Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Petri Dish, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinegamemaster
Director of Fate
Loc: somewhere near you
bacillus-wetspot smell but healthy mycelium/shroom
    #818549 - 08/15/02 06:26 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

a friend of mine has succesfully spawned rye to straw/manure and produced 7-12 inch booms (just as big or bigger than mycofile's bulk neglect pics, just beautiuful textbook shrooms) off of sour smelling containers. the booms looked healthy and caused no sickness or adverse effects from consumption. nice looking healthy mycelium (rhizo).

the mycelium (one quart) spawned 2ft by 5 in container of straw/manure in one week. pins formed with wonderfully and fast.

should my friend be worried if the booms grew healthy and didnt stink of bacillus as well as didnt cause adverse effects? whats up with this? i know he should toss if any signs of contam...but cant it still be plausible to consume these???

didnt seem to be a problem? ..and dumb answers like..."just toss it" ... or anything answer that doesnt provide any technical thought...please dont bother! i need advance mycological advice and input!

peace

--------------------
doors of perception...look for your cleansing

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: bacillus-wetspot smell but healthy mycelium/shroom [Re: gamemaster]
    #819296 - 08/16/02 05:19 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

It's absolutely plausable; Bacillus in general is not a bad bacteria. . .if you put some 'pasteurized' milk from the supermarket onto agar petris, you will grow A LOT of Bacillus. The exception, of course, is Bacillus anthracis which will get you in more trouble than growing cubes!
The difficulty with any degree of contamination is that you can't say for sure that it is only a 'Bacillus' infection. Most [?every?] bacterial infection or contamination is a hodgepodge, where the byproducts of the primary infection [Bacillus in this case] form little nooks that other bacteria can thrive.
IMO, and others will disagree, if the mushroom is happy--no cap splotches, malformations, etc.--the bacteria have been tamed.
No casing, regardless of how it's prepared or how it runs, will stay 'sterile' very long.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Petri Dish, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology