Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejustartin
Stranger
 User Gallery
ID Request Please QLD Australia
    #8186235 - 03/24/08 08:07 AM (16 years, 8 days ago)

I have been reading the forums and hope that I provide enough information so as not to frustrate anyone. I will be very grateful for any assitance.

Habitat- these were found in the Gold Coast (Queensland Australia) Hinterland at 2000 feet, amonst very green cow paddocks. They did not grow out of cow dung directly. They were found sometimes isolated or in pair amongst the grass out in the open away from trees. The season is early autumn.

Gills- the fine gills gave a fairly purple/velvet appearence which I think is quite evident in the photos compared to the very white paper towel.

Stem- the stem varied in good proportion to the size of the cap, again more easily seen in the photos. it was solid, fibrous at the top, tapered slightly in the middle. Disappointingly (for me at least) is did not change colour at all when pinched/crushed/broken. As per the photo is is fairly white/off white with light brown/gold sections. on the 8 cm caps they would be about 12-15 cm tall. they are firm and reasonably strong.

Cap- I did not find any young ones. The size 4 - 8 cm diameter. almost white at the edges smoothly transitioning to light brown/ slightly gold in the centre. They were almost flat (just convex), the older ones more upturned at the edges and becoming concave. Although not robust, they are not fragile for their thickness 1 - 2 cm on the large ones.

Spore print color- very deep purple, like the tannins in a bottle of red wine, you know, the dregs at the bottom of the glass.

Color that the mushroom bruises- it did not appear to bruise any colour, the spores could lead you to believe it was a shade of blue but I can not at all be sure. As they aged, as per the photo of the specimens on the plate, they appeared to have a dark purple colour but no immediate reaction was evident to bruising.

Scent of the mushroom- flour/normal mushroom scent, nothing outstanding, the tiny bit I bit off may have been just slightly bitter but not outstandingly so, sort of weak mushroom/flour taste as well, dont worry, I spat it out.

Veil- a veil is present that would be very light/white in colour except that it is stained dark purple/brown/light black by the spores.

I have only shown the two best specimens on the paper towel. The plate is a mix of what I believe are older specimens. I did not find any young ones.

The colours in the photos are fairly true, particularly the ones without the flash which are slightly blurred and the wood grain of the table is lighter and more natural.

I hope someone can help! Best Regards...

Edited by justartin (03/24/08 08:21 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: ID Request Please QLD Australia [Re: justartin]
    #8186302 - 03/24/08 08:56 AM (16 years, 8 days ago)

Those are Stropharia mushrooms. Not the trippy kind.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: ID Request Please QLD Australia [Re: justartin]
    #8186836 - 03/24/08 11:34 AM (16 years, 8 days ago)

Very, very nice ID request justartin!!

Those look incredibly similar to Psilocybe cubensis! You are looking in the right habitat too. As you noted, the only indication that these are not Ps. cubensis is that they don't bruise blue.

GgreatOne is correct, an inactive Stropharia species.
But you are on the right track!! Now just to find some that turn blue...

--------------------

Offlineclemens
Lover
 User Gallery

Re: ID Request Please QLD Australia [Re: CureCat]
    #8187976 - 03/24/08 04:16 PM (16 years, 8 days ago)

Wow, incredibly similar to cubes. The second to last pic gives it away tho with those rings.

--------------------

Take it easy dude, but take it!

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
Re: ID Request Please QLD Australia [Re: clemens]
    #8188059 - 03/24/08 04:36 PM (16 years, 8 days ago)

Nice!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Injection Grain Bag