Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineskarpo
Stranger
Outdoor patch question
    #8184667 - 03/23/08 08:23 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Hello, I was wondering, as spring is approaching in my area, I am looking to grow mushrooms for the first time. My question is, I live in a heavily wooded area (in New Hampshire, climate zone 5) and I am wondering, if I follow Moes outdoor tek, could I possibly inoculate the patch, if i place a layer of vermiculite in there, and allow them to fruit and grow on their own? They would be in a shaded area and I could water them if I had to. I was wondering if I could do this, due to the lack of contamination outdoors as compared to indoors.

P.S I am planning on growing B+

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineweretheshit
FeelingRhizomorp<wbr><wbr>hic?
 User Gallery

Re: Outdoor patch question [Re: skarpo]
    #8184677 - 03/23/08 08:25 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I dont see any reason why you couldnt

Offlineskarpo
Stranger
Re: Outdoor patch question [Re: weretheshit]
    #8184685 - 03/23/08 08:27 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Any idea on how much longer this would take? If I inoculate the patch, say in mid may, which is when everything starts to bloom around here, how much longer are we talking until the first flush? temps around here usually dip below 50 in around late September.

OfflineFahkface
Over-Fiend
Male User Gallery

Loc: In your Mind, Pedro! In y...
Trusted Cultivator
    #8185922 - 03/24/08 02:17 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I guess you mix up something there...
Cubes are a tropical / subtropical species and naturally does only grow in warm and moist areas.
New Hampshire is too cold to let the mushrooms grow on their own (they don't grow there for a reason!).

Since I don't know "Moe's" tek, I can't say weather it would work or not but what I know, is that you should FIRST cultivate they mycelium and then make up some beds of substrate, knocking up these beds, watering every day.
This probably won't work in spring but in the hot days of summer!
I'm pretty sure you won't get any cubes to fruit, if you start in spring.

Since cubes are mushrooms that don't get old (they are ain't perennial), they don't build up mycelium over the summer and fruit in fall. Thy colonize rather quickly and fruit in the very moment the mycelium and the environmentally circumstances are ready.

It's not impossible to grow outdoor cubes in the northern states of the US, though it's rather difficult since you have to water them every day (for you can only do this in summer, which is freakin' dry up there).

What you should focus on is to cultivate wood lovers which would be a lot easier for you to do, since they are planted in spring, build up mycelium during the summer and fruit in fall, when the temps are between 5 and 18 degrees.
The don't need as much moisture as cubes, are a lot more resistant (so they don't need as much care as cubes), will fruit a lot more abundantly and are A LOT more potent!

Believe me, when you live in an area that provides the right climate for wood lovers, go for them!
Cubes are BS compared to them in both ways: They are a lot harder to cultivate in these climatic circumstances and are a lot weaker!

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Outdoor patch question [Re: Fahkface]
    #8186742 - 03/24/08 11:06 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

why would one waste their time with buliding a cube outdoor patch?? If you are going to do it, it might as well be something that has a little kick to it.

Azurescens and cyanescens will most likely grow in 90% of the u.s.

wood lovers = cold moist

cubes= warm and moist

cold and moist go hand in hand

warm and moist do not.

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Offlineskarpo
Stranger
Re: Outdoor patch question [Re: tahoe]
    #8187863 - 03/24/08 03:52 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

so, for the wood-lover species, do I simply inoculate PF-tek style? I am looking for a way to simply inoculate the wood-chips at their future growing location. I am trying to do this entirely outdoors, and due to lack of contaminates outdoors, would it be possible for me to use a few rotting logs,or drill holes into say, firewood type logs instead of using a jar?

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #8187947 - 03/24/08 04:10 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

skarpo said:
so, for the wood-lover species, do I simply inoculate PF-tek style? I am looking for a way to simply inoculate the wood-chips at their future growing location. I am trying to do this entirely outdoors, and due to lack of contaminates outdoors, would it be possible for me to use a few rotting logs,or drill holes into say, firewood type logs instead of using a jar?

would you believe that the answer to your questions can be found on the same page as your thread?
This could even be done without using the search.
Now 2 post ago when you tried your first post and that screen came up asking that you search, did you?

here is a hint
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/8186260/an/0/page/1

also, rotting wood is not ideal

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Offlineskarpo
Stranger

Re: Outdoor patch question [Re: tahoe]
    #8192231 - 03/25/08 04:20 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Sorry, I did use the search function and read through about five threads and couldn't find the information i needed.

So, here is my plan, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I was thinking of mixing woodchips + fertilizer for the bed, and inoculate the patch with a 10cc syringe of Azurescens. Would this spawn fully fruited mushrooms by mid fall? I'm concerned about time here really, which is why I was thinking about growing B+.

Everything will be sterile of course. Again, this would entail inoculation and fruiting in the same place, outside.

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #8192525 - 03/25/08 05:17 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

skarpo said:
Sorry, I did use the search function and read through about five threads and couldn't find the information i needed.

So, here is my plan, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I was thinking of mixing woodchips + fertilizer for the bed, and inoculate the patch with a 10cc syringe of Azurescens. Would this spawn fully fruited mushrooms by mid fall? I'm concerned about time here really, which is why I was thinking about growing B+.

Everything will be sterile of course. Again, this would entail inoculation and fruiting in the same place, outside.

Wow, dont be sorry about not using the search. Just go ahead and use it. You are way off on growing mushrooms.

--------------------

My Legacy

Teh=The
I need to proofread

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract