Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejonogt
Jon
Male User Gallery
aquarium airpump for FC humidity
    #8181083 - 03/22/08 08:01 PM (16 years, 53 minutes ago)

I've seen several posts talking about this, as well as the poor man's pod, and it seems there mixed feelings on them. I'm going to be using a tote probably between 20 and 30 gallons for casing grains. My original idea was to install a small computer fan I got on a wall on one end of the toe (exhausting the contents) and polyfil filtered holes on the other end with an ultrasonic blowing on them. The fan would constantly be pulling the moist air through these holes, the polyfil would block mist, and I'd hopefully get an environment just on the edge of condensation.

Now I'm wondering if air pumps and air stones are enough. I saw a couple threads talking about how people just put the hose from one in a container of water in their terrarium and let it bubble, and it kept the humidity at a really good level while providing great FAE. I know it would do good for exchanging air, but what do you guys think about using it for actual humidity? With a setup as big as I described, would doing a setup like this even be worth taking a shot at and then tweaking until it worked, or will it just never be enough?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline86jbmccr
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: aquarium airpump for FC humidity [Re: jonogt]
    #8181273 - 03/22/08 08:41 PM (16 years, 13 minutes ago)

Do a some more research. Post some pics. And..show at least some progress, ya know?

OfflineMephisto616
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: aquarium airpump for FC humidity [Re: 86jbmccr]
    #8181296 - 03/22/08 08:45 PM (16 years, 9 minutes ago)

Standing water will gather contam. I used a bubbler and air pump with LECA stones and it wasn't good enough. I then used a layer a perlite and a bubbler w/ air pump and I'll never use anything else. The air pump and bubbler pushes air though the perlite and causes faster evaporation + FEA (if you add a check valve) my humidity is never below 99% and I never fan. you have you re-moisten your perlite prolly once a week. but this is the best poor mans humidity

--------------------
KNOW YOUR SOURCE, KNOW YOUR SUBSTANCE, KNOW YOUR LIMIT

ALL MUSHROOMS ARE EDIBLE, BUT SOME ONLY ONCE.

Offlineweretheshit
FeelingRhizomorp<wbr><wbr>hic?
 User Gallery

#8181321 - 03/22/08 08:50 PM (16 years, 4 minutes ago)

One air pump likely wont be enough for a 30GAL fc.

It might work along with fanning and misting.

Offlinefigurine
Cat Tamer
Male

Re: aquarium airpump for FC humidity [Re: weretheshit]
    #8181367 - 03/22/08 09:04 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I've used a fishtank bubbler with the tube submerged in a jar of water within a pearlite FC before. I don't think that it beats misting and fanning, but it possibly helps with FAE and it definitely does keep the RH up if you can't attend to things regularly.

I don't know if this is true at all, so don't trust a word that I say, but I think that it is more difficult for things that could contaminate your substrate to grow in water that is constantly moving versus still water.

Offline86jbmccr
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: aquarium airpump for FC humidity [Re: figurine]
    #8181387 - 03/22/08 09:10 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

IDK, personally, depending on climate, I find that a CM running 24/7 works great.

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

Loc: Gondwana
    #8181413 - 03/22/08 09:15 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Is your tote going to be a monotub style FC, or a chamber in which you will be putting trays of cased grains?

--------------------

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

Offlinejonogt
Jon
Male User Gallery
Re: aquarium airpump for FC humidity [Re: thedefone]
    #8183222 - 03/23/08 12:18 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

I'm planning to do casings. Pretty sure I want to do little semi disposable aluminum baking pans. If things work out well I may do monotub next with the same container.

would 2 of these going on separate ends of the tote work? like if I got a good pump with 2 outputs, 1 going to each airstone in each little container of water? And maybe kept the water warm? Would putting the airstones deeper in the water be more effective because the air has more time to absorb humidity, or near the surface because more splashing action happens?

I'd really like to go this route if it can work because it'd make the setup so much more self contained than my current plan with blowing the ultrasonic at it. So anyone who has had some success with it, let me know what ins and outs there are to doing it right.

thanks
-Jon

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: aquarium airpump for FC humidity [Re: jonogt]
    #8183753 - 03/23/08 03:56 PM (15 years, 11 months ago)

a bubbler system works just fine...

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: aquarium airpump for FC humidity [Re: Roadkill]
    #8185890 - 03/24/08 01:52 AM (15 years, 11 months ago)

Why not just monotub it's much cheaper. I kinda wish I monotubbed a bit for my first bulk grow instead of dicking with humidification and air exchanged. If I had realized a little study into the exact nature of the monotub would have netted me the simple intricacy's to the process I would've never dicked with marthas and air exchange/humidity setups. Hell I might not have done my cakes (even though my cake setup is killer).

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order