now if you don't mind the expense these are very nice.
http://www.mainlandmart.com/humidify.html
Ive not used one but I am thanking about it.

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#8197964 - 03/26/08 06:23 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Too many humidity problems for me to consider a closet area as a fruiting chamber. I would want to seal the thing up, and then I would need an exhaust system. I'm not knocking it, but I'm curious how it would work.

If it's ease you're looking for, mono tubs might be worth considering. If you can find tubs that fit the myco bags, you could mono tub the method you mentioned. You could do the same thing with marthas. Either way, the room could breathe while the FC maintain high humidity.

Something I might do, if I were using a 5x5 space; shelves with lights would make space for lots of mono tubs.

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

OfflineFrost000
Badfish

Re: ultimate grow closet extravaganza [Re: Rahz]
    #8198007 - 03/26/08 06:30 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

If using a lot of monotubs as said in rahz's post, would the FAE be adequete? I've got 2 monotubs going right now that I plan to use in a room with an oscillating fan. But if I were to cram 8 of them in a small closet how would that little amount of air movement do for FAE?

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: ultimate grow closet extravaganza [Re: Frost000]
    #8198368 - 03/26/08 07:47 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

It would probably be fine, but some closets will naturally vent better than others. As long as the RH in the room stays normal, there's plenty of FAE.

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

Offlinebigred
Male User Gallery

Re: ultimate grow closet extravaganza [Re: Rahz]
    #8198822 - 03/26/08 09:09 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I would thank before using a closet that way.
My FC isn't a closet its a room built in a room with the only one purpose.

Offlinemalabar
Stranger

#8201714 - 03/27/08 02:24 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I plan to put an oscillating fan in the closet. I won't have it pointed on the mushies of course. I don't think fresh air is a problem. Many people simply fan their fruiting chambers. It works well for them. I'm only putting about ten times more shrooms in a closet thats a hundred times larger than the fruiting containers that I first started with when I was a kid. If I could do it then, I'm sure that opening the door two or three times a day will be fine. And in the future I may come up with a new way to ventilate. as far as humidity, I think it will be fine. An ultra sonic humidifier works fantastically with a Martha Stewart closet. I believe that the humidifier in bigred's post will be more than sufficient. I plan to test all with a hygrometer and thermometer before i put in the lights or shrooms. I'm not worried about lighting fixtures in the room with 90% humidity. My fish aquarium lights work fine with extreme humidity. But all this will be researched and tested before being finalized. And if this actually works, and is worth the effort, you can build one yourself.

Offlinebigred
Male User Gallery

#8201845 - 03/27/08 03:17 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

100% RH dumps a lot of water bro, be ready to mop a lot.
My setup goes through gallons every day and most of that is run off on the floor,
My floor runs out at an angle to the outside wall and the water goes out to a sump well. Where will yours go?

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #8201851 - 03/27/08 03:18 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

somebody041 said:
something tells me putting light fixtures in a room with high humditity isn't the best idea...

that was the first thing that came to my mind. its a general rule that you dont want any lighting actually inside of your fruiting chamber. a light under each shelf sounds like a fire hazard.

ive used 4-teir greenhouses inside of closets with great success. This allows great controllability of humidity and allows you to safely light you terrarium.

Offlinemalabar
Stranger

Re: ultimate grow closet extravaganza [Re: KillerPicklez]
    #8202015 - 03/27/08 03:59 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

i will look into the run off problem. if I set the RH to 90% instead of 100% it may not be as bad. but I'll test first and see if I'll need to come up with a drain. I was going to do the Martha Stewart closet, but figured i might as well to the whole closet for a little more money. But if the water is going to be that much of a problem, I might go ahead with the Martha Tech.
If any one has any input about water on the floor or has any experience or advice with the Martha tech, please give your input. I would like to make a wise decision when buying the final supplies.

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8202067 - 03/27/08 04:10 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

While doing the whole closet might be just a little more expensive, I think it will be a pain in the ass. You already said you'd have to remove carpet, put down a tarp. Repaint the walls. Just get a martha or a 4-teir and go at it. You'll save yourself a headache and a lot of money.

Offlinemalabar
Stranger

Re: ultimate grow closet extravaganza [Re: KillerPicklez]
    #8202301 - 03/27/08 05:04 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

with all the info you guys gave me, I think the martha is the best answer. Are there any real problems with the martha. Not that many people talk about them and it seems that they may not be as favorable compared to other techs.

InvisibleKillerPicklez
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8202315 - 03/27/08 05:08 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

There are no real issues with martha's other than sometimes catching excess moisture that will dip to the bottom of it. You will need some kind of container to catch the moisture. I like them better than monotubs because with mono's you are putting all your eggs into one basket so trich can come along and ruin your day. With martha's you can have numerous casings and simply remove any contaminated ones you may stumble upon.

Check out Helltick's automated greenhouse in my signature. Thats a lot like what I had and served me well for several years.

Invisibleshroober
Myco Junkie

#8202320 - 03/27/08 05:09 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

i have experimented with a lot of FCs, and i can honestly say that the classic martha (or indoor greenhouse) is the cheapest and most efficient, put a cool mist and a tray of perlite on the bottom shelf and you're done, easy... quick... and it works

Offlinebigred
Male User Gallery

Re: ultimate grow closet extravaganza [Re: shroober]
    #8202431 - 03/27/08 05:36 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Walmart has indoor greenhouses on sale in this area for 29.99 this week, I almost got one but after all the work Ive done I'm keeping my FC going.
But it does look very user friendly.

Offlinesomebody041
bud tester
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
    #8203264 - 03/27/08 08:17 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

you can get something to go underneat the martha at homedepot or lowes. ask for a washing machine drip tray. thats what i use and it's great.

and like someone else already said, just put a tray of perlite beneath the GH, a coolmist in the bottom shelf on a cycle timer, and maybe a air mattress pump for FAE if you want optimal results.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags