Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemushroomaniac
Cattle Lover

Loc: Coconut tree #323, in the...
Hunt Log - The Trinidadian Purple Skirt Updated!
    #817191 - 08/14/02 08:37 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Hi, as you can see from my user information, I am from the caribbean island of trinidad & Tobago. I have recently promised special members of the shroomery prints of the local sacred mushroom. For those who are interested I am setting up this hunt log, with many pictures, so interested users can follow me around through the island?s habitat while hoping to get my hands on a few specimens. The mushroom we will be searching for is the infamous ?Trinidadian Purple Skirt? an extremely potent Psilocybe azurescens. To give you guys an idea of the local habitat I have included these maps...

Map of the caribbean showing Trinidad & Tobago?s location

Map of Trinidad showing areas that I will be visiting ?marked in red?

My journey will be started at Avocat, I picked my first purple skirts on the cliffs of avocat springs 2 years ago.

I have already come back from Avocat and pictures will be up today.

--------------------
We're all our father's fastest swimmers!

Edited by mushroomaniac (08/18/02 05:17 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMead

Re: Shroom Hunt Log - The Trinidadian Purple Skirt [Re: mushroomaniac]
    #817225 - 08/14/02 08:50 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Awesome I'll definately be looking forward to that.
good luck!

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #817262 - 08/14/02 09:05 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

As far as I know the P. azurescen species is only found naturally on the Northern Oregon coast and the Southern Washington coast. The climate in this area is temperate and wet. The natural fruiting season occurs when temps are in the 40 F - 60 F range and when it is very wet.

I know there are species that grow in Australia that resemble the azures macroscopically but fruit in tropical conditions. I think it is more likely you may be hunting for a similar species. Do you have any pics of the 'Trinidadian Purple Skirt' or any references?

Here is a pic of some azures I picked from past fall.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

OfflineMacey Howard
Formally MOE HOWARD
Female

Loc: Georgia
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: mushroomaniac]
    #817265 - 08/14/02 09:06 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
Hugs and Kisses!

Anonymous

Re: Shroom Hunt Log - The Trinidadian Purple Skirt [Re: Macey Howard]
    #817295 - 08/14/02 09:17 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

dude joshua that looks just like my spot i swear i cant wait till they start again this year

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Shroom Hunt Log - The Trinidadian Purple Skirt [Re: Joshua]
    #817420 - 08/15/02 08:41 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Those are fine photos! Excellent job.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Estonia
Re: Shroom Hunt Log - The Trinidadian Purple Skirt [Re: ToxicMan]
    #818070 - 08/15/02 12:29 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I am very interested in these purple skirts...very cool pics please.

Cheers

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Shroom Hunt Log - The Trinidadian Purple Skirt [Re: Joshua]
    #818160 - 08/15/02 01:14 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Joshua, Thanks for letting this person know that P. azurescens does not grow in the Caribbean.

AS for Austrlia, the Four species are their fall mushrooms which grow from May to July-August. They grow in a colder climate than a tropical climate. And again are in man made environments and scarce in the wild, at least they are not abundant in the wild.

Copelandia cyanescens and Psilocybe cubensis are the only know mushrooms growing in Trinidad and Tobago.

And also P. azurescens does not have a purple skirt or veil remnants on them after the cap opens up

mjshroomer

Why this person thinks there are P. azurescens in Trinidad and Tobago is strange becasue they do not grow in tropical climates period.

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Male User Gallery
Re: Shroom Hunt Log - The Trinidadian Purple Skirt [Re: mjshroomer]
    #818380 - 08/15/02 03:05 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I don't think that he believes that they are azurescens...more likely he made a mistake, they are probably cubies...we shall see.

Cheers

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

Anonymous

#818401 - 08/15/02 03:16 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Offlinemushroomaniac
Cattle Lover

Re: Shroom Hunt Log - The Trinidadian Purple Skirt [Re: ]
    #826042 - 08/18/02 02:47 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I was told by an experienced hunter that these mushrooms were azurescens, I have found and seen picked ones and they do resemble, for example a very noticable nipple can be seen on the caps...maybe it is a cubie that resembles a azurescens? I dont know, hopefully I will find a few, prints will be made and you guys can descide. I am not the kind of person to builkd misconceptions in others, for that I am sorry and we shall see what I find.

--------------------

Edited by mushroomaniac (08/18/02 06:35 PM)

Anonymous

#826111 - 08/18/02 03:04 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Offlinemushroomaniac
Cattle Lover

#826459 - 08/18/02 05:10 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

AVOCAT SPRINGS, North Trinidad

I first found these mushrooms here by mistake. I was climbing up a cliff at the waterfall?s baseto jump off and I stumbled on these beautiful mushrooms, and to my suprise they were extremely active.

Here we see the end of the trail, leading into the spring. We arrived there at approx 1:30pm.

A picture just to give an overall idea of the habitat, just to give you an idea

I swear, it took us 30 mins just to get through this little tree branch pile up.

The Forest Floor...

After 3 hours we have reached the location where I first found the mushroom.

We chilled here for a little while, it?s amazing how humid this place is, you can feel the moisture in the air when you breath.

Seeing that we had no luck as yet, we decided to climb behind the fall and see if our luck picked up.

While climbing behind the waterfall we noticed a bark with a few mushrooms growing out of it...?I?m really sorry for the lack of detail, future specimens will be allot more detailed!?

Looks like some kind of poisonous species anyway.

Well, we have come to the end of this journey ?Time 5:30pm?. No luck on this trip, hopefully we will find a shroom or two on the next trip.

--------------------

Edited by mushroomaniac (08/18/02 05:11 PM)

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Male User Gallery
    #827107 - 08/19/02 01:02 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Too bad that you did not find any, but the story and pictures are fantastic...cheers and better luck next time.

--------------------
- Mr. Mushrooms

St Thomas

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #827153 - 08/19/02 01:44 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Hi, again I might save you some time and troubles. The only mafgic shrooms in Trinidad and Tobago are the Psilocybe cyubensis and Copelandia cyanescens. Both of them grow out of cow manure in pasture and grazing lands on the islands.

I must say those are some nice photos and the waterfalls look cool.

mj

Offlinemushroomaniac
Cattle Lover

Re: Shroom Hunt Log - The Trinidadian Purple Skirt [Re: mjshroomer]
    #827233 - 08/19/02 02:47 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I have found this mushrrom in the forested areas a few times, others have also accomplished the same

--------------------

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #827575 - 08/19/02 07:21 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Regardless of what species the mushrooms in question actually are (judging by the specimens in the pic and the location it's safe to say that the're not azurescens) i would be interested in seeing you progress but am dubious of anyone offering prnts of a wild mushroom not known to grow anywhere near thier location and offering low quality pics from far away when they could have just as easily taken closeups that would have setteled the issue one way or the other.
So, hoping i have not offended you, i would love to see your results and would just as well like to see more nice shots of trails along the way but i, along with everyone else following your thread, would like to see something more convincing before we start believing in a hyped up "super strain".

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinemushroomaniac
Cattle Lover

Re: Shroom Hunt Log - The Trinidadian Purple Skirt [Re: canid]
    #827626 - 08/19/02 07:49 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

It is very unfortunate that this thread is quickly turning into a pile of negativity. We have already agreed on the point that this mushroom is most likely not a Psilocybe azurescens. I simply stated what I was told and with closer research http://www.museocivico.rovereto.tn.it/pubblicazioni/Annale14/art09-Guzman%20&%20C.pdf , mjshroomer was actually right in stating that Copelandia cyanescens and Psilocybe cubensis are the only know species in the local habitat. The facts are however that an active shroom, even if it is a cubensis exists in the forested areas. Many locals as well as myself have found these active mushrooms and tripped really hard on them. I never once asked people to start believing in a hyped up "super strain" and in fact I never claimed such a mushroom existed. Furthermore I choose to document this as it has never been documented before, thus proof, denoting that I am a liar' is not available. I thought that this would be a great experience for both myself and everyone at the shroomery, giving members the opportunity to see other habitats outside of North America. I have descided to stop the documentation, as I now carry the added burden of proving myself an honest individual. This is not a fun thing. Anyway, enough of this, I will continue looking for the shroom as I have promised 1 or 2 members here prints, when I find it i'll take some detailed pictures for you all too see.

--------------------

Edited by mushroomaniac (08/19/02 07:51 AM)

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #827924 - 08/19/02 09:59 AM (21 years, 7 months ago)

I am teribly soory if i have offended you. upon reviewing my post i see that it was more negative than i intended and mostly without merrit so the fault is entirely mine. please do not let my ranting stop you from providing information that would help the community.
All i can do is offer a formal retraction of my previous post and try to assure you that it is not reflective of the shroomery community at large.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Anonymous

Re: Shroom Hunt Log - The Trinidadian Purple Skirt [Re: canid]
    #828277 - 08/19/02 01:05 PM (21 years, 7 months ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder